TOTPs 27/04/17 (Originally aired 06/10/83)

TOTPs 27/04/17 (Originally aired 06/10/83)

06-10-83 Introduced by David Jensen and John Peel (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(33)  Freeez – Pop Goes My Love
(2)    David Bowie – Modern Love (video)
(26)  Depeche Mode – Love In Itself 2
(28)  Meat Loaf – Midnight At The Lost & Found (video)
(24)  Nick Heyward – Blue Hat For A Blue Day
(13)  Howard Jones – New Song (video)
(38)  David Grant – Love Will Find A Way
(19)  The Alarm – 68 Guns
(10)  New Order – Blue Monday (rpt from 31/03/83)
(1)    Culture Club – Karma Chameleon (rpt from 22/09/83)
(29)  The Rocksteady Crew – (Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew (audience dancing/credits)

October is the month and Peel and Jensen are the hosts. Not a live edition this week, but upon checking the BBC Genome, they have Flick Colby listed as Dance Director. I wonder if that is just because they copy and paste the production info, or did Flick have an uncredited role? Then again, the Genome isn’t that accurate, so I bet that the 2000 Xmas special has Flick’s name all over it! We last saw the rhythm pals a month ago when they presented the late summer edition, but we’re now going into the autumn in 1983 land, but in 2017 we’re going into the summer! This looks like a strong edition, because there are quite a few synthesizer tracks.

Freeez aren’t singing IOU anymore which is a relief as I thought it was going to get to number one! Well Zoo are homeless and Flick’s back in New York, so yes, we do have Freeez in the studio. I liked that other Freeez song from 1981 which went something like “Southern Freeeeez” which was on Top of the Pops quite a few times back in the day. Oh how I miss 1981 when Legs were dancing to those Stars On songs and Adam Ant was always at number one.

One of the greatest musicians of all time can’t come to Television Centre tonight, so again we see David’s video to Modern Love. I went to the bank the other day and they were playing David Bowie’s Sound and Vision, so it being a bank I was waiting for quite a while, so while in the queue I was playing the Legs routine in my head! Anyway, back to 1983 now as I’m afraid this wouldn’t make it to number one which is a shame, but I still think the Let’s Dance album is 10/10 and still sells thousands each year.

Speaking of 1981 it’s Depeche Mode with another song which I think isn’t one of their best. When I think of Depeche Mode I think of Just Can’t Get Enough which is probably their most well-known song, but I still prefer some of the ones that didn’t make it that high in to the charts. You can tell I like my music, so if I was around back then I would probably be the person who would be keeping the music industry a float! I wouldn’t say I’m a fan of Depeche, but I think some of their music is okay.

I’ve always been a Meat Loaf fan, so you know I’m happy that they are showing one of his songs, but not this time! I have never really liked Midnight At The Lost And Found, but I would still listen to it. Meat Loaf made his big come back last year around the same time that John Peel made his Top of the Pops debut which was only last summer! I can’t remember if this made it to number one, but I’m not going to look because I’m up for a surprise!

Nick Heyward is having a surprisingly successful career which I would never have thought of in a million years as back in 1981 he was with Haircut 100, but in under a year he has established himself as a respectable solo artist, but I’m still waiting for someone to reveal how much media attention the live Top of the Pops lip sync fail got. Notice how he isn’t on a live edition, well I think we all know why that is.

Howard Jones is catching the London Underground in his latest video which I’m sure will go down well with transport enthusiasts as the LU of the 1980’s is nothing like the LU of the 2010’s, though you still get muggers and flashers which make local newspaper’s headlines around once a week. Anyway, this is a New Song which is one I am familiar with, but haven’t heard for a very long time.

I know why David Grant can’t stay away from Top of the Pops… he’s got his eye on young Carrie who dissed Legs, so that is the only mention she gets! Seriously though he is back on with another song which is amazing as I thought he wouldn’t do too well without Lynx/Imagination (I can’t remember which one he was in!) well something I will probably skip over.

I don’t mean to raise any alarms, but The Alarm is back on the show with 68 Guns which I missed the last time it was on the show, so I will be watching if it doesn’t get edited out of the show for some reason that the BBC made up just to make some extra space for more shows. BBC Four are really cashing in on this performance as all I have heard for the past two weeks is the Alarm this and the Alarm that. Well done to them for getting into the top twenty.

How does it feel to watch a performance from half a year ago? Well New Order’s LIVE! Performance from earlier in the year is getting repeated because the beeb is getting the most out of the archive…. No they only started doing that in the late 90s. The real reason why it is getting repeated is that from no-where it has re-entered the charts and has made it to number ten. I might vote for this just so that I can say that I voted for the same performance six Top of the Pops months apart!

Culture Club are at number one which isn’t a surprise as everyone knows that an image sells records! This is probably their most remembered song which I remember hearing years ago like 2010 was the year the 80s came back… well thanks to BBC Four, 2015-2017 will be the years that the 80s are bought back onto our televisions. That date is just my prediction that 1984 will be the last BBC Four year!

Say Hey You The Rocksteady Crew… sounds catchy right? Well it obviously is as someone is buying it which means that it squeezes into this edition right at the end which might be un-noticed if you don’t watch the edition from cover to cover which I’m sure we all do just to see Flick… oh wait we no longer see her name on BBC Four. That lady was just pure class and talent. She will be missed on the Top of the Pops repeats.

Tomorrow’s Top of the Pops will be introduced by Peter Powell and Richard Skinner.

Great write up as always LF, an enjoyable read. The running order is not dissimilar to one of last week's episodes if I remember correctly. Barren days for us dance fans.
This week, I are be mostly drinking piccolos

I have a Top of the Pops related question regarding the wiping's.
The 20/11/1977 edition of Top of the Pops when Legs danced to Calling Occupants by The Carpenters, well I have only ever seen an uncut version.

Was the broadcast edition wiped and the uncut version kept?

zenon
I think you mean 20/10/77 which had been due to be shown on the day of DLT's arrest.

Again another great preview from you Legsfan, not a bad show at the moment.

Thanks Zenon.
It just intrigues me that that edition is the only one from the Legs era that the broadcast edition hasn't surfaced.

Thanks S4E & CF. A less busy week, so business as usual
Apologies again for last week.

Legsfan wrote
Thanks Zenon.
It just intrigues me that that edition is the only one from the Legs era that the broadcast edition hasn't surfaced.
Sadly I can't help you. My copy is also the unedited version.
Vin

Thank you Vin. Your help is appreciated

Thanks for the preview. I must say I found this (edited) show utterly boring.

Legsfan wrote
Say Hey You The Rocksteady Crew… sounds catchy right? Well it obviously is as someone is buying it
I confess I bought the 12" single but obviously it didn't matter for the UK charts
I also bought Blue Monday (like many others it seems) and the Culture Club album which wasn't bad, really. Oh, and the albums by Depeche Mode and Bowie as well of course. My personal opinion is that the "Let's Dance" album hasn't aged too well, though. I never felt the urge to buy it again on CD. "Modern Love" for example sounds very ordinary to me today.
Vin

I'll check on the DVD set tomorrow. Quite a few of the recordings are pre all the current issues, but I have no idea what was supplied in lieu of the Yewtree'd recording. Nudge me if I forget, I've been a bit rubbish of late.
This week, I are be mostly drinking piccolos

Thanks for the preview LF.

Another poor TOTPs for me. There’s quite a contrast in quality between what we had in the first half of 1983 and the period that we’re in now.

Best on show was New Order, and as it was a repeat from earlier, kinda confirms what I said above. Barney Sumner at one point not being able to contain his laughter at the car crash performance, but being live, it had a provenance much deeper than any of the other acts could offer.

Yes I agree that 83 is deteriorating RBM, though it's still overall in 'like' territory here. I'm not sure that will be the case come this time of year in 84 though.

Despite reports to the contrary I feel we're still scrambling routines, had Legs & Co been performing the moves to Pop Goes My Love we would definitely have counted it as such. I don't know if we can legitimately call them Zoo but Sandy who was in Waiting For A Train was back again for it.

Thanks BTW for the very full preview Legsfan. Good to have you back to form. Just a little correction, when applicable the last line of your first paragraph should read 'This looks like a strong edition, because there are quite a few synthesizer tracks', not 'though'.

And you could have identified David Grant as a former member of Lynx because had he been in Imagination it would have been unlikely he'd have his eye on the future Mrs Grant.   again.

Thanks GD. Okay I have changed though to because

Thanks for the preview Legsfan. Not a great show unfortunately. I was quite surprised that TOTP was on last night as The Sky at Night was also on. I guess the BBC want to get through 1983 as quickly as possible.

Gorgeous Daze wrote
 Just a little correction, when applicable the last line of your first paragraph should read 'This looks like a strong edition, because there are quite a few synthesizer tracks', not 'though'.
Read ok to me

Congratulations on reaching the 6000 milestone btw

So I have! Cheers RBM.

I posted my TOTP question on Popscene.

That would be great! Thanks CoffeeThing

Legsfan wrote
I have a Top of the Pops related question regarding the wiping's.
The 20/11/1977 edition of Top of the Pops when Legs danced to Calling Occupants by The Carpenters, well I have only ever seen an uncut version.

Was the broadcast edition wiped and the uncut version kept?
Upon looking through Popscene, it appears that the 20/10/77 edition had been wiped and only the uncut version had been archived.