The Beat Girls

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
Carlotta

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
Thanks to Willoway for the tip off on this, probably the earliest of the Beat Girls line ups known also as "Katy-Dids", with some familiar style outfits to those of the Beat Girls.

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
Tatler 10-09-66

These are the same outfits as some of the pictures posted by Mishmash on page 1, so this should give an indication of the date of those too.

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
It seems likely Diane was not a 'Beat Girls' regular during 1965, as I found a further 2 articles mentioning other work, a play and working with another set of dancers for a show later in the year.

Daily Mirror 17-07-65

Daily Mirror 08-12-65, hopefully the 'Diana' is a typo and not another TV dancer with a very similar name at the same time period, which would be highly coincidental

Re: The Beat Girls

Willoway
This post was updated on .
I've lost it for now, but there is an article on the British Library archive describing Diane as Gary's assistant, from '65 or thereabouts. Clearly the reason she keeps popping up outside the Beat Girls.
And we have three DC groups now, the Katy-Dids/Beat Girls, the Lucky Stars, and Desdemonas.

Diane mentions "Here come the pops" on her bio on the site now up for sale. Strangely she says she also appeared in a BBC production of "What Katy Did" (wihich was in 1962), maybe that was the genesis of the group name.

Rather more strangely, the bio says she appeared in the Jo Cook dancers, I think there's more to this attribution than a mistake in a photo archive.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
This is an article from Tatler dated 30-04-66, the article itself is really just a general critique of girls fashions, so i wont post the rest. A slightly unflattering picture perhaps, but it shows the other side to the business of dancing in clubs during the week and not all TV glamour. I think it is Flick, Lyn and Babs shown in the photo, so perhaps they did these type of gigs on a rota basis.

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
Tatler 11-08-65

Re: The Beat Girls

Willoway
I'd agree with the names. Interesting picture.

Here's a follow up from 14th May in the same publication - there appears to be no supporting article to the sketch - nice costume but I don't think it saw the light of day.

...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
I'm pretty sure this is Dee Dee and Flick with Georgie Fame, taken from an article in a dutch magazine called Teenbeat. This is just an enlarged version of the picture and the main text in unreadable (and also in dutch) so i've not reproduced that. The publication date is not stated, but it would be from mid 1966 when he released Get Away i expect. This is likely to be one of the earliest colour pics of Dee Dee and Flick, the others are from the Dickie Valentine show around the same time.

This is another from the same article, i thought it might be Dee Dee on the bike but not sure.

This one is probably from an earlier edition, again not stated. Its again not reproducible in readable quality, but the images are decent, the most interesting is probably the bottom left showing the Beat Girls in white dresses with Gary and it looks like this was the still in the Ruth, Jenny, Lyn line up.

Re: The Beat Girls

Willoway
Never realised Gary was so tall, though maybe he was on a step. While the resolution is not great, I'd be surprised it was Dee Dee.

Mikey - on the subject of Dee Dee, is that meant to be Dee Dee second left here? http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Pans-People-pre-June-1974-tp4062102p4151082.html
...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Beat Girls

VintageVideos
I'm not Mikey but yes it is Dee Dee. The routine is "I Think Of You" by the Detroit Emeralds from 31/8/73.

Re: The Beat Girls

Willoway
Thanks Vin.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
Biba 1966

Re: The Beat Girls

Willoway
Do you have a date for this in '66 Mikey? You've already shown pics with Dee Dee apparently as a Biba shop assistant in March '66
...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Beat Girls

Barbv
Yes that is Felicity Balfour.  She is a friend of mine and we looked at the other photo in the same clothes (the signing one) today and she confirmed that was her.

Re: The Beat Girls

VintageVideos
Thank you, Barbv, for confirming that the girl on the picture is Felicity Balfour. Great to know she is a friend of yours. Unfortunately we do not know much about Felicity, but maybe this will change now that you've found this place.

Re: The Beat Girls

I don't have an exact date Willoway, but since i think that is Flick on the right (she seemed to have a thing for hooped earrings at the time if you look at some other pics of her that year), it is possibly a bit later in the year. This article has another picture from the same day and interestingly also the other Dee Dee picture (running in the street with the clothes) i posted originally, but there is nothing to suggest they were taken at the same time.

Re: The Beat Girls

Malta
The girls mention The Drum Club in their book, p25:

Babs: We were doing the shows in Holland, then Gary got us a gig working in a discotheque in Bond Street, a club called the Drum.
Ruth: They had glass drums with lights underneath and we'd just have to stand there and boogie.  Sometimes only one or two people would come in.  We were paid £3 a night.  It was so demoralising, but we needed the money.  I hated it.
1 ... 15161718