TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

TURN THE MUSIC UP Dance/performance number 156 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Players Association   reaching number 8 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  22/03/79  Duration of dance 2.38 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      140
Pauline 139
Patti     136
Rosie    136
Gill       132
Lulu      131
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24mnoa_legs-co-turn-the-music-up-totp-tx-22-03-1979_creation

**********THIS WILL NOT BE SHOWN ON BBC4***********
Due to the fact the host of the show is still fighting to clear his name, the BBC4 audience will be deprived of viewing this fine routine. The record is by Players Association, who i must admit mean nothing to me other than the fact Legs danced to one of their records. Got to admit, i find the song very likable.

Flick heads straight down the literal route and places the dancers infront of a giant transistor radio complete with huge dial. We then see the dancers working in groups of 3s and 4s. Only Gill and Patti do not get to turn the dial by the way. My favourite part in this is the little wave Lulu and Rosie give each other half way through the routine as they go there separate ways. Theres lots of dance moves in this i like, but im well impressed by those hip trusts of Patti. But the girl who i find most noticeable is `Rosie` and she is my DOTD.

Andee, you done a pretty decent job on the visual quality on this, id love to see it on my TV screen, but this is the best copy ive seen of it to date.

For my watchable rating, not quite a max, so i give it 9.5 out of 10

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

PattiforPM
Boy oh boy do the Troupe look gorgeous in these silky gowns and I just love the groupings and hairstyles and oh just about everything here.  The music really got Flick's creative side revving here and I like the giant dial which of course would be a boring little digital remote control nowadays I suppose.  Pauline particularly looks a million bucks in this one and Rosie does indeed command our attention but I simply can not resist the lovely smiles and smooth moves of a certain Patti Hammond and she is on top form here getting my DotD yet again and whenever she is paired with Sue or in close proximity I know a 10/10  is not far away as is the case here too.  Yup I like this one a lot and just for fun I think I'll watch that DailyMotion channel version again right away...

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

Lookmacinanger
Classic tracks deserve classic routines and these six ladies keep on producing the goods. I can feel my knees creaking after watching Legs and Co energetic interpretation of Turn the Music Up but it will take its rightful place in 1979 ‘Hall of Fame’ 10/10. Dotd, Lulu

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

A fine song for dancing and Flick and the girls don't disappoint with another fabulous routine.  Like a previous correspondent I like everything, from the stylish costumes and novel set, to the dance itself with one well conceived and excellently performed sequence flowing smoothly into the next so this scores a 10 from me.
Choosing a Dotd is a near impossibility but with Sue at the controls this is pitched just right !

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

PaulF
This one is full of niceness. A nice song, nice routine, nice costumes, nice set and worth a nice 9.

DOTD The very nice Sue.
Paul

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

I've heard of television screens occupying a whole wall, but not a radio set, & the speaker(s) are behind the camera?, I take it.
Moving swiftly on to the dancers, they're looking really smart in their metallic style dresses, each one a different colour, & there's heaps of high kicking, that I'm particularly in awe of, the accompanying track has a great baseline, & the ladies look as if their enjoying the music, so much that they're turning it up every so often, & their enthusiasm really shows, as they sachay about that dance floor.

8/10

DotD:-

Rosie

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

We have a nice set to start with, the ladies are in front of a large radio. And the first shot is of Lulu and Rosie. Turning a large knob on the radio, ( sound rude sorry about this ). In front of them are the other four ladies dancing to the beat. The ladies are wearing nice party dresses. Rosie and Lulu come forwards, while Sue, Patti, Gill and Pauline go back to radio. Rosie and Lulu do a nice duet they then part ways to become three. Lulu joins Sue and Patti who dance together and Rosie joined Gill and Pauline and does the same. With this routine we have a literal dance to the song.

The Dotd is difficult one because all the ladies are so good, so I will go for my usual lady. The Goddess Sue.

The score will have to be 9 out of 10.

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

Lovely costumes, good dancing, and I like all the pairings. Can't say much more than that.

Also, the Gill/Rosie sequence at the end, with those stunningly synced twirls and kicks, is their best moment together. So far removed from their back-row-giggling in "The Shuffle"...

Score: 9

DotD: Pauline - she looks stunning in this routine, especially her hair. While I also love her classic cut, which makes a comeback soon, I'll miss her longer look for a year...

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

VintageVideos
The song's a bit repetitive and tedious but it gets spiced up considerably by the Legs treatment. Good setting and lots of fun, which deserves an 8.5 from me, with DotD Rosie.
And when the stewardess is near do not show any fear

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

Gorgeous Daze
This is a very likeable routine from the girls in their party dresses. It grabs you straight from the off with Lulu and Rosie smiling at us like guest Wheel Of Fortune dollies. But isn't that the tuning dial they're turning, with the volume control one of the knobs below? It's difficult to tell with that curiously antique set.

There are a lot of ups and downs to go with the few lyrics. The squatting movements look taxing, but no doubt were a doddle for young ankles. Lulu and Rosie revisit the floor-cleaning shuffle, last seen in January in September. And equally the other way round. But it's Gill and Rosie finally who are allocated a generous portion of the routine to duet, and this includes a superb response to the sax solo complete with flamboyant arched backs and high kicks.

Smiler of the day (and the wearer of my favourite of the dresses) is Patti. DOTD is Rosie  8.75/10

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

A good and imaginative set;good song,and beautiful dressesThere is a lot of very good dancing from everyone.I like how they do different dances in pairs and threes.My favourite bit of all is towards the end when Gill and Rosie dance together.10/10
DotD:Rosie

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

Andeebee
This particular clip went through 11 changes before i was happy with it, DM brings it out better than crappy old compressed YT, Tragedy would of looked so much better on DM. I just find DLT clips a nightmare to mess with......

The routine, ha after this week I have played this to death, I do like the song (had it on 12", still have it on 7"), those girls can certainly push ADB's buttons and twist my knob and dial (LOL )

The excitement on DLT's voice says it all, lovely silk slashed dresses, a big radio, a decent song, alot of knob turning and six of the loveliest girls on the planet. A nice mixture for a good score.

Scores on ADB's radio: 10/10

Knob turner/spinner of the day: Sue

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

Old Grey Whistler
I don't know the song at all and when I think of Players Association, Gordon Taylor comes to mind!
I find the song only average, but everything else about this routine is superb.  There is some great movements and choreography. Those squat movements look really painful but I'm sure were a doddle for our girls. The large radio enhances the set and the camera work and lighting are fine. I also like the girls dresses. I can't think of any reason to deduct points so it gets a perfect 10 out of 10.
All the dancers perform well but Rosie seems to be the most prominent and so gets DOTD.

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

AC/PD
Satin galore in this routine, even sported by DLT who does his very best Kenny Everett imitation either side of the dance.
Great to dance to but the song doesn't really go too far. Before we know it, the song's finished, so the visuals create the main enjoyment overall. Nice dial turning, although one could be forgiven for thinking the song's about Moving The Frequency Along.
All six ladies look lovely in their slight dress variants and this is one which would have been nice to have watched on BBC4 in better quality but alas that and future prospects have been dealt a severe blow, sadly.
Very tough one to call as far as a DOTD is concerned, but Patti's joy nicks it.
Very pleased to see that Col's hot on the Pauline hair trail and also that Jenny Powell wouldn't have looked out of place on this one - the foxy so-and-so.
7/10
DOTD: Patti

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

Mikey
Kudos to the props department for that giant wireless set, very inventive and nice to see a bit of interactivity with the dial turning. This is one i enjoyed more after a few views as you start noticing more and more little touches, as generally when they break off into smaller groups each doing their own dance its hard to watch them all and i couldn't see one part where they were all doing the same thing. The best part for me is toward the end the Gill/Rosie combination with their hands on hips sideways movements and then more energetic movements just as the track gets wilder with that crazy saxophone part, but the dancing is fun throughout. A decent track overall, but not one that seems to get replayed these days.

8/10 DOTD Rosie

Stu

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

Stu
I wasn't sure what that cog thing was all about at the start, but then on the second viewing I realised it was a volume dial (I'm a bit slow with these things). This is another really good one for me, Flick's definitely on a roll at the moment. DOTD was a close call, Pauline looks amazing, and Patti and Lulu caught my eye a lot also, but I've got to give it to the lovely high kicking legs of Rosie.

8/10

DOTD - Rosie

Stuey

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

Old Bill
Such a *********** shame that this wasn't on the telly. Firstly it just goes to show what a pro DLT was and a what a cracking presenter he was too. Oof it makes me cross!

And secondly that such a find dance was missed by many, and in glorious BBC Four quality.

Is the turning up of the volume knob on the giant wireless, amongst the most literal moves in Flick's catalogue? But nothing wrong with that. A touch a fun is what every good dance needs. And colourful outfits, and nice moves and lots of smiles. This has the lot.

The dance-off between Gill and Rosie at the end is a corker.

8.5/10 and Rosie the DotD.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

Adorable Gillusion
7.5/10  DOTD...Gill

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

Doc
This reminds me of a spin the wheel game show and it is a fairly middle of the road dance 8/10.
Dotd: Rosie.
Still living in 1979

Re: TURN THE MUSIC UP [March}

bucksby
big improvement on the 2 previous March 79 routines I have viewed. Good chance to see the girls shine individually in this one.  Lovely duet at the end by Rosie & Gill and Pauline's hair is great too (again!) but it is Sue who is DOTD. all the way through the routine she seems to have a bit more energy. routine an 8.
12