TRAGEDY [February]

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

GiLuRo
Although I find it quite difficult identifying which girls are which in this routine, this is still a performance I absolutely love. I think this is all rather sad, and the idea of having the girls as clowns and doing a short play rather than the usual  dance routine once again shows Flick's imagination and creativity, and also our lovely ladies skills as dancers to be able to carry it off. There's not much more I can say that hasn't already been said, just to agree that the timing of the girls is outstanding, and with so much going on one mistake could easily have spoiled things. Fantastic use of the chair too, which finishes with poor Rosie getting shot (although she does thankfully come back to life at the end), and I love the rose being passed along the line.

Rating 10/10

DOTD Very nearly Rosie or Sue, but in the end I decided on Patti

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Nice to see another member here appreciating this very creative routine, skillfully executed by the six performers.

With GiLuRo awarding it its 14th maximum ten, it rises to the lofty heights of number 48 in the Top 75 Legs & Co chart. Even more bizarrely, and this shows how strong a year 1979 was, it only sits at 16th in this years table. It remains the most divisive of routines amoungst us that Legs have performed to.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Everything'sRosie
This is a masterpiece. My favourite L&C routine, and I'm in awe of Flick's brilliant choreography and the sublime execution of the moves by the girls. To think they only had a few days to put this together too.

I've taken my time reviewing Tragedy, patiently waiting for this fortieth anniversary to come around, and also because I wanted to do a review that did it justice. Pierrot was, of course, a male character who was forever pining for the love of his "little dove" Columbina. Although Pierrot ladies did later appear, famously in the picture below: The Lantern Bearers by the American artist Maxfield Parrish. Maybe Flick saw this painting once upon a time and it stayed in her head.

But why is this routine so great? I'm loathe to break it down as it should be seen as one continuous performance, but to me the magic lies in the various poses held for those fleeting moments, like instant paintings, and the silky smooth transitions in between. So inventive, and so much to see and entice. Such is my obsession, I've even watched it with the sound turned down so as to enjoy it in the great mime tradition. I also find that it helps me to identify the girls, but here lies the incongruous crux of the matter, the white face is supposed to impose an anonymity on the performer, to see behind the mask is to defeat the object. Therefore, I prefer to think of the girls solely as the collective characters they play, not the dancers we know and love. It seems to add an extra power to the performance.

The red rose at the end is an enigmatic touch, symbolically passed from girl to girl, and then placed on the breast of the stricken Rosie. In Christianity, the red rose represents the blood of the crucified Christ, and here it is also used as an object of resurrection. Life is restored as the disciples leave the tomb...or stage.

If I had just three minutes to live I would spend it watching this routine. How apt it would be to have a melancholy Rosie waving goodbye as the curtains close. Oh, and the records not bad either!

Rating: An enormous TEN of course.
DotD: All the girls play their parts brilliantly, so they all qualify. I'd pick Rosie but she spends the last 30 seconds sat on a chair, and so I'll choose Lulu because I find her looks to camera particularly haunting.

Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. A big thank you to all involved.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

What a brilliant review ER, i love your enthusiasm for this routine. Its a routine i also labelled as `a masterpiece` and that term suits it well.

If i was to have one very minor gripe about the routine, i think id have preferred Rosie to have stayed in the tragic dead position at the end and for the camera to pan away from her keeping that pose. Im not sure why she had to come back to life and give the wave. Maybe it was something to do with the `life restoring` theme that you refereed to. Anyhow the Rosie dead image remains an iconic shot.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Everything'sRosie
Thanks Ryan. I would have loved to have sat down with Flick to talk about this brilliant routine over a drink. I hope she realised how appreciated her work was.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

This is quite literally a brilliant dance sequence. I can't add much more than what ER has said, as he's hit the nail on the head with his review and I'd only be repeating what others have said.

It's officially awesome 10/10
😇🏳️‍🌈 You only need one 'ism' in your life, and that's Luluism  🏳️‍🌈😇

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

The Rubberband Man wrote
It's officially awesome 10/10
Indeed awesome, yet the latest 2 maximums, bringing the total to 16 for Tragedy, simply reinforce the fact that this is the ultimate `Marmite` routine as it wallows in only 54th place in the Legs & Co top 100 (it was 67th before these last two ratings). Quite remarkable.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

it wallows in only 54th place in the Legs & Co top 100
...and that's the real "tragedy"
😇🏳️‍🌈 You only need one 'ism' in your life, and that's Luluism  🏳️‍🌈😇

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

PattiforPM
I agree and great review of a great dance ER.  Definitely on my Flick's Greatest Hits DVD

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Everything'sRosie
54th place is way too low for the magnificent Tragedy. A real shame as so much work had gone into the routine; choreography, make-up, set, costumes, are all excellent. Unfortunately, it just didn't work for some members and a 3.5  a 4.5, as well as a couple of sixes, has rather hamstrung its performance on the overall chart. For me it's Numero Uno, but maybe the white face anonymity goes against the grain of others.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Suefan
Everything'sRosie wrote
54th place is way too low for the magnificent Tragedy. A real shame as so much work had gone into the routine; choreography, make-up, set, costumes, are all excellent. Unfortunately, it just didn't work for some members and a 3.5  a 4.5, as well as a couple of sixes, has rather hamstrung its performance on the overall chart. For me it's Numero Uno, but maybe the white face anonymity goes against the grain of others.
+1 = Wavelength convergence.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

G-RUTH
If Carlsberg did dance routines...... (we don’t need Carlsberg though as we have Flick)

I will be honest, the first few times I watched this I wasn’t really sure what to make of it all, and actually I think my attention was far too focussed on trying to establish which dancer was which. I had a quick look through others comments on the routine just now and it’s amazing how far across the scale the ratings are. I do understand why this might not be everyone’s cuppa though, as it’s certainly very unique and not your typical Legs routine.

Sitting here with my tent pegged in Pans camp, I am really getting into watching the other troupes work now thanks to OFTD, and I am enjoying discovering and rediscovering these routines. However, I really need to watch each routine numerous times first before commenting as some get whole lot better after 20 views! (I am sure people must look back and wonder why they scored routines so low or so high at the time) I have watched Tragedy many times over the last few months, and the fact I have been drawn back to it so many times tells a story.

I don’t think I can choose a dotd as this is really a complete routine made perfect by everyone involved.

The best routine and performance Legs have ever done? Yes I think so, and not only that, but definitely one of the best TOTP routines of all time 10/10....(as we are not dishing out 15/10)
J&A

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

J&A

8.5/10 - DOTD: Patti
Oxygène

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Dolly
This is what you call a Masterpiece.

I feel like I've been to the theatre for 3 minutes. Flick completely outdid herself this time. The Woman was a sheer genius. I loved everything about this performance. Starting with the song. It totally set the mood for this dramatic silent tale.
I loved the Pierrot Clowns as the theme

I think having the clowns painted in monochromatic tones gave this dance a haunting and somewhat dangerous atmosphere. It's like you knew there was going to be a "Tragedy". I liked the simple stage and the fact that only two props were needed a chair and a single red rose.

For some reason I had no trouble identifying the dancers who each played their roles splendidly.

The three dancers who stood out to me were
Sue and her fantastic scissor kicks

Patti and her melancholy face

And Rosie the tragic victim of this story.

My choice for DOTD is:

Rosie played the main character in this tragic tale that thankfully has a happy ending with Rosie wanfully waving goodbye as the curtains close.
I'm giving this performance a Perfect Score
10
This performance was fantastically creative. I loved the intrinsic choreography. Every movement was very detailed, sharp and precise. Every pose was perfectly timed. I loved the melancholy vibe. I think so far this is the BEST performance I've seen.
I think it showcased the dancers as more than just pretty faces but as professionals in their crafts. They each did an excellent job and should be proud of themselves.
Dolly

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Dolly wrote
This is what you call a Masterpiece.
Absolutely spot-on Dolly, a masterpiece on choreography. My only small gripe is i wish they would have left the tragic Rosie lifeless at the end, the silly wave just ruins it a bit more me. The camera slowly pulling back and curtains closing would have been my ending.

Anyway, your maximum 10 score makes this the 18th max this routine has been awarded. In normal circumstances one would expect to see this wonderful routine towards the top of the Legs & Co top 100 list. But no, its not even in the top 50, finding itself in 51st place. A handful of ludicrous score ratings by members here hasn't helped it one bit. However it does have a healthy average of 8.94, though it really should be in the middle 9's.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Dolly
Hey Ryan!!!
You're kidding? I would think this performance would be in the top 5! It's an incredible performance. But I guess it's not everyone's cup of ☕.
Dolly💋

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Floid Fan
Only 51st place? That is quite disgraceful. Even Floid Fan is outraged. And feels obliged to intervene.
I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply I gave earlier in the Desert Island Disc reprise thread about this routine and I quote:

Legs and Co - Tragedy As close to their great Masterpiece as they can get. One of Flick Colby's highest of high water marks. Everything works so well together and there is just so much constantly going on to enrapture and enthrall the audience. An awesome and out of the box concept with brilliant costumes and really excellent use is made of the stage. The dancing and movement is very fluid and I love all the different variety of hand gesturing by the girls when they reach the chorus. There is also some brilliant chair-ography here with subtly different uses by the different dancers, an incredible 'toilet chain pulling' gesture that must be a first,  and to top it all we get the unexpected high drama of a murder victim at the climax to the song. Just perfection.

So it must get a 10 out of 10.

That painting that ER posted upthread is amazing.
Floid Fan

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Eric M
This is an outright masterpiece.

It doesn't feel like there's a single movement within this performance that's out of place.   Getting to watch this over and over again, and seeing something different every single time, is beyond appreciated.

This one goes on the very short list of best ever.   Everyone associated with this performance outdid themselves, Flick Colby included.

This is also an impossible DOTD, but for the way she helps conclude this time capsule performance, will go with Rosie & her red rose.

Grade:  10

DOTD:  Rosie

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Eric M
My rating process is always to provide a review first, and read what others have written second.  I'm thoroughly delighted to see such positive, well-written reviews of this performance.   One comment does jump out at me, though, written by Ryan:

<<< But no, its not even in the top 50, finding itself in 51st place. A handful of ludicrous score ratings by members here hasn't helped it one bit. However it does have a healthy average of 8.94, though it really should be in the middle 9's.  >>>

Ryan (or anyone), would you think the lower score than expected might indicate a general resentment against the Bee Gees?

I can say that in the U.S., the Bee Gees were absolutely not for everyone, and were disliked by many.   Even the song 'Tragedy' was regarded very harshly, as if it were a cheap imitation of what the Bee Gees had accomplished within 'Saturday Night Fever,' or just junk on its own merits.

Also, there was a revolt against disco coming in the U.S., mid-1979, that literally seemed to put the Bee Gees out of business.  The backlash against disco seemed to be formed along racial lines as well.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Doc
In the Uk they went very quiet after 1979, but came back with a big No. 1 in 1987 and then charted occasionally right up to 2001. Our music revolution was in 1976 when the Punk era stirred up the system.
Trying to avoid people.
1234