TOTPs 24/12/12 (Originally aired 25/12/77)

TOTPs 24/12/12 (Originally aired 25/12/77)

 Well 1977 on BBC4 comes to an end tonight, with the Christmas day show from back then. A great pity we wont be seeing the Boxing day edition screened though due to the BBC having a downer on one of the hosts. There really isnt all that much difference between the shows, and for me that is the same with the Legs routines, all 4 are very watchable. No point in me saying to much about the line ups as weve seen them all before. But ive listed both the shows running order.
 So there ends 1977, for fans of Legs & Co it was an okay year, but im sure we will all agree theres far better to come and 1978 will make excellent viewing not only in the dancing, but also the music ramps up a gear.

Listings courtesy of POPSCENE. Can i just say thanks to Popscene, they have become invaluable to me with there charts etc.

25-12-77: Presenters: Noel Edmonds & David Jensen

SHOWADDYWADDY – You Got What It Takes
DENIECE WILLIAMS – Free
(2) BRIGHOUSE & RASTRICK BRASS BAND – The Floral Dance
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER – Fanfare For The Common Man (danced to by Legs & Co)
LEO SAYER – When I Need You
MANHATTAN TRANSFER – Chanson D’Amour
HOT CHOCOLATE – So You Win Again
DAVID SOUL – Don’t Give Up On Us (video)
ABBA – Knowing Me Knowing You (video)
SPACE – Magic Fly (video)
STEVIE WONDER – Sir Duke (danced to by Legs & Co)
KENNY ROGERS – Lucille
(38) BACCARA – Yes Sir I Can Boogie
(1) WINGS – Mull Of Kintyre (video)
JOHNNY MATHIS – When A Child Is Born (Soleado) (and credits)

 THIS IS WHAT WE `WONT` BE SEEING ON OUR BBC4 SCREENS

26-12-77: Presenters: Tony Blackburn & Dave Lee Travis

BONEY M – Ma Baker
ROD STEWART – The First Cut Is The Deepest
HEATWAVE – Boogie Nights
DAVID SOUL – Silver Lady (danced to by Legs & Co)
JULIE COVINGTON – Don’t Cry For Me Argentina (video)
THE FLOATERS – Float On (video)
DONNA SUMMER – I Feel Love (danced to by Legs & Co)
QUEEN – We Are The Champions (video)
(35) ABBA – The Name Of The Game (video)
BROTHERHOOD OF MAN – Angelo
BILLY OCEAN – Red Light Spells Danger
JOE TEX – Ain’t Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman) (video)
THE JACKSONS – Show You The Way To Go (video)
ELVIS PRESLEY – Way Down (video)
SHOWADDYWADDY – Under The Moon Of Love
LA BELLE EPOQUE – Black Is Black (and credits)

bucksby
both line ups are basically the same quality wise both have Great, good & bad. Slightly prefer the boxing day one.

Poor Julie Covington yet again. The only week her record was number one was one of the 4 wiped editions from 77 and again we wont get to see her video because its on the Boxing day show. Still weve all heard it so many times by now.

Lookmacinanger
I agree with you about poor Julie Covington, but it would have been that famous video clip again anyway. At least we finally got to see what see looked like during the show Elton John presented on 15/12/77 singing Only Woman Bleed as I was beginning to think she didn’t actually exist.

bucksby
I have only just realsed today that the version of 26-12-77 that UK GOLD showed had 3 songs cut out. They were Joe Tex, Brotherhood of man & Billy Ocean, so sadly we won't get to see the whole thing after all.

It's far from ideal that we miss two, so far on BBC Four, unseen Legs & Co. performances, but at least we've already seen other versions of those routines from earlier during that year, there again it gets more painful for me when I think that we won't be seeing the best versions of those routines, Silver Lady with all six Legs & Co. dancers is surely a must-see event, compare that to the Christmas Day '77 that goes out tonight as I write this post, the newer version of Sir Duke imho, doesn't quite match up to the earlier version, but I'm looking forwards to seeing Legs & Co. giving a Fanfare For The Common Man though, I absolutely loved the video set in that white elephant that was Canada's Olympic Stadium.

I do think that defiantly the first version of `Sir Duke` is superior. As for `Silver Lady`, well both are very good, but Sue & Patti are just outstanding in the earlier version, so that just edges it for me. But without doubt for me the Boxing day version of `I Feel Love` is by far the best and its such a shame it wont be shown on BBC4.

If folk want to see the boxing day dances here they are.

http://legsandco.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/legs-co-silver-lady-again.html

http://legsandco.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/legs-co-i-feel-love.html

Just how easy must it have been for the BBC to have made that Christmas special we saw tonight. Probably filmed in early December, to a empty studio audience. Only 3 acts in the studio, the rest were those relentlessly played videos and old TOTPs footage from earlier in the year. Chuck in two Radio one DJs, dress them up to look smart, give them corny intro links and there you have it, a Christmas special.

Just a word about Hot Chocolate though. Far play to them, that Christmas studio performance by my maths was the 6th different occasion they played `You Win Again` on TOTPs in 1977. That is pretty good going, so well done to them.

Missed the first showing as we had a power cut at 1915. Hopefully more luck with the 2300 repeat.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

enjoyed Fanfare and Sir Duke

Old Bill
What was Tibybeard chucking about before they went to Hot Chocolate? I missed it..

Really loved both dances - like everyone is saying not quite as good as the first ones, but I love the Christmassyness of them especially the reindeer with Santa Floid. None of them had a red nose tho did they!?

Incidentally just over on BBC Two straight after the Pops had finished was a Morecambe & Wise thing with a quick bit of the Pan's People appearance with E&E joining in. Over all too quickly but fun none-the-less.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pmbmv abut 40 mins in or so.
Jeremiah 31:13

Not that easy for the dancers mind, in that they had four new routines to perfect for the double-bill Christmas show (ok, 3 and a bit as they must have all been able to feel love in their sleep by now).  And all done while not missing a week of the normal show.

Another double-helping of classic TOTPs

Christmas Day '77

Traditionally these seasonal episodes were simply rehashes of bits from the earlier in that year episodes, so I'll just give my hoghlights, & lowlights, brought to us by The kid, & Tidybeard.
Showaddywaddy, Deniece Williams, Hot Choclate, also good
ABBA, Baccara, Space, Brighouse & Rastrick Brass Band, great
The Manhattan Transfer, David Soul, Kenny Rogers, Leo Sayer, Johnny Mathis (re-heated from Christmas '76), Wings, mediocre, TMT sounding better in their recording studio.

The real stars of the show Legs & Co. were as great as ever, they more than make up for the inferior setting for Fanfare For The Common Man by Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, the christmas Sir Luke, by Stevie Wonder, with added Floid, was also rather good, although I still prefer the earlier Floid-less version.

Boxing Day '77

Tony Blackburn around to co-present this episode, but blanked out from BBC Four because he's co-hosting with DLT.

Boney M (great DLT appearance as announcer there), ABBA, The Floaters, The Jacksons,  great.
Queen, The Jacksons, Heatwave, Showaddywaddy also good
La Bel Epoque, Julie Covington (would've prefered a video of Julie singing Don't Cry For Me Argentina at least), Elvis Presley, mediocre.
Brotherhood of Man, Joe Tex Billy Ocean, cut out of the only version of episode available in the public domain, but if these were repeats of their performances on TOTPs from ealier in that year, they're also great, it's such a shame that they were edited out.
Once again, true to form, Legs & Co. really pulled out all of the stops with their best ever version of their dance routine for Donna Summer's I Feel Love, & imho, their greatest dance routine at leat upto that point, David Soul's Silver Lady, just so amazing, everybody's looking absolutely gorgeous there.

Paperboyplod wrote
Boney M (great DLT appearance as announcer there), ABBA, The Floaters, The Jacksons,  great.
Queen, The Jacksons, Heatwave, Showaddywaddy also good
Oh the Jacksons were on twice?
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Well spotted, just forgotten that I'd already typed THe Jacksons, anybody wanting to discuss their new year's resolutions, well I'll start the ball rolling with:-

I'll always remember to proof-read my posts, before submitting them.