Quantcast

TOTPs 20/04/17 (Originally aired 08/09/83)

TOTPs 20/04/17 (Originally aired 08/09/83)

08-09-83 Introduced by Andy Peebles and Peter Powell (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(28)  Heaven 17 – Crushed By The Wheels Of Industry
(3)    Rod Stewart – What Am I Gonna Do (I’m So In Love With You) (video)
(34)  Annabel Lamb – Riders On The Storm

(24)  Status Quo – Ol’ Rag Blues
(35)  Jo Boxers – Johnny Friendly
(7)    Roberta Flack & Peabo Bryson – Tonight I Celebrate My Love (video)
(21)  Ryan Paris – Dolce Vita
(27)  Paul Young – Come Back & Stay
(1)    UB40 – Red Red Wine (video)
(10)  Level 42 – The Sun Goes Down (Living It Up) (audience dancing/credits)

 We have one of 1983's most popular Top of the Pops presenters now! Well Peter Powell and Andy Peebles do work well together, I think that both are very good at this job. The summer is coming to an end now, but the summer hits are still coming on the show tonight!

We have Heaven 17 with another phenomenal single which I bet is going to be as successful as some of their other tracks.

Rod Stewart has already re-entered the charts with a follow up to Baby Jane.

Annabel Lamb won't be on Top of the Pops.

Status Quo are still going strong after being away from the show for a little while.

Jo Boxers are still having hits.

Roberta Flack is without Donny Hathaway, this time Peabo Bryson gets to make some music.

RYAN Paris was on the European charts, now he is in the Top of the Pops studio.

Paul Young is trying for another number one.

UB40 are still singing about that red red wine.

Level 42 are concluding the show with a play out track. Such a shame.

The next Top of the Pops is introduced by Janice Long and Jimmy Savile, so we will be skipping the 15/09 edition on BBC Four.

Tomorrow’s Top of the Pops will be introduced by Simon Bates and Mike Read.

Legsfan wrote
Preview Coming Shortly
OK - Looking forward to that.
I think this is the last time Flick Colby gets a credit at the end of the show. If it is, then it's the end of an era.

Peabo is a nice name

UB40's video was shot at the Eagle & Tun, Birmingham. As a few of us found last month it's been faithfully restored to its Victorian best by a Sikh gentleman after being closed for several years. Ansells is no longer on tap but there are real ales and I can recommend Mrs Singh's samosas. The pub also features on both volumes of their 'Best Of' compilations. Distinctive wall tiling visible in the background.

Yes GD, i thought of you when this was played. The `tiles` that we discussed can be seen right at the end of the video when Ali staggers past them. Also just after that scene the pillars to that large listed building see Mr Campbell sitting in a drunken stupor in the road. I think i may go the whole hog and sample one of Mrs Singh's curries when we visit that establishment again after the next Kal meeting. Not this any of this would mean anything to anyone else reading this.

I actually enjoyed this edition of TOTPs. This is a rare occurrence in 83 as ive generally disliked the rest. Some good songs on.

Apologies about the preview delay. I have a back log of work that I have been doing all evening and well into the night, but I have set some time aside tomorrow to complete today's and tomorrow's previews.

Please accept my apologies

I hope you all enjoyed the show anyway

What happened to Annabel Lamb?

sueforever wrote
What happened to Annabel Lamb?
I read on Popscene that apparently there is a ban on all Doors songs or covers of Doors songs for copyright reasons.

Gorgeous Daze wrote
UB40's video was shot at the Eagle & Tun, Birmingham. As a few of us found last month it's been faithfully restored to its Victorian best by a Sikh gentleman after being closed for several years.
Amazing pub, and the "faithful restoration" has retained all the original features
Good to have such a nice local so close to Kaleidoscope's new venue.

For a song about red wine, they're drinking an awful lot of beer

zenon
This Guardian article from 2015 explains The Doors' BBC blackout alongside Neil Young, Journey and Bonnie Raitt.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/09/dont-play-neil-young-or-the-doors-bbc-tells-djs-and-programme-makers

Thanks Zenon.  I've always thought it's weird that the Beeb can't repeat performances for which they obviously had permission to air originally but there you go.

The `tiles` that we discussed can be seen right at the end of the video when Ali staggers past them. Also just after that scene the pillars to that large listed building see Mr Campbell sitting in a drunken stupor in the road.
Curiously considering its close proximity the pillars in the video don't appear to belong to the old Curzon St Station building. There are more visible, they look less substantial, and the design at the top is different to those in that imposing edifice. And unlike that it looks like the pillars are supporting nothing more than a lintel. So it seems Ali managed to stagger a bit further than thought!

Thanks for the line-up addendum Legsfan. We do realize how much work is involved producing two previews every week and how easy it must be to get behind, so don't worry if you have to go economy size occasionally.

Thanks for the answer about the non appearance of Annabel Lamb, Ryan. Very strange that you can't show anything by the Doors. A really interesting of the USA bands of the late Sixties.

Think I'll write to the Beeb and try to persuade them that Neil Young played guitar on the Flying Pickets #1

Legsfan wrote

(34)  Annabel Lamb – Riders On The Storm
Brings new meaning to the phrase "Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out", Man

The Rubberband Man wrote
Legsfan wrote
Preview Coming Shortly
OK - Looking forward to that.
I think this is the last time Flick Colby gets a credit at the end of the show. If it is, then it's the end of an era.
^ Fake News ^

A more reliable source (Popscene) tells me the last episode of TOTP to credit Flick Colby as either Choreographer or Dance Director is 29/09/1983 - the same episode with the last Zoo routine. We won't get to see it as DLT's a presenter.

Technically Fridays show is the last time her name will appear on the BBC 4 repeats, as we all know the week after never happened in the rewritten history of BBC.

I fell asleep when this was on the TV and did not record it so only really watched it from Roberta Flack onwards.  From what I saw I enjoyed but will not go into detail as it would be biased.  Shocked about the Annabel Lamb ban.  Will read the link when I have more time.  Paul Young gave an excellent performance along with the two women on the stage.