TRAGEDY [February]

TRAGEDY  Dance/performance number 152 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Bee Gees  reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  22/02/79  Duration of dance 2.47 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      136
Pauline 135
Patti     132
Rosie    132
Gill       128
Lulu      127
A link to the dance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELiSSFo4rBo

This performance was first shown on the 22nd of Feb 1979. Due to the fact this show was hosted by the unfortunate DLT, it will be Yewtree`d. It will however be repeated on the next show which will be hosted by Mike Read, when the song will be at number one in the charts.

EDIT***I now understand the repeat to be shown on the weeks this is at number one will have pictures of the Bee Gees overlayed over the routine. Of course the full undisturbed routine will be shown this Christmas.
Also can i ask all members (well members who might understand what im talking about here) to not mention the self publicist from Northern Ireland by name who bizarrely at one time was linked with this and the next Legs dance the following week. I will delete any mention of her name if you do.
Legs & Co danced to six Bee Gee songs in total. Its arguable that all six were very good routines and the final three, starting with this are all worthy contenders for maximums. I referred to this routine the other week as Flick's masterpiece. It always amazed me how the woman came up with different ideas every week and dressing our ladies up as Pierrot clowns was simply genius.

The dancers played their parts perfectly, with Sue showing her acrobatic skills on the chair. The chair is central to the routine and each of the girls make use of it, Patti's `pulling the chain` gesture for one ! The routine culminates with one of my iconic scenes in all of Legs & Co when Rosie collapses in the chair (see pic 3 above).

I absolutely love this performance, and its just one of the reasons im a fan of this dance troupe more than any other. They were so versatile and could turn their hands to any routine and make a success of it. I have no hesitation in awarding top marks, `10 out of 10`.

DOTD--`Patti the perfect Pierrot`.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

PattiforPM
This performance is quite beautiful and in my opinion no choreography has ever better suited it's music than this piece.  The costumes are so right one simply can not imagine any alternative.  The poses and the faces are sublime.  My favourite part is the patterned individual dance moves to the first chorus but there are simply too many highlights to cover here.  It is a tribute to Flick and her Dancers that they clearly do not need flesh showing or sexuality to be utterly riveting.  My DotD has to be Patti, who is featured several times to great effect here.  My mark is an unequivocal 10/10 for the very pinnacle of achievement from a generation's best choreographer.  My glass is raised

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

It was performances like this that set Legs & Co apart as the supreme dance troupe.  Having been a master of her art for many years Flicks hits even greater heights with this truly mesmerising dance routine.  The ladies carry off the moves with poise, panache and character and this is well deserving of an 11 let alone a 10.
And the Dotd?  Well Patti may be close to being the perfect Pierrette but from the moment the curtains open and Sue flings her arms in the air she holds my attention for the duration.
So 10 for the routine with Sue as the Dotd.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

This dance routine could've had many younger viewers diving behind the couch at home, when they caught sight of these clowns, but for those brave enough to watch, would've seen, a graceful performance of generally comedic shenanigans , from silly head stands, with legs waving in the air, to a series of dangerously looking moves involving a garden chair, but as there was only one, each dancer had to take their turns to use it for the normal purpose of sitting down, but I found it very hard to identify each of the ladies, Patti comes across most distictive however, but this a routine, that obviously gets each of the dancers playing equally signoficant roles.

8/10

DotD:-

Patti

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

PaulF
My pet hate again. Can't even spot a pout in this one, but I think I recognised Sue on one occasion. I seem unable to get over this ID problem and it certainly takes too much time trying to identify our beauties which takes away any delight for me from watching this routine. 6/10.

DOTD Sue.
Paul

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Tragedy that this doesn't get shown due to poor old DLT facing another BBC ban, people don't really like the guy do they.

Anyway, i have seen this routine many many times, and knew what to expect.

It really is a brilliant well crafted mini melodrama played out by the Legs company, with wonderful over exaggerated mime movements, excellent use of the chair and the coup de grace before the final chorus, Rosie being shot and collapses into chair.  Superb, even with Patti trying to hand the rose to Rosie, and just tucking it into her arm.

Stunning and heartbreaking top notch dance sequence flawlessly and sublimely executed by the six girls at the top of their profession, one of those masterpiece routines.

Scores on the doors: had to 10/10

DOTD: Sue with her scissor kicks and sad face staring at the camera.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Colm
Can Northern Irish non-self-publicists comment on the dance though, Ryan?

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Non-self-publicists from Northern Ireland are free to comment Colm.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Colm
Given my chosen profession, some would say I could lean to the self-publicist side, but I'll take my chances...

This is an intricate and well-choreographed routine, with the pierrot costume an inspired choice. Flick's focus on storytelling is a great match for the song, and the performers step up to the plate and more.

DotD: For best suiting the costume, Patti

Score: 9.5 (I can't quite give it a 10 for some reason...)

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

SuPaLu
An inspired piece of work by Flick,and perfect performance by Legs & Co.Genuinely affecting from when Rosie is shot;the reaction of the others;the red rose being passed down and laid on Rosie;final wave goodbye.I'm glad Flick had Rosie come to life and wave goodbye before the curtain closes;it would have been too grim to leave her there apparently dead.It's a mini masterpiece of theatre,full of pathos and drama,and perfectly complimenting a great song.Little wonder this routine was used four times,they couldn't have improved on it.10/10
DotD:Rosie

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Lookmacinanger
Tragedy is too vivid a description for this routine but it will need all the good publicity it can get to sway my opinion. One for the connoisseur (instead of the Dads) is my take of this literal interpretation of the track. I will salute the versatility of the dancers in becoming mime artists but will question if we need an identity parade has it become a parody itself. 6/10. Dotd, Patti (educated guess)

(sorry about that ladies)

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Adorable Gillusion
4.5/10   DOTD...Patti

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Andeebee

Would like to see what AG does score as 10/10

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

PattiforPM
LOL great pic ADB

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

PattiforPM
Sorry boss, will try to stay on track

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Adorable Gillusion
Err...Night Fever, Le Freak, Heart Of Glass? Proper dancing and proper attire

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

VintageVideos
Highly original, superbly executed, one of a kind, this routine seems to have it all. Yet I can't award the highest mark. With their sad faces and the pierrot dresses this could never be one of my top favourites. But as there can be no doubt that it is an artistical highlight in their career I think it still deserves

9 / 10

PotD: Patti

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Mikey
The Bee Gees evolution from disco to this synth pop sound was swift, and for me at least this is my favourite of theirs. Good source material is often the key to a good routine, letting Flicks imagination run wild and creating a visual treat such as this. Ok, so the scene is stark, the only touch of colour a red flower, the only prop a garden chair, and yet Flick has created 3 minutes of drama to match that of the song.

Clowns are not my usual cup of tea, but these are no ordinary big shoe'd idiots, the whole feel is one of sadness and played excellently throughout, culminating in the gunshot/death scene and passing of said flower from person to person. Whilst not one i would choose to watch often, i have to commend the route taken as both original and daring (for a pop show) and therefore give it 10/10.

DOTD Patti