TUBULAR BELLS

Tubular Bells is an undeniably iconic piece of music composed and recorded by Mike Oldfield when he was but a boy of 19 Summers.  This single is a disco/funk revamp of said classic by the Champs Boys Orchestra.  Despite my best efforts I could find out nothing about these lads or lasses except that they were French.  Apparently this version of the tune also became the Theme tune of “Los Garcia” which was, as most of you will know, one of the popular Puerto Rican comedy shows of the 1970s. If anyone dares to know anything more about the Champs Boys I’ll be devastated

                    TUBULAR BELLS   -  Champs Boys                                July 8th 1976

                                  DANCERS:      Cherry, Floid, Gavin, Lulu, Patti, Phil, Sue

      LINK:  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26agfk_ruby-flipper-tubular-bells-totp-tx-08-07-1976_creation

  This one is interesting.  I can’t let the Intro pass without comment and Tony makes an utter hash of it perhaps even misspelling “Dance” in his inimitable way.  Once this is over we launch into the hot and arid Blue Peter Garden and witness the ladies scantily clad and picturesque and the lads mercifully better covered.  Patti is the centre of attention, distributing large confetti (or possibly very low calorie rice crackers) from a massive homemade basket to her friends who have gathered in a circle for this ritual.  I must say the Dance keeps in step with the tune very well and I particularly like the “swing the girls” portion which mimics the swirling music at that point.  Patti’s solo near the end is very good indeed and for me she is a shoo-in for DotD in this one although no-one puts a foot wrong as far as I can see.  I’m giving this one only 7.5/10 because I don’t think we see enough of the non-Hammond Dancers here for once and that’s a bit of a waste IMHO even though Patti plays a blinder.  I'm afraid I also think Sue might have been last girl to the dressing room judging by her costume and finally I really don’t like this reworking of the Classic tune, sorry.  I think this could divide us a little but let’s hear it folks…

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

Suefan
Week ten for the Flippers and a good one it was.  The dance fits the setting and the music to a tee and for the first time I'm giving Patti my DotD nomination.  Ok, she has been cast in the role of bringer of bounty and is therefore rightly the centre of the cameras attention but she totally monsters the performance, especially from around the 2.30 mark.  The costumes are a bit hit and miss I grant you, but then we all dressed like that that summer, and as they're a boy short I'm calling dibs on that role!
Another 7.5 from me.

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

Old Bill
This post was updated on .
I think we're all doing well if we get past Blackers as P4PM rightly points out. "We going to gance down to this one from Tubular Bells..." don't they have script or rehearsals?!

Anyways. Poor old BP garden - it looks parched. Percy must have been doing his nut, especially when these young upstarts (BP is 6 years older than the Pops...) brought a load of dusty old carpets out to put down on his much loved lawn. But then it is nice to see it in its plainer pre-Italian Sunken Garden days.

But on to the dance, I think Flick has done really well here seemingly taken influence from the Wicker Man and Age of Aquarius styles. I like the girls' outfits, even Sue's tassles. Lulu looks ever the young goddess. And it's not often you can say this, but it's almost quite easy to miss Cherry who's rather low key here. Although they're all pretty much 'extras' dancing round the grand-bringer-of-the-petals. Patti is her ladyship of the dance and the others must dance, dance where-ever they be. And it's the luck of the camera who we see the most of.
The boys though, hmmm. Are they going for a middle eastern look? And I think Phil got the short straw - "Here Phil, all we've got left in your size in this shepherds outfit from the BBC staff nativity, that'll have to do!". SF - how do you mean they're a boy short, all three are there. I don't they're gonna let you in on this one! hehe

It's a nice dance all in all, and the outfits and setting, props and indeed the weather all suit each other really well. Gavin seems to lie down a bit close to Sue at 1'44", but that's only slight slip up to my untutored eye. But shortly after when they raise their arms in sequence its a shame we don't get a wider shot, as it looks like for a few seconds nothing is happening, and the effect is lost a bit.

Anyways, all very lovely and quite in spirit with today's sunshine here in London Town. 8/10
And the DotD has to be the high priestess of the basket, Patti.

Jeremiah 31:13

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

This routine marked the start of a latter-day love affair with the TOTPs dancers, & I think that I joined in at the right moment, this has to be right up there with the best routines.
It typifies, a nice quaint little English country garden party, with everybody, sitting down with a picnic, & putting on a dance routine for entertainment, I think that everybody'll agree that here we have symbolism of everything that's good about being quintissentually English.
I was immediately drawn to Lulu, the first time I watched this routine, & that cemented her as my favourite TOTPs dancer, because she does look rather cutesy here, so she takes the special honours for this routine.

9/10

DotD:

Lulu

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

Andeebee
The hot summer of 76 remember it so well (stand pipes, melted tarmac, white dog whoopsies), but alas it's not because of this.

The ladies look fabulous as always, summery, hot and bothered in the hot sun, they look like they need hosing down (such as I do right now) not enough Sue thou, an ok routine to a dire song.......6/10

And my DOTD rating goes to Patti (again)

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

   Aah aah, Ruby Flipper, good safe territory for Ryan, no need to concern myself about upsetting the `Double P Old Guard` who seem to get very protective over their dancers.
   I really like most routines from our mixed gender troupe and this is no exception. I do sometimes think Legs & Co missed a trick by not venturing outside the walls of TV Centre, would have been great seeing the sun shine on them.
   The song itself is a bit of a nonentity, but like so many `nothing`songs will always be stored in my memory because our dancers danced to it.

    Favourite bit of the routine, well it has to be at the minute mark when Lulu leans back and does a sit up with ease. For that `Lulu` is my Nymph Of The Day.

Rating, beautiful Summers day with young nubile maidens dancing about, it has to be `9 out of 10`

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

DotD: The serene Patti - the natural choice to lead this routine.

I'm sure Phil was sweltering in his Arab-style robes.

My score: 7

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

bucksby
yes it is great to see the girls & boys get out of the television centre. Patti looks fab and it is no surprise to say she is DOTD. I had a look on discogs and there isn't a great deal of info. The record was either a total flop or was never distributed properly. I do like the routine though and I would rate it an 8.

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

Thanks for the votes lads.  Some differing opinions but general agreement that the ladies look great and appreciation of the field trip and I did forget to mention how lovely Lulu looks in this one I admit.  Cherry looks lovely too but surely is seen less here than any other RF Dance she appears in, as OB suggests.  Glad so far no-one has proven me inept for failing to find more info on the Champs Boys but until the rest of the pop cogniscenti have commented I won't be able to rest easy.

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

PattiForPM
Oh BTW does anybody else think the Patio Umbrella is a bit incongruous with this pagan ritual?

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

Old Bill
I read that at first as "the Patti umbrella..." and couldn't quite work out what you meant!

But in a word PP4M - YES!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

PattiForPM
I know the hot Summer of 1976 made us all feel a little sluggish but the hard-working scantily clad (and in some cases over-dressed) members of Ruby Flipper deserve our attention and the humble little RF Thread is requesting more voter turnout.  RSVP

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

VintageVideos
The good things about this performance:
- the whole troupe is involved
- it's an outside performance, which is a welcome change
- the dance itself seems well executed
- Patti looks great

The bad things:
- horrible disco treatment of a classic rock track by an unknown French band (?), possibly just one person disguised as a band; fortunately this didn't get into the Top 40 (hovering six weeks between 40 and 50, peaking at 41).
- Cherry is nowhere to be seen for the most part of this dance
- why is Phil dressed as an Arab, this seems terribly out of place here
- the theme of Ruby Flipper doing some kind of pagan ritual doesn't appeal to me at all

Sorry, gonna be the meanie this time.
4 / 10
Dotd: Patti

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

PattiForPM
There are no meanies here Vin;  all honest opinions are welcome.  Maybe this was an ancient rain dance of some sort, given the climate in 1976.  I actually quite like the interpretation of the music Flick came up with but I agree Phil's Arabic garb is a little odd and not seeing Cherry is unforgiveable as far as I'm concerned too.

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

VintageVideos
It was a very hot summer indeed, and somehow I have quite fond memories of it. A lot of good records in the charts as far as I'm concerned, and there will be at least two RF routines from this hot summer (apart from Back in the USSR) which I will rate highly, I suppose one of them will be a contender for the most popular RF routine ever. My attempts to find this song on a CD have strangely failed so far but I'm working on it.

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

Paperboyplod
It looks like you needed to look beyond Germany, there seems to be a 2009 re-mastered version doing the rounds on-line. Here's just one offer:-

http://www.grooves-inc.co.uk/oldfield-mike-tubular-bells-mercury-cd-album-pZZa1-1862550712.html?language=en&utm_source=froogle_uk&utm_campaign=froogle_uk&gclid=CILFvuyh1bcCFc3HtAodS0oAMA

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

VintageVideos
Sorry Justin, I wasn't looking for the Mike Oldfield version which is fairly easy to get.

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

PattiForPM
Vin I wasn't quite sure whether you meant  it was the other Summer favorite you're searching for on CD or whether it was Tubular Bells by the unfamous Champs Boys

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

VintageVideos
LOL you were on the right track.... both are almost impossible to find on CD actually, but the summer favourite is a bit higher on my list.

Re: TUBULAR BELLS

Andeebee
I have a remaster of this track....