TOTPs 25/02/16 (Originally aired 09/04/81)

TOTPs 25/02/16 (Originally aired 09/04/81)

09-04-81: Presenter: Mike Read    (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(7)     LYNX - Intuition
(2)     BUCKS FIZZ - Making Your Mind Up
(27)   SAXON - And The Band Played On
(39)   KEITH MARSHALL - Only Crying
(32)   DAVID BOWIE - Up The Hill Backwards (danced to by Legs & Co.)
(12)   GRAHAM BONNET - Night Games ®
(31)   PUBLIC IMAGE LTD. - Flowers Of Romance
(44)   EDDY GRANT - Can't Get Enough Of You
(24)   GILLAN - New Orleans ®
(9)     THE WHISPERS - It's A Love Thing (video)
(10)   HAZEL O'CONNOR - D-Days ®
(1)     SHAKIN' STEVENS - This Ole House (backed by Legs & Co.) ® (credits)

Unlike the no longer forthcoming edition from May 7th, there are no mute links to listen out for in this one. Radio 1's recently installed breakfast show host keeps the lip-readers redundant, coming through loud and clear in his Hong Kong Phooey jacket. How fortunate that tonight's edition is all in one piece because for one celebratory moment we get to hear Mike Read ask one of the Legs & Co. dancers if they're fond of nocturnal recreation.
Lynx provide a tone of celebration with which to get the show off to a lively start with the carnival steeliness of Intuition up to its highest chart position of No.7., a slot aided in no small manner by last month's Studio Engineers strike which bred the edition consisting of videos and repeat performances. at the time of which the single was No.41. The usual Top Of The Pops policy for the showing of videos was to employ a cut-off point of No.30, a rule which was waived for the strike-hit shows of 29-11-79 (when Peter Powell was heard but not seen) and 18-09-80 (when Olivia Newton John popped by in shorts). Mind you, whoever permitted the showing of the video to Boney M's 'My Friend Jack' when residing at No.63 on a standard edition from May 1980 may well have ingested an excess of sugar lumps at the time. Fully prepared is drummer Andy Duncan with a spare set of sticks protruding from his back pocket. Keyboardist Bob Carter's yet to return that soup bowl to the BBC Canteen.
Greetings to Keith Marshall, the guitarist who said goodbye to Hello when the glam rock outfit, which had Top Ten hits in the mid-70's with 'Tell Him' and 'New York Groove', disbanded at the end of the decade. Only Crying was Keith's sole successful solo foray into the UK charts, claiming a No.12 spot the following month.
Stalling at No.32 before going down the charts head first was Up The Hill Backwards, the fourth and final track to be taken from Bowie's Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) LP. With one talented artist inspiring another, Bowie's lyrical influence for this one was Marcel Duchamp, a French surrealist and conventional thought challenger from the early 20th Century. As with Fashion, Up The Hill Backwards received the Legs & Co. treatment. Visually, the routine resembles a whiter version of Lady Lynda with the use of studio lighting providing the clearest transparency. There's even an aerial edifice hovering once again over the ladies, one of whom is the predominant focal point throughout.
It feels a lot longer but Making Your Mind Up reaches No.2 in only the third week of chart activity. STOP PRESS: U.K.entry wins Eurovision! It was tight at the top but 136 points were enough to see off 'Johnny Blue' by Lena Valaitis of Germany, just 4 points behind, with Jean Gabilou's 'Humanahum' representing France on 125. Down in the basement, Norway did receive the infamous total of Nul points. all in all, justification for having Bucks Fizz in the studio, permitted to make consecutive appearances (the previous week a repeat) despite not yet being a chart topper.
With no sighting of Orange Juice in the Top Of The Pops studios until 1983, so goes the opportunity to serve bucks fizz to all and sundry so what's to be done with that cheap bottle of champagne going to waste at the back of the cupboard? It's Rosemary's birthday! The youngest of all the Top Of The Pops dancers, the lovely Miss Hetherington turned 21 for the very first time on 8th April, the day this show was recorded. With Simon Bates sitting at home and bemoaning his 'one week too early' position on the presenter roster, Mike Read's the man to cheerfully commemorate radiant Rosie's significant date. A nice touch with intentions as warm as the champagne proffered to toast Rosemary's 21st.
                                                                             "Eat your heart out, Batesy"

                                                                                      Champagne and Rosie

Old Bill
Super write up PD as ever! I didn't know that about the videos policy. You learn something new every day!

And happy birthday Rosie! Looking forward to her getting her bubbles and her crimps kissed by Mike.

Can't say that LC aside there's not much getting me excited here, although apart from PiL and Gillan again most stuff seems harmless enough. I think my highlight will be Shakey again, but he does have some jiving assistance.
Jeremiah 31:13

Yes great review again PD.  That last pic doesn't look like a Moet face does it?

Old Bill
PattiForPM wrote
Yes great review again PD.  That last pic doesn't look like a Moet face does it?
She's imagining Dee Dee wondering "Has Mike Read in this...?"
Jeremiah 31:13

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Great caps, the final pic captures the Rosie expression that I like the most. She pulls it a lot.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Great review PD, and nice to know it's the show where Rosie turns 21. I can't stretch to champagne, but I will certainly join in with a glass of chilled Pinot Grigio.

I'm looking forward to seeing PiL, who are minus bass player Jah Wobble. He had a bit of a wobbly and left the band in late 1980, accused of having made unauthorised use of material from PiiL's Metal Box album for the making of his own debut album Betrayal. As Wobble was not replaced, there's no bass playing on the record at all

The Rosie champagne clip used to be on the old blog, but i cant seem to find it no more. Im guessing its tucked away on YT somewhere. From memory i got the impression Rosie wanted as little to do with the champers skit as possible and appeared to be a little nervous about it. I think they just got an girl audience member to bring it over on a tray, though you would have thought they could have got a handsome waiter style geezer to do so, i mean Rosie was 21 afterall. Still it was nice of them to do this for her, even if the stuff tasted like vinegar.

Old Bill
RYAN wrote
The Rosie champagne clip used to be on the old blog, but i cant seem to find it no more. Im guessing its tucked away on YT somewhere. From memory i got the impression Rosie wanted as little to do with the champers skit as possible and appeared to be a little nervous about it. I think they just got an girl audience member to bring it over on a tray, though you would have thought they could have got a handsome waiter style geezer to do so, i mean Rosie was 21 afterall. Still it was nice of them to do this for her, even if the stuff tasted like vinegar.
Your memory is good as ever Ryan.

Spoiler warning! (If you're looking forward to the show tonight)
Jeremiah 31:13

Looks like the set got an upgrade this week

All ways a great preview PD. Just loved watching our ladies a few mintue ago.

Nice to see Julie Brown who would later be snapped up by Flick to join Zoo.
Here she is with Wesley in a fine dance from 1982:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j2q5L_GI80

It's fair to say that only Bucks Fizz, & the Whispers performed enduring tracks that have stood the test of time here, even the big Shakin Stevens hit seems to have dropped off the radar, you're now most likely to hear him at Christmas on the radio, with,...you know what!
For me, the best of the remainder bunch this week, Hazel O'Conner, (her track's growing on me, at least), Graham Bonnet, Davd Bowie (a fantastic Legs & Co., performance), & Eddy Grant, there's no sign of ether Keith Marshall, or Saxon (yet), try again later folks!

Paperboyplod wrote
Hazel O'Conner, (her track's growing on me,
I agree with you on that.

Coincidence or what that in The Whispers promo they wore red and white and in the Legs routine to it they also wore red and white. Just saying.

Old Bill
Paperboyplod wrote
Hazel O'Conner, (her track's growing on me,
I agree with you on that.
Not so sure about her loopy performance though - hadn't punk gone out with the Whisper's trousers!

Having watched Rosie properly now, I think she just turns her nose at the champers to join in with Mike's joke. She'd surely be too professional and polite to pull an ungrateful face when given a little treat. Top marks though to her for not falling for his next smutty puny-pun question. "Do you like night moves...?" "Yeah - great track." AH! Take that Ready.

Jeremiah 31:13

Not really Punk though is it. Lets call it `Late New Wave`.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
So I was watching Bucks Fizz last night and it suddenly struck me....Jay Aston looks a little bit like Gill......can anyone else see it?
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Old Bill
Not really Punk though is it. Lets call it `Late New Wave`.
All sounds the same to me!
Jeremiah 31:13

Old Bill
As P4PM might say...