The Beat Girls

Re: The Beat Girls

Malta
Based on the nose I don't think that is Flick

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
Perhaps not then. There is no date for the other Biba photos although it doesn't look like the same day. The hair style certainly seems similar to that of Flick at the time.

Re: The Beat Girls

Malta
There is a resemblance and I am by no means certain it is not her,  but I went looking for a profile view photo and in that one I used to compare the nose shape and angle seem quite different.  The ears in other photos I looked at appeared quite similar, and as you mention, the hair also.  In the other photo that showed this person's legs, they didn't really look like dancer's legs to me.

Re: The Beat Girls

Willoway
This post was updated on .
Think this is new, a late version of Tomorrow’s People (one of the two offshoots of the Beat Girls) with Lyn Wolseley, Suze Broks and Nanda Hoving. Quality not great, but any footage is welcome. No date, but guessing 1968 +/- 1

https://youtu.be/Gz-b1-Yk-Rk

Here's another one, gives Lyn a credit at the end, though she is harder to identify in the routines - off the top of my head, of dance group alumni, the only others I can recall actually seeing credited as choreographer in a subsequent show are Flick and Jo Cook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snk_-nPBQpo

Slippin' and slidin', peepin' and a-hiddin

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
Gosh wasn't Dutch TV weird in the 60s  but interesting videos nonetheless.

Is that Diane South as the lead dancer in the Helen Leclercq clip?

Re: The Beat Girls

Willoway
Not sure which one is the Helen Leclercq clip, but I assume the lead is Lyn Wolseley in both. Quality not great, even with the closeups, so not 100% sure.
Slippin' and slidin', peepin' and a-hiddin

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
It was uploaded by the same person

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=vSIuM0Q2mo0

Re: The Beat Girls

Willoway
Mikey wrote
It was uploaded by the same person
Ah - unlike the vids I posted, this is very entertaining, a rendition of I'm Not Your Stepping Stone. I guess you mean the dancer in the headband is likely to be DS? If so, could be but I'm not sure.

Slippin' and slidin', peepin' and a-hiddin

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
Yes that could be Helen though not sure.

If you go to Belgaimage and search for lyn wolseley 1968 there are lots of photos related to the first 2 clips.

Re: The Beat Girls

Willoway
This post was updated on .
Mikey wrote
Yes that could be Helen though not sure.

If you go to Belgaimage and search for lyn wolseley 1968 there are lots of photos related to the first 2 clips.
Helen presumably is the singer, unfortunately there are a few with long dark hair, but one of the two front dancers I think I recognise from the Beat Girls/Moef Ga Ga so it probably is the Beat Girls, making Diane’s appearance quite likely.

Helen's already being mentioned in this thread, she created her own Dutch group of dancers in protest against the "English" Beat Girls.
Slippin' and slidin', peepin' and a-hiddin

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
After a bit of youtubing I believe Patricia is the singer so the dancer is probably Helen. Never mind worth a try.

Re: The Beat Girls

Willoway
An interview with Felecity Balfour and a bit of roomie Lorelly Harris. Interesting as she talks about joining in Sept '66, a short stint as it turned out.

Kensington Post, 18th November 1966

Slippin' and slidin', peepin' and a-hiddin

Re: The Beat Girls

Barbv
Hi Willoway, thank you very much for sending me this article, which I'd like to forward to Felicity as she may not have it.  I'm having a bit of trouble making it appear when I hit "forward" so is there a way you can send me the article as an attachment?  Thanks so much!

Barbara

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 at 20:04, Willoway [via One for the Dads] <[hidden email]> wrote:
An interview with Felecity Balfour and a bit of roomie Lorelly Harris. Interesting as she talks about joining in Sept '66, a short stint as it turned out.

Kensington Post, 18th November 1966

You see him comin' better cut out on the double

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/The-Beat-Girls-tp3027945p4171482.html
To unsubscribe from The Beat Girls, click here.
NAML

Re: The Beat Girls

Willoway
Hi Barbara, I only posted it on the forum, I didn't send it any other way - maybe you have an alert which sent you an email, but no problem, I'll send it to you directly.

It is a nice article, pleased to find it.
Slippin' and slidin', peepin' and a-hiddin

Re: The Beat Girls

Barbv
Thank you so much!  I saw it came "to me" according to the address line, but maybe it says that for everyone!

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 10:52, Willoway [via One for the Dads] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I only posted it on the forum, I didn't send it any other way - maybe you have an alert which sent you an email, but no problem, I'll send it to you directly.

It is a nice article, pleased to find it.
You see him comin' better cut out on the double

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/The-Beat-Girls-tp3027945p4171487.html
To unsubscribe from The Beat Girls, click here.
NAML

Re: The Beat Girls

Willoway
Here's another Felicity Balfour article from the Kensington Post, October 31st, 1969.

Slippin' and slidin', peepin' and a-hiddin

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
A sequence from the Gonk Ballet, one of Wilco Roger's dreams in a scene from the film 'Gonks Go Beat', 1965

Something that passed me by, earlier this year Gonks Go Beat was released on Blu Ray, the preview images here look nice, although perhaps not enough to aquire it yet.

https://networkonair.com/features/2019/05/31/gonks-go-beat-once-seen-never-forgotten/

Re: The Beat Girls

Radio Times 17-12-64, this is the same edition as the Barbara In Wonderland article.

Re: The Beat Girls

Mikey
Here is the show referenced (from the Genome listing) broadcast 31-12-64. Interestingly the Beat Girls are billed as "Les Beat Room Can-Can Ladies"

23.35 : Beat in the New!

Welcome the New Year with stars and celebrities.
Pat Campbell presents non-stop beat.

Billy J. Kramer with the Dakotas, The Kinks, The Merseybeats, The Graham Bond Organisation, Christine Holmes, Ray Singer
Peter and the Headlines play Hitsville '64

11.57 David Jacobs and the Gang see in the New Year

12.5 Davy Kaye presents Beat Cabaret
Starring P. J. Proby, The Rockin' Berries, Julie Rogers, Les Beat Room Can-Can Ladies.

Davy Kaye is appearing in 'Puss-in-Boots' at The Granada, Brixton
See page 37
Contributors
Presenter: Pat Campbell
Band: Billy J. Kramer with the Dakotas
Band: The Kinks
Band: The Merseybeats
Musicians: The Graham Bond Organisation
Singer: Christine Holmes
Singer: Ray Singer
House band: Peter and the Headlines
Item presenters: David Jacobs and the Gang
Item presenter (Beat Cabaret): Davy Kaye
Singer (Beat Cabaret): P. J. Proby
Band (Beat Cabaret): The Rockin' Berries
Singer (Beat Cabaret): Julie Rogers
Dancers (Beat Cabaret): Les Beat Room Can-Can Ladies
Design: Judy Steele
Lighting: Peter Smee
Sound: Bryan Forgham
Producer: Barry Langford