Quantcast

TOTPs 30/12/16 (Originally aired 23/12/82)

TOTPs 30/12/16 (Originally aired 23/12/82)

23-12-82: Presenter: David Jensen (Live)  (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(39) THE MAISONETTES – Heartache Avenue
(3)   DAVID BOWIE & BING CROSBY – Peace On Earth – Little Drummer Boy (video)
(28) INCANTATION – Cacharpaya (Andes Pumpsa Desi) (accompanied by Zoo)
(2)   SHAKIN’ STEVENS – Blue Christmas
(43) IMAGINATION – Changes
(26) ABBA – Under Attack (video)
(33) KEITH HARRIS & ORVILLE – Orville’s Song
(1)   RENÉE & RENATO – Save Your Love (video)
(8)   MODERN ROMANCE – Best Years Of Our Lives (audience/Zoo dancing and credits)

As was the case in 1981, the decision was made to make the final Top Of The Pops before Christmas '82 a LIVE event with, once again, tried and trusted David Jensen in charge of proceedings. Although a day earlier this time around, it's still excitingly close to Christmas so there's no point in having Simon Bates in charge as everyone knows what time of the year it is. Being an early 80's live show, the lottery of whether or not to record the live links once again comes into play. With no foresight into the merits of repeating Top Of The Pops, a BBC engineer chose not to take a feed from Jensen's microphone into the recording equipment so, as with the editions from 22nd July and 5th August, this pre-Christmas broadcast existed in 'as broadcast' form through VHS off-airs recorded at the time. Once again, thanks must go to TOTP expert Paul Watkins, creator of the Nostalgic Music TV website, OFTD's 'Chris' and 'AndeeBee' for possessing, providing and pushing the BBC to see the wisdom in transferring every Jensen utterance from domestic recording and into the audio mix present in the BBC's own archival copy. Otherwise, BBC4 would have had three less to show in 2016.
Maybe the engineer was off with Crew 7 in getting a Christmas greeting into a prime position:

The upbeat 60's musical arrangement and 'girl group' backing make the prospect of living in Heartache Avenue sound not so much painful but exceedingly pleasurable. Spearheading the image of black & white days gone by - at a time in the 20th Century began to tick all the right nostalgic boxes in becoming permanently retro cool - is City Boy Lol Mason. Lol took the lead role when performing Hapkido Kid in the Spring of '76 and co-contributed on keyboard before sending a delirious, phased phone call to a permed blonde for 1978's 5-7-0-5 TOTP performances. Recorded on the aptly named 'Ready Steady Go label, the two backing singers on show differed from the female vocals on the record for, in a reverse case scenario of the Tight Fit line-ups, the recruited girls couldn't sing...but they looked good visually, hence their presence. A wonderful one hit wonder, Heartache Avenue reached No.7 in the UK.
Pan-pipes (swap the 'i' for an 'ole' and you've got an anagram...) , quena flutes and common or garden guitars are available in all good school music room cupboards and also in the hands of Incantation, providing further variation to the 1982 charts with the South American themed, atmospheric instrumental 'Cacharpaya (Andes Pumpsa Daesi)' (ha!). Conjuring up tribal lifestyle images, David Jensen brings a halt to the images fired up by declaring the group hails from just off the Chiswick High Road. Swept up in the camera shots which accompany this No.12 hit are Zoo in full festivity dancing mode.
Represented by Swedish video, Under Attack was the final single released by ABBA, their farewell notice when disbanding in this month. It's a low key finish for the true Super Troupers who amassed 9 UK No.1's. Understandably, Under Attack isn't one of them, reaching No.26.
Perplexingly, a song featuring an incontinent green duck somehow improved upon ABBA's final chart position by 22 places. However, the fact of the matter is that Keith Harris & Awful flew all the way up to No.4 once December 1982 had given way to January 1983. In this instance, thank heavens Legs & Co. had left the TOTP studio. Otherwise they may have found themselves yearning for the good old days of The Birdie Song. With a swift up the backside, I'm sure they could have taught Orville how to fly.
Rather than slave away in the workshop in preparation for his one-night-a-year job, Father Christmas turns up for a quick exchange of words with David Jensen before the presenter closes the show. How will Renee and Renato spend Christmas night? They're going to have it off. Speaking of Modern Romance, somewhere in the playout can be found members of Zoo. With dance troupes receiving such a marginal role in Top Of The Pops circa 82/83, they may as well have it off too.

Thanks for the 1982 previews AC/PD! You've done a wonderful job qnd I have enjoyed every single word you have written. I look forward to 1983!

I see Blue Peter were in for Blue Christmas

Peter Duncan & Simon Groom

Thanks from me too ACPD for your great work in the former 1982.  This one is not a promising looking show from this man's perspective but a highly amusing review and I want to thank you personally for reminding me of the "having it off" phrase which I haven't heard on this side of the Atlantic for donkey's years.  Hope you're not working either over New Year ACPD if you catch my drift.

Thanks Legsfan and thanks to you too P4PM.
Particularly pleasing to have reminded you of times long ago.

Bravo! Magnificent write-up! Ooh matron

A great preview again AC/PD, I will be waiting for preview for 83 with baited breath.

Thanks for the preview, AC/PD. And for your sterling work previewing all the shows. It's much appreciated.

I knew I'd seen that bloke from The Maisonettes before somewhere! Yup, City Boy, from happier times. If you hadn't pointed that out it would have driven me mad. The Keith Harris thing was awful, but fair play, he was a superb ventriloquist. I think he did it live.

Totally confusing situation with Zoo on this edition, as they reappear after a six weeks lay-off. They are difficult to pick-out mingled amoung the many over excited cheer leaders and whooping audience members. I guess they were only on this show as a bit of a warm-up for Christmas & New year as they disappear again once 1983 begins for around 8 weeks. Indeed its really quite surprising the Zoo experiment carried on after Hurll's disdain for a resident dance troupe, however fragmented they are.

Its noticeable that the same dancers are credited on the shows from the 23rd, 25th & the live show from the 30th. One can only assume that we cant hold to much stock regarding these credits, as surely the same 12 dancers were not on all three shows.

Send Your Love is a truly dreadful record for a Christmas #1
Kenny Everett"s version gives some solace :-

I haven't had a chance to see this show yet but it doesn't look great!
However I would like to thank AC/PD  for all his previews this year. No one has been more affected by the double episodes but he has risen to the challenge superbly.

Whoever wrote Cacharpaya must have had some really good drugs

I think Tina Charles would have made a perfect singing partner for Renato

Haven't you taken your medicine this morning?

Thanks for the reminder

Very kind of you to say so, OGW and yes, what you say about the scheduling is, as we spoke about in Derby, quite correct.
Thanks sueforever for your polite comments and to ER too.

AC/PD's achievement in rising to the unexpected and dauntingly relentless challenge of doubling his workload with no dilution in the research, quality of writing, humour and all round must-readability is nothing short of outstanding. Well done Sir! (Well lesser sorts have just found themselves ennobled, so why not?)

Well not the best show to end a year that overall I've much enjoyed. I like Imagination but they're a reversal of that Victorian belief about children: they should be heard but not seen. I liked Incantation. Possibly the first pan pipe hit since Light Of Experience? And I'll give some rare credit in these quarters to Modern Romance. Their best hit and a good play-out song for the party season.

This was the last ever TOTP credited to have charts compiled by the British Market Research Bureau (BMRB). From January 1983 Gallup took over the BBC's official charts ending 13 years of the BMRB.

I've changed my mind; I think Orville would have made a better singing partner for Renato.  I must also strongly agree with TRBM that the Bowie/Bing video looks very awkward.  I really think only the opening act and the playout song are creditworthy here.  Sorry to be such a grouch but I can only feel sorry for the excellent Mr Jensen here