TOTPs 30/06/17 (Originally aired 16/02/84)

TOTPs 30/06/17 (Originally aired 16/02/84)

Legsfan

16-02-84 Introduced by Simon Bates and Peter Powell. (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(34)  Slade – Run Runaway
(3)    Thompson Twins – Doctor Doctor (video)
(8)    The Style Council – My Ever Changing Moods
(19)  Shannon – Let The Music Play (video)
(36)  Matt Bianco – Get Out Of Your Lazy Bed
(11)  Nena – 99 Red Balloons
(27)  Break Machine – Street Dance (credits)

Like yesterday I do not feel that the time is right to post a preview as we are all still getting to grips with the recent tragic news regarding Ruth.

I haven’t really been feeling all that cheery lately and feel that a full on preview wouldn’t’ be appropriate in these days of mourning.

Like yesterday’s preview, any comments about the show are welcome in this thread, though really I am still quite upset about the news and really the last thing on anyone’s mind is the latest edition of Top of the Pops.

I will resume normal previews starting next Thursday, but for now I think that it would be best to have a time to reflect on the news that we have been given.

Even today I am still very sad and just can’t believe that she is gone.

I hope everyone can understand why I don’t feel it is right to post something like a preview at a time like this.

Next Thursday’s Top of the Pops will be introduced by Janice Long and Mike Read.

TV listings indicate that the whole edition will be shown at 7.30 because of JK edits.

Of course, Legsfan. Looking at the playlist I'm intrigued by that Shannon record. Had forgotten all about it, but remember it to be a great and unusual piece of music. Looking forward to hearing it again.

I did think that it was a Barry White cover, but it turns out it has nothing to do with him. Just the same song title.

Legsfan wrote
TV listings indicate that the whole edition will be shown at 7.30 because of JK edits.
Nope. They cut out Shannon which was very strange.

They make so many odd decisions with the edits.
This week, I are be mostly drinking piccolos

BBC Four edits Shannon again!
Shannon was missing from the late showing.
Anyone know why?
Edit: Apparently like Baby Come To Me last year, it was linked to the JK segment.

The strange thing like last nights removed performance, Shannon was on the BBC website's TOTP episode guide.

Evelyn Small forgets what year it is.

Presenter screencap.

Thats a weird one , i really like 'let the music play' and also 'give me tonight' is pretty good too

That's very annoying. I've noticed the Saturday night repeat is just 25 minutes too. This is getting ridiculous now, even if a couple of seconds of JK impinged on the track surely they could get around that. Come to that, why is the FGTH ban still in place. The BBC has a usable copy of Relax from an earlier show, why not just drop it in. Back in the Legs days they dropped in the routines for Your The One That I want and Summer Nights week after week because of copyright issues, so why can't they do something similar now? It's as if they want to destroy the audience for the show. And don't get me started on this continued Mike Smith nonsense...

Share the frustration over LTMP - that's one of the greatest club hits of the decade they've senselessly deprived us of I'll have them know. Suggest a protest reissue with a ! appended.

My fave out then but I still enjoyed it. Slade are always good for a rousing start. And I think that's the only one from Matt Bianco that I (quite) like. Only The Style Council I disliked, Weller getting blander and blander making music for the yuppies he despised.

For the Shannon fans.

My digital TV listings and the BBC still list it as being on the Saturday showing.

Neil B has put up the full show including the JK bits on 4shared, good news.

https://www.4shared.com/video/ucVoXkHGei/TOTP_1984-02-16.html

Thanks Mikey!

Yeah, i can see the editing would be tricky on that one, but we've had clunky edits before lots of times.

Good show tonight.  Interesting to see Slade still charting in the eighties.  Thompson Twins video really good.  Style Council track really fantastic and Paul Weller's voice is just magical.  Matt Bianco's track I had never heard before but excellent jazz track.  Attractive looking group too - well groomed.  Pass on Nena.  Break Machine passable.

Thers been a bit of chat this evening about cheerleaders from the 02/02/84 show. My main concern is the beauty from 16/02/84 show who has returned after making a few appearances back in 1983. A while back i made a post on one of these threads asking if anyone could identify her, sadly to no avail. I remember her face so well from back then and i thought she was quite gorgeous. You will find she sticks around for quite a while now. If anyone can put a name to her i will be grateful. I used to think she was to good for TOTPs, then again i thought she resembles a page 3 girl too !

It's Gina Keer I believe.
WTH

It is, I just found the BBC 4 tweet! She was a 'model' as well, but a bit more top shelf than page 3!