TOTPs 26/05/16 (Originally aired 29/10/81)

TOTPs 26/05/16 (Originally aired 29/10/81)

29-10-81: Presenter: Simon Bates  (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(2)    ALTERED IMAGES - Happy Birthday (accompanied by Legs & Co)
(18)  ROD STEWART - Tonight I'm Yours (Don't Hurt Me) (video)
(22)  THE FUREYS with DAVEY ARTHUR – When You Were Sweet Sixteen (accompanied by Gill)
(29)  OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN - Physical (video)
(38)  TREVOR WATERS - Love Me Tonight
(13)  B.A. ROBERTSON & MAGGIE BELL - Hold Me ®
(40)  HAIRCUT 100  - Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl) (Legs & Co. & audience dancing)
(21)  OMD – Joan Of Arc
(9)    SQUEEZE - Labelled With Love
(1)    DAVE STEWART & BARBARA GASKIN - It's My Party (video/credits)

Legs & Co's final innings leaves a total on the scorecard of '306 for 7' with appearances including solo turns, duets, and accompaniments with the artist or audience. Chief selector Flick Colby will in due course grant team captain Sue Menhenick a testimonial farewell dance on the crease in the run up to Christmas as a goodwill gesture in recognition of her constant brilliance throughout.
Eight days after the 5th Anniversary of Legs & Co.'s launch as Queens of our souls, they celebrate a slightly late Happy Birthday ahead of the stage, providing 'fronting' for a second studio appearance from Altered Images although thanks to a repeat performance and two Yewtreed shows, it's the same song for three consecutive BBC4 broadcasts. Clare Grogan's discarded 'that' hat, although whether or not Legs & Co. are dancing their heels into the thing is uncertain. With 'Steve Coogan' strumming away beside the drums, the Legs are a number down. Rosie was last seen second on the left dancing in appropriate wig  during the Platinum Pop playout performance on 15th October and as a result throws out the occasional doubling up instances on their penul...penult...last-but-one group backing performance - wingers Gill and Patti carrying on regardless. Up three places to No.2, Happy Birthday would be one away for a further fortnight thanks firstly to a party and then by a piece of magic from The Police.
To the General Public, Gill has to qualify as Legs & Co's 'Quiet One' for in all the years since nervously pronouncing her name when the newcomers were asked for identification by Ed Stewart on the 21st October 1976 edition, she's been heard to utter next to nothing since. In fact, the most she's ever said was a five word sentence (and no credit for it) in an episode of Minder. For The Story of TOTP, the six longest serving members were reunited, five of them spoke but anything put forward by Gill failed to make the broadcast.
Maybe her looks say all that needs to be said and it's her beautiful physical form which provides minor accompaniment to "When You Were Sweet Sixteen", Gill's fourth solo appearance, the most recent being when she leant twirling assistance as a vision in white to Johnny Mathis's 1979 studio appearance to sing "Gone, Gone, Gone". Covering the Vaudevillian "When you Were Sweet Sixteen" - composed in 1898, popular with barbershop quartets and covered by Perry Como, The Ink Spots and Al Jolson - are a Dublin-originated folk band consisting of brothers Paul, George, Finbar and Eddie (Simon Bates mistakenly calls Paul 'David' in the intro) with Davey Arthur having been a member of Paul's group The Buskers, amalgamating with singing partnership Eddie and Finbar in 1976 as Tam Linn, renamed as The Furey Brothers with Davey Arthur a year later. Father Ted played fiddle with his Sons at the 1974 Irish Folk Festival, held in Germany. No.1 in the Irish chart, "When You Were Sweet Sixteen" will have climbed to No.14 by the time the folk group make a second TOTP appearance in November.
Fellow debutants, the jazz funk styled, Haircut 100 took their first hit single "Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)" ten places higher with a No.4 resting place and was one of four UK Top 10 singles the group - previously called Rugby, Boat Party, Captain Pennyworth and Moving England - enjoyed in just over 12 months. As with tonight's offering, Love Plus One and Fantastic Day would appear on their Pelican West LP after which lead singer Nick Heywood discovered the associated pressures and stresses of the role had a debilitating effect on his state of mind and after missing one recording session too many was unanimously ejected from the band. Once refreshed, he went solo.
Throughout the show, Legs & Co. receive no namecheck and the last we see of four of our favourite girls - Gill sits this one out - is the occasional glimpse of a skirt-wafting farewell with Anita, Lulu, Patti and Sue back with the audience, dancing to Favourite Shirts. Still, at least it's a better way to go out than to the Birdie Song, even if it is just as an accompaniment. Five years and 306 appearances...

With thanks to ANITA, GILL, LULU, PATTI, PAULINE, ROSIE and SUE

Another great preview AC, but a sad programme for us fans. The last we will see these great ladies of dance on TV. But we have enjoyed hope for fans of the wonderful Sue. In the next few weeks for her last appearance to a great routine to go out on .

A brilliant preview AC, in what is otherwise a very sad edition of TOTPs.
'306 for 7' is a magical score to set. So much fantastic dance routines over these past five years.
A great many thanks and love to Anita, Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie and Sue.

Thanks for another interesting preview AC but don't forget that Gill also went solo in her Moody Blue outfit when Danny Williams thought Dancin Easy back in 1977.  Also, in addition to Sue's I'll Find My Way Home farewell, Legs would also return to the BBC screen during the 1981 Xmas show, albeit only in a repeat broadcast of their support for that shaking Green Door.

Suefan wrote
Thanks for another interesting preview AC but don't forget that Gill also went solo in her Moody Blue outfit when Danny Williams thought Dancin Easy back in 1977.
... plus "Hot Dog"!
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

I must admit to feeling quite upset knowing Legs & Co's time on the show has now passed. Im almost grief stricken in fact, i never imagined it would feel this rotten. When OFTDs first started there was no such thing has TOTPs re-runs and it came as a nice surprise when BBC4 announced they would start repeating TOTPs from 35 years ago in the spring of 2011. To coin a phrase it only feels like yesterday, and the thing has whizzed by. I suppose the yewtree'd stuff and double helpings a week in 2016 has gone some way to making it all go a lot faster.

So its goodbye Legs, hello Zoo.

I have a horrible empty feeling at present as things just won't feel the same again with the repeats. Yes, I know we do see Sue one more time and Anita with Zoo, but an era has passed no mistaking it. As a boy (in 81) I didn't really care, but as a man I feel a real sense of loss for those halcyon days. In the words of Leonard Cohen, suddenly I feel a little older.

Wish I discovered Legs & Co earlier and I will definately miss seeing them on a Thursday evening. All the lovely Legs ladies will always have a special place in my heart, so thank you Anita, Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosemary and Sue for 5 years of lovely dance routines. and thank you to Flick for the amazing choreography.
Goodbye Legs & Co.
Don't worry I'm still here!

Yes the repeat run has been splendid and although much of the background music has often not been to my taste the standout foreground acts that were Ruby F and Legs have been a real treat every single week.

Thanks to s4e, TRM and SF for the kind 'thanks'.
Apologies for halving Gill's solo total from 4 to 2, now amended in a preview written with a heavy heart.
I do now remember her Hot Dog perch but Gill's Dancin' Easy performance escapes the memory.

Thanks to AC and Goodbye to my lovely Legs

I must admit to feeling quite upset knowing Legs & Co's time on the show has now passed.
I went through all that in 1981. This time I'm just delighted we got to see so many of the routines on BBC 4, the yewtree debacle was a bitter pill to take. However back in late 1981 I though we would never see them again so to get what we did was beyond all my expectations. The 5 years seemed to go so quickly this time!
Still living in 1979

zenon
Thanks AC for all the Legs previews you've have written over the past few years, I'll miss reading your excellent work.

zenon wrote
Thanks AC for all the Legs previews you've have written over the past few years, I'll miss reading your excellent work.
Yes can i also say thanks to AC for the TOTPs previews over these years. As a forum we have been lucky to have such a well written guy producing them, and one could see that you put quite a bit of time into the research for each show.

By the way AC, are you thinking of getting your dimples back or are you sticking with cheekbones ?

Thanks again AC for another fantastic preview, it sounds daft but all day I've been dreading tonight's show, knowing it will be the last time we see the wonderful Legs & Co on the Thursday evening repeats. I know we're only a click away from watching any of the routines online, but there was something of a buzz anticipating the coming shows. A big thanks to Anita, Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosemary and Sue, and of course Flick for coming up with the routines, Thursday evenings just won't be the same again.

Is it me that thinks that Sue and our ladies were badly treated in this episode by MH. If he knew it was the last time we saw our ladies. Why didn't give them a great send off, to thank them of there time on the show.

No it's not just you SFE.  I think we'd all sign that petition

bucksby
Very sad episode of course. Legs should have been given a proper send off. Bates could have mentioned something and Legs could have played the show out, maybe not its my party. But Legs closing the show well would give some sort of closure if you catch my drift.

Thanks for yet another great preview, AC. As everyone has said it was a sad episode.  I will continue to watch the repeats but I don't think there will be quite the same level of anticipation, however I am hoping that I will be pleasantly surprised with Zoo.

I'd like to say thanks to AC for his excellent reviews too, I was too gloomy in my earlier post to show my appreciation. Fine work, sir.