TRAGEDY [February]

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

GiLuRo
Although I find it quite difficult identifying which girls are which in this routine, this is still a performance I absolutely love. I think this is all rather sad, and the idea of having the girls as clowns and doing a short play rather than the usual  dance routine once again shows Flick's imagination and creativity, and also our lovely ladies skills as dancers to be able to carry it off. There's not much more I can say that hasn't already been said, just to agree that the timing of the girls is outstanding, and with so much going on one mistake could easily have spoiled things. Fantastic use of the chair too, which finishes with poor Rosie getting shot (although she does thankfully come back to life at the end), and I love the rose being passed along the line.

Rating 10/10

DOTD Very nearly Rosie or Sue, but in the end I decided on Patti

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Nice to see another member here appreciating this very creative routine, skillfully executed by the six performers.

With GiLuRo awarding it its 14th maximum ten, it rises to the lofty heights of number 48 in the Top 75 Legs & Co chart. Even more bizarrely, and this shows how strong a year 1979 was, it only sits at 16th in this years table. It remains the most divisive of routines amoungst us that Legs have performed to.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Everything'sRosie
This is a masterpiece. My favourite L&C routine, and I'm in awe of Flick's brilliant choreography and the sublime execution of the moves by the girls. To think they only had a few days to put this together too.

I've taken my time reviewing Tragedy, patiently waiting for this fortieth anniversary to come around, and also because I wanted to do a review that did it justice. Pierrot was, of course, a male character who was forever pining for the love of his "little dove" Columbina. Although Pierrot ladies did later appear, famously in the picture below: The Lantern Bearers by the American artist Maxfield Parrish. Maybe Flick saw this painting once upon a time and it stayed in her head.

But why is this routine so great? I'm loathe to break it down as it should be seen as one continuous performance, but to me the magic lies in the various poses held for those fleeting moments, like instant paintings, and the silky smooth transitions in between. So inventive, and so much to see and entice. Such is my obsession, I've even watched it with the sound turned down so as to enjoy it in the great mime tradition. I also find that it helps me to identify the girls, but here lies the incongruous crux of the matter, the white face is supposed to impose an anonymity on the performer, to see behind the mask is to defeat the object. Therefore, I prefer to think of the girls solely as the collective characters they play, not the dancers we know and love. It seems to add an extra power to the performance.

The red rose at the end is an enigmatic touch, symbolically passed from girl to girl, and then placed on the breast of the stricken Rosie. In Christianity, the red rose represents the blood of the crucified Christ, and here it is also used as an object of resurrection. Life is restored as the disciples leave the tomb...or stage.

If I had just three minutes to live I would spend it watching this routine. How apt it would be to have a melancholy Rosie waving goodbye as the curtains close. Oh, and the records not bad either!

Rating: An enormous TEN of course.
DotD: All the girls play their parts brilliantly, so they all qualify. I'd pick Rosie but she spends the last 30 seconds sat on a chair, and so I'll choose Lulu because I find her looks to camera particularly haunting.

Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. A big thank you to all involved.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

What a brilliant review ER, i love your enthusiasm for this routine. Its a routine i also labelled as `a masterpiece` and that term suits it well.

If i was to have one very minor gripe about the routine, i think id have preferred Rosie to have stayed in the tragic dead position at the end and for the camera to pan away from her keeping that pose. Im not sure why she had to come back to life and give the wave. Maybe it was something to do with the `life restoring` theme that you refereed to. Anyhow the Rosie dead image remains an iconic shot.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Everything'sRosie
Thanks Ryan. I would have loved to have sat down with Flick to talk about this brilliant routine over a drink. I hope she realised how appreciated her work was.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

This is quite literally a brilliant dance sequence. I can't add much more than what ER has said, as he's hit the nail on the head with his review and I'd only be repeating what others have said.

It's officially awesome 10/10

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

The Rubberband Man wrote
It's officially awesome 10/10
Indeed awesome, yet the latest 2 maximums, bringing the total to 16 for Tragedy, simply reinforce the fact that this is the ultimate `Marmite` routine as it wallows in only 54th place in the Legs & Co top 100 (it was 67th before these last two ratings). Quite remarkable.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

it wallows in only 54th place in the Legs & Co top 100
...and that's the real "tragedy"

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

PattiforPM
I agree and great review of a great dance ER.  Definitely on my Flick's Greatest Hits DVD

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Everything'sRosie
54th place is way too low for the magnificent Tragedy. A real shame as so much work had gone into the routine; choreography, make-up, set, costumes, are all excellent. Unfortunately, it just didn't work for some members and a 3.5  a 4.5, as well as a couple of sixes, has rather hamstrung its performance on the overall chart. For me it's Numero Uno, but maybe the white face anonymity goes against the grain of others.

Re: TRAGEDY [February]

Suefan
Everything'sRosie wrote
54th place is way too low for the magnificent Tragedy. A real shame as so much work had gone into the routine; choreography, make-up, set, costumes, are all excellent. Unfortunately, it just didn't work for some members and a 3.5  a 4.5, as well as a couple of sixes, has rather hamstrung its performance on the overall chart. For me it's Numero Uno, but maybe the white face anonymity goes against the grain of others.
+1 = Wavelength convergence.