TOTPs 21/04/16 (Originally aired 27/08/81)

TOTPs 21/04/16 (Originally aired 27/08/81)

AC/PD
27-08-81: Presenter: Richard Skinner  (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(18)  STARTRAX - Startrax Club Disco
(27)  CLIFF RICHARD - Wired For Sound (video)
(2)    SOFT CELL – Tainted Love
(26)  THE NOLANS - Chemistry
(28)  THE ROLLING STONES - Start Me Up (video)
(5)    ELO - Hold On Tight (danced to by Legs & Co)
(19)  ULTRAVOX - The Thin Wall
(12)  GENESIS - Abacab
(1)    ANEKA - Japanese Boy (backed by Legs & Co)
(29)  MODERN ROMANCE - Everybody Salsa (Legs & Co. & audience dancing/credits)

Calling all members of the Patti Platoon - Field Marshall Patti has gone Missing in Action and cannot be traced. Last seen dancing in the Georgian rain outside John's Hairdressers, from this point on, lovely Patti is absent from all further Legs & Co. manoeuvre for the next five weeks, which roughly translates as eight-ish dances. A cute injury may be the likely cause, possibly sustained after clapping her coconuts together, trapping a finger between the shells when unexpectedly popping up from out of the blue and into the white, halfway through The Caribbean Disco Show.
Still present and credit on the end credit caption, Patti & Co. appeared in all five previous E.L.O. routines- Turn To Stone, Sweet Talking Woman, Don't Bring Me Down, All Over The World and Don't Walk Away. The sixth and final one is to Hold On Tight, a record which would rise one further place to No.4 in the UK Charts, putting it on equal placement with 1976's Livin' Thing and one beneath the group's highest UK Chart position of No.3 as a sole with Don't Bring Me Down. Indeed, the Xanadu collaboration with Olivia Newton-John was the only way for them to reach the summit.
Performed in front of a bouncing audience, the feeling of being in the very same room as Legs & Co. is enhanced by the use of a rocking hand-held camera for presence conveyance, really getting 'in among them'. Believed by this writer to be the first instance of hand-held usage for a Legs & Co routine - and prepared to be corrected - one gets as much of a sense of being down the front at one of their cabaret shows without having ever been to one. By 'eck is it a strenuous routine, fully-warranting the climactic collapse from the ladies with the audience roar ringing in their ears. The one advantage of Legs going Patti-less is clear recognition of which one's Anita.
Mind you, Anita does seem to become Patti when Legs & Co. back Aneka for her one and only week at the Chart summit. While the Scottish singer sings with one of Pauline's old wigs (from Don't Stop The Music) atop her bonce, the remaining five rotate parasols and balance similar hairpieces sans the red trim. Which one's which? Well, Sue's usual fluid dancing style makes her easily identifiable as 'the one in the green kimono' and just in case further evidence is required, she's the one who instigates a conga around the studio for the playout. Party atmosphere ahoy to the strains of Everybody Salsa which was third-time lucky for Modern Romance after their two previous singles failed to curry favour with the record-buying public which gave both records, 'Modern Romance' and 'Tonight' the elbow. Feeling spurned, the group renounced their electro-pop style in favour of a carefree Latino fashion and one which would be duplicated with barely any deviation through any of their half-dozen Top 20 records. Trumpet - check; bongos/steel drums - check. Think of them as Starsound/Startrax without the range. The Leyton Buzzards was the original home of singer Geoff Deane, bassist David Jaymes and drummer Tony Gainsborough, a semi-serious punk band in Blockheads style which had flown onto TOTP in March 1979 to perform their Top 60 record Saturday Night (Beneath The Plastic Palm Trees)...with the 'switched off' oscilloscope pattern from the Something Else dance routine behind them.
With so many helpings of Legs & Co. on this particular edition, one wonders whether Michael Hurll felt as if there was far too much for his liking.
                                                                                              Anita, Gill, Lulu, Rosemary, Sue - Regs & Co.

Thanks for another great preview AC

Anita's Cheekbones wrote
27-08-81: Presenter: Richard Skinner  (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(29)  MODERN ROMANCE - Everybody Salsa (Legs & Co. & audience dancing/credits)
Well thats a new un on me. I know Legs & Co dance on the next show to Modern Romance, but didn't know they danced in the closing credits on this.

I've just watched my UK Gold copy, and the info is correct. Both Aneka and Legs & Co. are dancing to Modern Romance.

I apologize, thats a new un on me and im not sure ive ever seen that before. See what i mean, theres always stuff to learn and new surprises even this late in the piece.

SF will also have to update his Legslist then.

A great preview for this show AC, and looks a really go show tomorrow night.

Heres a thread i started from 4 years ago when i and others were a little more green on the subject, rather like the colour of Sue's costume. In it i asked about identifying the dancers on `Japanese Boy`.

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Can-you-identify-these-Japanese-girls-tp3807651.html

Excellent preview AC, focusing on the most important bits of TOTPs
I'm also looking forward to seeing Ultravox.
Two of the acts on tonight's show appeared together on the very first TOTPs, back in January 1964.

Anita's Cheekbones wrote
With so many helpings of Legs & Co. on this particular edition, one wonders whether Michael Hurll felt as if there was far too much for his liking.
Far to much MH for my liking !
Sue has recently told me that by this stage the fellow would not even allow Flick to direct the routines as she had in the days of Stan Appel, Robin Nash, and Brian Whitehouse.  What a complete *** Hurll was !

Only 3 stars! He's probably the only person I wanted sacked before I even knew who he was.
Still living in 1979

My spelling of expletives has never been premier league standard so I went for an easy one!

There's a great cross-section of musical genres there, & generally it's good, only the Nolans, & Soft Cell, didn't make the cut for the early evening broadcast this evening, & from what we did see, it was really only the Ultravox track that I didn't know, it was okay-ish.
Aneka (with Legs & Co.), Cliff Richard, Genesis, & the Rolling Stones were fantastic, it's not often that you get a drummer that sings at the same time, kudos to Phil Collins, there.
Legs & Co., also performed a brilliant dance routine to the Electric Light Orchestra.
I noticed that the Japanese parasols, from Aneka's performance, also re-emerged during that of Modern Romance, represented by a dancing TOTPs audience, a great track, for me, it has to be said.

The Summer of 1981 is definately my favourite Legs & Co and TOTP season.

Heres a thread i started from 4 years ago when i and others were a little more green on the subject, rather like the colour of Sue's costume. In it i asked about identifying the dancers on `Japanese Boy`.

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Can-you-identify-these-Japanese-girls-tp3807651.html
The HD transmission makes it so easy to pick them all out, you can see their faces clearly unlike in the online videos.
Still living in 1979

A relief and some consolation to find Patti getting top-billing in the preview. Great work all round AC...you've earned the enjoyment you'll currently be getting from a certain football match.

Startrax - Second-rate holiday camp band with the charisma of a sack of King Edwards.
Cliff Richard - A naive go at being down with the kids. But another of those 'not a bad song, for him' numbers which was often the case around the late seventies and early eighties.
The Rolling Stones - Got back to the essence of what made them appealing. As impressive as The Who with You Better You Bet in showing that there was life in the old dogs yet and not being bang-up to 81 didn't mean sounding past it.
Ultravox - Good single, the first taken from Rage In Eden, their second album with Midge Ure. It was gradually downhill from then though.

Everyone note that we should get an extended (previously unseen?) play-out of Everybody Salsa with Legs & Co in the midnight repeat.

Paperboyplod wrote
it's not often that you get a drummer that sings at the same time
Apart from Karen Carpenter, of course

Seriously, there were quite a few examples:

http://www.ranker.com/list/best-singing-drummers/rockboy
http://watchmojo.com/video/id/13362/

Yup unlike 4 years ago when folk like me were viewing the grainy on-line images and trying to make identifications of those Jappo gals. Talking of HD transmissions, i doubt if any Legs & Co routine has ever improved visually because of it than their routine to `Hold On Tight`. I found it near impossible to make any screengrabs from the avaible clips we had on the net and my Legs comments score rating for the routine will increase quite a lot after watching it in crystal clear quality.

No mention of Paper Lace in those lists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cdFuMgMkBM
Still living in 1979

In the final dance by Pans People, `Silver Star`, the song was sung by the drummer Gerry Polci.

This as been a really good show tonight. If they was one let down would be the first act on the show.
12