TOTPs 29/01/16 (Originally aired 26/02/81)

TOTPs 29/01/16 (Originally aired 26/02/81)

AC/PD
26-02-81: Presenter: Peter Powell    (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(19)   STATUS QUO – Something 'Bout You Baby I Like
(6)     ROXY MUSIC - Jealous Guy (video)
(26)   BEGGAR & CO. - (Somebody) Help Me Out ®
(43)   KIM WILDE - Kids In America
(25)   THE PASSIONS - I'm In Love With A German Film Star ®
(7)     MADNESS - The Return OF The Los Palmas 7
(31)   KELLY MARIE - Hot Love
(8)     COAST TO COAST – (Do) The Hucklebuck ®
(2)     ULTRAVOX - Vienna (video)
(9)     FREEEZ – Southern Freeez ®
(40)   KIKI DEE - Star
(1)     JOE DOLCE MUSIC THEATRE - Shaddap You Face (video/credits)

One of the disadvantages of BBC4's decision to screen the 1981 run on two consecutive nights per week is very much evident tonight. Five acts were seen the night before although in fairness to Kelly Marie hers is a different performance, having found the time to venture south from touring in her native Bonnie Land, a land which had jut voted her "Female Vocalist of the Year in Scotland".Abetting the familiarity feeling is the fact that Kelly heads a four in a row replay. Add a further Passion-play and a touch of Madness (albeit in the studio)  to the recipe and the brew is a familiar one. Skipping straight over a DLT sandwich filling leaves us with two slices of bread, tough to digest one after the other.
From the Dave-Is-Innocent edition, BBC4 viewers miss out on Feed Wedlock propped up by Legs & Co. sporting their classic one-small-size-for-all costumes from the Don't Walk Away routine and their own spot for a sci-fi video/dance routine to Once In A Lifetime. Two appearances then - tonight: none. Legs & Co. end the month of February 1981 just as they started it - absent. Tick, tick, tick....
"The sweet hot-shot. A video star" sings Pauline, ironically on set. Pauline Matthews is the singer, given a stage name christening of Kiki Dee by Mitch Murry, songwriter for artists such as Gerry & The Pacemakers, The Tremeloes, Georgie Fame and Tony Christie. The first white female artist assigned to the Motown label for a solitary 1970 lp - Great Expectations. Her fortunes changed when signing for Elton John's The Rocket Record Company for her own record ventures while contributing backing vocals to Dwight ditties such as 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' prior to the six week chart topping duet in 1976, 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart'. Superstitiously,  Kiki's previous two Top 20 singles released in her name only (without the Kiki Dee Band) both reached No.13 in the UK - the haunting Amoureuse and Loving & Free. Third time lucky with Star? Nope. Same place once again.
Music Mogul Mickie Most assigned the daughter of 50's Rock 'n' Roller Reginald Smith (Marti Wilde) to RAK Records in 1980 having listened to a demo track made by Wilde's son, Ricky who himself was Britain's unsuccessful child-star alternative to Little Jimmy Osmond in the early 70's. Impressed by the backing vocals heard on Ricky's demo, thus began Kim wilde's career. She pouted her way onto Top Of The Pops, her moody look a defence mechanism in reaction to nervousness and sales of horizontally striped tops rocketed. So too did Kids In America, kept from the No.1 spot by a renovating Shakin' Stevens for two weeks.
Kids In America is an exciting song wherever it's heard, even when so cheerily performed by tired and emotional buskers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ij8BpOa-Pg

Thanks PD. In spite of the many repeat performances, this looks like a good show overall. A few so-so tracks, but no real bad ones.
It's ironic that, this being the first show since when without any John Lennon records, we get Roxy Music doing a Lennon cover - and an excellent one as well.

VintageVideos wrote
It's ironic that, this being the first show since when without any John Lennon records, we get Roxy Music doing a Lennon cover - and an excellent one as well.
Yes it is, probably my favourite Roxy track.
Still living in 1979

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Are you going to preview the Yewtreed episodes in between when the would have been shown on BBC4 or wait for the 35 year anniversary? As we won't be voting until the anniversary week I for one don't mind either way
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Another great read again PD. Just watched it and two good acts were on this programme tonight.

Kim Wilde & Kiki Dee really steal this particular show, with two great performances, & I liked the way Kim stood there in front of the studio audience, as if she was about to give them a lecture about the art of music, & didn't she look so beautiful.
Elsewhere, on the show, there seemed to be a lot of saxophones, but was that one, in the performance of the appropriately chart-placed Madness, real?
The top ten singles, was certainly one hell of an eclectic chart, & just one more question;-
Was that Midge Ure throwing a custard tart in Joe Dolce's face, at the end of the Shaddap You Face video performance?

I'll post it tomorrow.

No preview for the shows untransmitted by BBC4, RNOF. (2 a week's enough!)
Mikey's in the habit of presenting them by way of listing the acts on the schedule and VHS links, accompanied by a few brief lines of introduction.

Yeah no point in waiting until the actual equivalent broadcast date else we'll be weeks behind. As long as a serviceable copy is around i'll post it.

Some thoughts on this show

Quo - i'm sure Pete got the name of the song wrong on his link, other than that standard Quo track, ok i guess
Roxy Music - Great track, on its way to a deserved no 1
Kim Wilde - Very good first performance, a catchy debut
Kiki Dee - was this the theme for opportunity knocks?, anyway i did enjoy this but Roxy gets my vote
Joe Dolce - i think the singalong factor is quite infectious, you almost got me joining in Joe you git.

Pauline's Dimples wrote
One of the disadvantages of BBC4's decision to screen the 1981 run on two consecutive nights per week is very much evident tonight. Five acts were seen the night before ....
My bad. I thought it was six of the acts that I'd seen the night before. Then I realised it was Status Quo with another stage performance that is as predictable and repetitive as the chords they play on their guitars

Kiki Dee performed alone on stage with her name up in lights. Did anybody spot the stage technician sticking his head out of the set to check the smoke was blowing in the right direction – kinda spoiled the isolated performance.

For me, the pouty Kim Wilde stole the show with “Kids In America”.

Judging by the low amount of comments most people feel the same as me - not much to say about this repeat-heavy edition.

Jealous Guy I definitely feel is superior to the original.
I like early Kim Wilde a lot. Chequered Love was a bit of a so-so follow-up but Cambodia, Water On Glass and View From A Bridge are all good.
Kiki Dee was OK.
Away from the TOTP studio performance the Joe Dolce joke had already worn very thin.

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Judging by the low amount of comments most people feel the same as me - not much to say about this repeat-heavy edition.
Not helped by the lack of the all popular resident dance troupe who again are not required.

bucksby
some of Peter Powell's links seem very short & abrupt on this show. I was convinced UK GOLD had edited some of them during their transmission but looks like I was wrong. Great show overall just no legs

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
A lot of people mistakenly believe that 1986's classic "Snooker Loopy" by the Matchroom Mob is the only time a professional snooker player has made it into the charts and on to TOTP.....so it's nice to be reminded of the week when former world No.2 and 3-time world championship semi -finalist Tony Knowles struck gold with this John Lennon cover.....