TOTPs 29/12/17 (Originally aired 27/12/84)

TOTPs 29/12/17 (Originally aired 27/12/84)

27-12-84 Introduced by Lenny Henry. (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(3)    Spandau Ballet – Only When You Leave
(3)    Ultravox – Dancing With Tears In My Eyes
(2)    Slade – My Oh My
(2)    Neil – Hole In My Shoe
(1)    Chaka Khan – I Feel For You (video)
(2)    Shakin’ Stevens – A Love Worth Waiting For
(3)    Bronski Beat – Smalltown Boy
(2)    Paul McCartney – No More Lonely Nights (video clip)
(1)    Paul McCartney – Pipes Of Peace (video clip)
(3)    Bananarama – Robert De Niro’s Waiting
(1)    Lionel Richie – Hello (video)
(2)    Black Lace - Agadoo
(1)    The Flying Pickets – Only You
(3)    Joe Fagin – That’s Living Alright
(1)    Stevie Wonder – I Just Called To Say I Love You (video)
(2)    Ray Parker Jr - Ghostbusters (audience dancing/credits)

**Chart positions indicate the highest position the record climbed to in 1984**

This is my final preview. 1983 and 1984 have been really good years to write about, but my time is up and I hope that in the future you’ll look through the archive between 1977 and 1984 when you re-watch some of the editions. I know that when 1981 is shown in a few weeks, I will be reading through AC/PD’s previews before I watch the shows (that’s if I stay awake!)

The number one, two and three hits of the year on this edition which is the second festive edition of Top of the Pops from 1984 and will probably be the last festive edition we see for quite a while.

Lenny Henry makes his Top of the Pops debut which should be interesting to see. Well it was good that they didn’t ask Savile to come back for the festive show or we would have missed some really good hits like that one by Stevie Wonder.

Though for this edition I am hoping that they show a reduced video to Lionel Richie and play the whole Ghostbusters track and maybe the whole Stevie video.

This edition seems slightly longer than the Christmas edition, so hopefully we see the whole edition in the early showing, though it wouldn’t surprise me if they edit something good to make it shorter.

That’s it from me, a slightly compact preview. I will still comment on the editions, but I hope that you’ll re visit Legs & Co in January and enjoy the 1985 editions.

Top of the Pops returns in 2018 with 1981 and 1985.

It as been fantastic to read your previews of 1983 & 1984 Legsfan.

As always, thank you Sueforever.

zenon
Thanks for all your previews over the last 12 months.

Talking of how much longer we'll see a festive edition again well Xmas 1985 is unlikely due to Jonathan King, we will see Xmas 1986, Xmas 1987 is out due to Mike Smith but every Xmas show afterwards is safe assuming there are no further banned presenters although The Timelords featuring Gary Glitter would have to be edited out of Xmas 1988.

Have a Happy New Year!

It's criminal how one of the big No. 1's of the year, Nena's "99 Red Balloons", was completely ignored for both Xmas shows while even a couple of No. 3's were featured.

How strange. 99 Red Balloons is well remembered, even today. Can't have been an oversight, that would be ridiculous. Must have been some other reason. I think we have a mystery here.

And well done to Legsfan for his sterling work throughout the year.

Bananarama not bothered having kept Robert de Niro waiting :-

Thanks indeed Legsfan for your many hours of work in 2017 as the preview scribe. Understandably in this chilled season a finale that let the year in question do most of the talking, but little wonder you still found space for a couple of Stevie mentions. I think we all owe a debt to Alexander Graham Bell.

I had some trepidation about Sir Lenworth of Dudley, but I think he just about pulled it off with his multiple characters. In fact the show was a better watch than I'd expected. What with 83's Christmas No.1 and 2 both performed (Slade always good for Christmas and doughty sole survivors from 73's festive edition that we were treated to on Christmas Eve) and Lenny's joviality this one had a bit more of a festive feel.

I'm equally mystified by Nena's absence. Particularly needed with the dearth of females this Yuletide!

Thanks ER & GD. Top of the Pops 1985 starts on Friday, 12th January at 7.30 with the usual edited showing.

Signing off with Banarama and Stevie Wonder on the show, Legsfan, how appropriate for you!
Thanks for the '83-'84 previews.

Brief but enjoyable links from Trevor McDoughnut, Delbert Wilkins, P.C. Ganja etc. He was alright back Len.

Thanks AC/PD.
Presenter screencaps now complete for all BBC Four editions from 83-84.

Legsfan wrote
Top of the Pops 1985 starts on Friday, 12th January at 7.30 with the usual edited showing.
It's 40 mins long (7.30 to 8.10) so it could even be an unedited showing

I assumed that 7.30 instead of 8.20 meant it would be edited. Thanks for the correction Vin

NickGregory92
All in all, I thought it was a very good show with a great selection of songs to round off the year with. Never thought I would take to Lenny Henry as presenter, but I must admit he pulled this one off and his various character guises made for enjoyable viewing.

And once again, many thanks to LegsFan for another terrific preview, not to mention all your hard graft on the previews for the '83 and '84 shows.

What I meant to say instead of , was that I was surprised that all videos were kept in full length, though unfortunate for Hello, but really good for Stevie and Chaka.
10/10 edition.
Devoted to Pan's People & Legs & Co.