Quantcast

Tales of the Unexpected dancer?

Everything'sRosie
The other day I recalled a conversation I had a few years back (in a pub) amongst people I only knew as other regulars, but the conversation swung to old TV and one of them insisted the silhouetted dancer in the opening/closing titles of TotU was one of Pans People, when I reminded him Pan's People had long finished before TotU came along he switched to, it was one of Legs & Co then, the one who was in both. I assumed it was Sue. And for a while I believed it to be true as the hairstyle was similar. Anyway I came across the whole series of Tales of the Unexpected on my Now Box by accident a couple of days ago and watched a few, and, of course, that pub conversation leapt back into my head. Anyway, with the benefit of t'internet I set out to investigate and soon discovered (to my disappointment) it was not Sue after all. It was a lady called Karen Standley. Now, there is next to nothing on line about this rather erotic lady, so I was wondering (a long shot I know) if any of you guys might know anything about her? Cheers.

Re: Tales of the Unexpected dancer?

Willoway
I remember her on a very brief sequence on Don't Forget Your Toothbrush 20 or so years ago, Chris Evans introduced her as a mystery person you would have seen on TV just before the ad break, after the break it was revealed she was in TotU.
Googling indicates she's had a non-showbiz life and career.

Just possibly your pub acquaintances may be confusing it with this other silloutte from the first colour TOTP intro:

which I've heard said is Andi.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: Tales of the Unexpected dancer?

Everything'sRosie
Thanks Willoway. Yes, I think it might have been a case of false memory syndrome with the silhouette. I wish I had seen that episode of Don't Forget Your Toothbrush, but due to the monumental prat who used to host it, it was a show I could never bring myself to watch, but I would loved to have seen Miss Standley all the same. I must admit I'm rather intrigued to see what she looked like. You're right, it seems she didn't follow the showbiz path. The slinky moves suggested a professional dancer...though, on the hand, she might just have been a girl from the cafeteria.

Re: Tales of the Unexpected dancer?

I always liked Tales Of The Unexpected, but its one of those series that my favourite episode was the first one that was ever shown. The episode were the guy was willing to bet he could light his lighter 10 times or lose his little finger. It also included a pre-not the nine o'clock news Pamela Stephenson wearing a bikini at the start which also made it memorable.

Re: Tales of the Unexpected dancer?

SuPaLu
Here's a screen-shot of the delightful Pamela Stephenson in the first episode called 'Man From The South'.One of my favourites is the one with the vampires in a restaurant.

Re: Tales of the Unexpected dancer?

Everything'sRosie
I've just watched it!

Surprisingly tense as the lighter flame count goes up. The young American actor does a great job of adding to the suspense, making you think at any second his perspiring finger is going to slip.

 Great stuff.

Re: Tales of the Unexpected dancer?

It also included a pre-not the nine o'clock news Pamela Stephenson wearing a bikini at the start which also made it memorable.
I remember seeing her in an early episode of the Professionals, she played a young nurse and there was a bomb scare or something in the hospital, anyway she ended up in the hospital car park lying on the ground (I think Lewis Collins had wrestled her there trying to save her) with her blouse open and her bra on show. They don't make them like that anymore!

Re: Tales of the Unexpected dancer?

Dancer
Gosh I remember the dancer on Tales of the Unexpected.  I never associated her with one of Legs & Co though as she looked quite big - at least a Size 14/16.  The series was fab.  I noticed the box set in Sainsbury's last week and was mulling them over.  Don't remember the one above but Poison was a good one about the lush with the krait snake on his belly, there was a good one with Elaine Strich where they were having guests for a bridge evening and decided to bug the bedroom and the one where the male guest had to guess the name of the wine he was drinking and if he did he asked that the daughter marry him.  Really good stuff.  The books were excellent.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: Tales of the Unexpected dancer?

GiLuRo wrote
RYAN wrote
Ah yes I remember that episode. A terrorist rather inconsiderately stuffed a live hand grenade down her blouse but Bodie managed to retrieve it safely!

Re: Tales of the Unexpected dancer?

Willoway
Miss Standley is in a latter day programme discussing the sequence here even doing a demo of her dance. Starts at about 7:12.

It says elsewhere the person who did the credits was her boyfriend, who also worked on TOTP.

...is she really going out with him?

Re: Tales of the Unexpected dancer?

Pamela Stephenson appeared in three separate episodes of The Professionals (yet another of my favorite shows) all from 1978 playing very different characters in each.

Re: Tales of the Unexpected dancer?

Willoway wrote
Miss Standley is in a latter day programme discussing the sequence here even doing a demo of her dance. Starts at about 7:12.

It says elsewhere the person who did the credits was her boyfriend, who also worked on TOTP.
Hey, what a result! Thank you so much, Willoway. I knew one of you guys would come up trumps.