TVC15

OK Vin, take this!  Legend tells us that TVC15 was  a David Robert Jones song inspired by one of Iggy Pop’s episodes of substance abuse, during which he imagined his girlfriend being swallowed by the TV set.  This song came from Bowie’s Thin White Duke album “Station to Station” which was itself probably cocaine-inspired, so perhaps we could have expected a rather different Dance Troupe performance to this and interestingly the Wikipedia article on TVC15 even describes Ruby Flipper’s “Bizarre interpretation.”  I would imagine not many other song entries mention the nature of Pans, Legs or Ruby’s Dances to them but I await erudite comments confirming or refuting this.

             TVC15   -   David Bowie                                May 27th   1976

             DANCERS:   Floid, Gavin, Phil, Sue

             LINK:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKB1GMawleA

   Flick seems to have followed the Iggy Pop hallucination theme quite closely here.  We see Phil’s cartwheels, Gavin’s handstands and Floid’s splits often from behind the dancers and we see Sue acting as Iggy’s girlfriend and looking very scrummy on a bank of 1970s TV sets at the far end of the living room.  It does have a kind of grotesqueness consistent with a drug-induced state and I actually think this is quite a courageous piece of work by Flick and the Troupe.  Nevertheless, as is often the case with the avant garde, it does not have wide appeal and I find both the music and the “Dance” quite tedious, except for Sue’s delightful role, which one could almost call a cameo.  I am myself awarding this 2/10 and admit it is my least favorite Ruby Flipper outing and I give Sue the DotD without a moment’s hesitation as I could happily do without the Jockey and his pals.  I await your comments with interest and some trepidation friends….

Re: TVC15

Andeebee
Oh boy where to begin, mmmm I don't.

Shockingly awful routine, I would rate this 0/10 but will give it 1/10 just for the wonderful image of that vision of that wonderful demigoddess Sue.....

DOTD: easy that:- Sue on the TV, yes the TV image rates higher than this awful awful routine.

Re: TVC15

For me, this routine's the weakest of all from Ruby Flipper, not because it's more about the male dancer per se, but more about just them doing a few hand stands & the like on a small stage, with a token female dancer, Sue in this case confined to a bank of television monitors.
Flick had obviously wanted to something radically different, & she made a meal of it, one of her rare mistakes.
There's not much else for me to add tbh, but at least it provides something for the ladies to drool over.

2/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: TVC15

Sue's cavorting inside the TV is a plus and worth an 8 but as for the rest......  From the dreadful song to the antics of the lads, well that deserves a big fat minus 5 in my book and so overall I'll give this a 3.

Re: TVC15

PattiforPM wrote
OK Vin, take this!
So you're trying to top my choice this week, all I can say is well done, you've really hauled out the big guns! This must be the most hated RF routine.
I think this routine is a rather bold attempt by Flick at a literal interpretation of the lyrics. Three chaps almost going crazy while they're watching their girl appearing on TV, knowing they can't reach her. It's definitely very unusual.
That said, there is certainly much to dislike about this one, and it's a weak Bowie tune to begin with. On the other hand, we are graced with a bracing solo dance by Sue and some nice close-ups as well.

I decided to give this a balanced rating of 4.5/10. Most of it is for Sue's solo dancing on different monitors but I have also acknowledged Flick's pioneering work, daring to do something totally new, even though this attempt has failed for the most part.

DotD Sue
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: TVC15

Wow SF that is high marks

Re: TVC15

You are generous in the marks Vin

Re: TVC15

VintageVideos
Anything below 5 is a dud for me, but there are worse routines than this one. Guess my rating would not be considered 'generous' if Floidfan was still here
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: TVC15

   Right okay. Lets face it, the main reason this routine is receiving low/lowish marks, is nothing to do with the wacky routine, or the song, the reason is that its predominantly the three boys who feature in it. Put it this way, if this song was offered to Flick six months later, and we replaced the three boys with three girls, the 1s,2s & 3s you guys are giving it would probably be 5s,6s & 7s.

   Hey don't get me wrong, id much prefer to see gals than guys dancing, but Flick had these three at her disposal and i thought she made a brave move here. Okay the routine is goofy beyond all reasoning and the three boys do not really do their street cred much good in this.

  Dosent seem Flick`s bravery stretched as far as just unleashing the boys and nothing else, she had the good sense to tease us with shots of The Goddess. Ive said this countless times on the forum here, i believe the dance Sue did in this, in her sexy white outfit ranks amongst the sexiest of all dances on the show. To think she danced for 2 minutes or so and had a camera trained on her, and all we get are those few shots, tragic.

 Its by no means classic Bowie, but i don't have a downer on the song, its listenable. The routine i find bitter sweet. I watch it often just to get glimpses of Sexy Sue, but the boys just get in the way. If it was just the three lads, yes i would be in the lower end of the marks, but because Sue is simply exquisite in this i will go higher.

  7.5 out of 10,   DOTD, The Goddess

Re: TVC15

Floid Fan
Who is this Vintage Videos anyway?
4.5 out of 10, what a mean score for what is truly Flick Colby's Magnum Opus- an esquisite and inspired masterpiece of postmodern surrealist choreography and dancing which surely has the honour of being the most unusual dance routine ever seen over the decades on TOTP.People stared open mouthed and faces agog in awe and amazement when they were confronted with this on their Tv screens in May 1976. Nothing like this had ever been witnessed before or since in the entire history of world choreography.  Brian Rodgers and Dougie Squires bow down and crawl.
The amazing variety and versatility of the gymnastic moves executed with precision and not knocking anything over in that tiny living room set- wow, what can one say. These gymastic moves must also be the inspiration for the later athlectic lifts, jumps and twirls of Ms Philips in her Hot Gossip routines. The routine is mesmerising and attention holding as the viewer cannot take their eyes off what they are watching. It is almost beyond belief.
Sue takes a very good part in this and I do agree it is a pity we didn't see more of her very seductive dance that was mostly limited to upper body shots on the screens.
What can I say about this extraordinary spectacle?
9 out of 10
Dotd = Floid.
Carl

Re: TVC15

VintageVideos
Am I dreaming or what?
This is just the comment I had in mind when I mentioned you, Floidfan. Except that I expected a 10 and not a meagre 9... oh well can we say welcome back to the forum to you?
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: TVC15

Hey Carl, great to see you on OFTDs again. Please make some more comments and ratings on older RF routines.

Re: TVC15

Thanks very much for your comments friends and your scores, most of which are lowish to say the least.  May I also say that it is good to see the name FloidFan gracing this site again after some time absent and admit that he is the #1 Ruby Flipper authority on here so it's doubly good to read his comments and perspective on these Dances.  I can't pretend to completely agree with everything said but it is a valued assessment nevertheless.  I do take some issue with the previous comments about my/our marks being low simply because it is the male Dancers taking the lead here as it is not primarily this but the dull music and strange asynchronous choreography I object to the most and with the exception of Sue I actually find this a total rarity among Dance performances : a rather ugly spectacle.  As Ryan implies the lads have done much better in other performances, often greatly enhancing the visual impact of this Troupe but this is just not the case for me here.  Would I have preferred ladies in the living room?  Yes.  Would it have greatly increased my score?  No, not likely, unless the whole flavour of this Dance changed dramatically.  Having said all this I reiterate my impression of a rather courageous attempt at an edgy Dance and one which is quite consistent with the tone and meaning of a piece of music which I dislike heartily.  After all, let's face it, Bowie himself loved to be edgy and progressive and hated to be static and predictable.

Re: TVC15

PattiForPM
Please add other opinions to this debate pop pickers.  You surely can't be indifferent to this one!

Re: TVC15

Andeebee
Welcome back FF

Even though our paths never crossed, nice to see a familiar name back on the board, along with benja..

Re: TVC15

I'll admit reading the reviews has made me reappraise "TVC 15".

Flick deserves kudos for taking a risk on what she's done (and bonus points for marrying it up with the song's lyrical theme) and how she's used the RF guys, who were most likely public enemies among the BBC elite and many viewers by this time, as the primary movers.

Floid, Gavin and Phil's gymnastic displays, taken in isolation, are finely executed and don't jar in their sequencing.

I will agree with you all, though, that Sue is a stunning temptress on the screen and does deserve more screen time. btw, for clarification, JS doesn't appear to have physical contact with Sue when he gets up on stage.

I'm going to be controversial and give my DotD to Gavin, as he's flexible and fluid in movement and looks comfortable in what's perhaps his best routine.

That's also going to be reflected in my score: 8.5/10

Re: TVC15

It is certainly different but if I'd wanted gymnastics then I'd have tuned into the World Gymnastics Championships. And indeed, my low score is entirely down to my dislike of the song and to Flick's interpretation as performed by the three lads which I just find a mess.  That the three lads hog the lions share of the action doesn't help but there are two Flipper routine featuring a couple of them which will be getting a ten from me so I'm not entirely sexist !

I'm not sure that a fondness for FP qualifies anyone as an authority though :)

Re: TVC15

I think this is a very good song and one of Bowie's most undervalued singles, right from the honky-tonk piano opening to the excellent climax refrain, which is lamentably edited out here. And I'm a little surprised there's something that no-one seems to have picked up on. As P4PM tells us, TVC15 is taken from the Station To Station album. The cover of this is a still from the film The Man Who Fell To Earth, in which Bowie plays the alien Thomas Jerome Newton, who has come to Earth in order to get water for his dying planet. One of his abilities is he can take in multiple programmes while simultaneously watching a number of TV sets, which we see him doing in the film. So it could be this is both a brave and informed interpretation from Flick. Perhaps with a touch of her famous literal leanings - are there 15 TV sets here?? The dream-like, arthouse, feel to this routine must have been quite a puzzler for family viewers, as Floid Fan argues. But it's definitely appropriate when we remember that Bowie is above all else an Artist .The possessed, jerky gymnastics of the boys are just right for the dense, disorienting arrangement of the song. The seemingly random and clashing costumes seem to mirror the clashing instruments in the song. It's made all the more strange because in the familiarity of their domestic setting you least expect to find people freaked out. But is Sue solely responsible for their torment?;  their eyes aren't on the screens most of the time. Maybe Floid had been beaten in three photo finishes that day. Her replacement by Savile at the denouement not only leaves us eluded in our desires, it's positively chilling nowadays! Sue does look as sexy as hell, and it's hair-tearingly frustrating for us that she's twice -removed here. It might have been one of her finest moments otherwise, but I shall give DOTD to Gavin for flippin' out the best.

Re: TVC15

VintageVideos
Scores between 1 and 9... that's what I call controversial!
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: TVC15

PattiForPM
Yup good to hear some positive reviews and different perspectives on this one.  I really like GD's Man Who Fell to Earth connection.  I'm hoping there's even more comments  to come but this one is certainly polarizing the group and the Dance has overtaken Both Sides Now and left My Way and Greatest Love of All in it's dust.