Quantcast

The Desert Island Dozens!

This might not work and may need deleting, but let's give it a try and see if anyone is interested. As per my Chat Thread 13 post a few weeks back, it's a twist on the Desert Island Routines thread.

The idea is to select tunes that really grab you deep inside when you hear them, the real gut wrenching ones that mean something to you, and add a few words about the memories associated with them. Now this could end up being a dirty dozen, as it's not your favourite songs or those you rate the best songs of all time but those most emotive to you. Some of mine are far from great songs, but they transport me to happy places and times. That's why there are a dozen and not the prerequisite Desert Island Discs eight, because most of us would probably struggle to limit ourselves to the smaller number. Perhaps the dozen will also afford us the chance to slip in the odd favourite track that brings happiness but isn't necessarily a gut wrencher.

Maybe the best way to handle this would be to grab a post each and edit the works in progress rather than to all go off for weeks and only post when complete. The tunes need not be ranked, just up to a dozen, in no particular order.

If it's a mad idea please say!

Edit: Title edited to read dozens.

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

VintageVideos
It's a mad idea... that's why I like it!

I'm in. Watch this space
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

Sue Menhenick
Quite VV ...... Great idea Coffee Thing ! Some interesting selections could arise out of this .....

                               😉

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

Doc
Now that's a tough request! Picking 12 out of so many good songs will be rather difficult.
To make it even tougher how about picking 12 Totp routines to go on the island as well (I'm not sure we've ever done that before). The choice is a bit easier as there is less than 1000 to choose from.

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

PattiForPM
Really interesting idea CT.  I think editing and gradually developing a full dozen might well work best for what might be a gargantuan task.  I like Doc's idea of a dozen dances to go with us too if you wouldn't mind CT

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

CoffeeThing
Its a great idea, though I think this thread started by Suefan may be similar to what is being suggested, or are we talking pairing up the tunes with routines? Either way, it sounds good to me

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

Old Grey Whistler
This sounds like a good idea CT. I wouldn't worry too much about the previous thread as a number of people who contributed to that one are no longer with us, and those that are may have changed their minds.

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

An awful lot of routines have been re discovered since that thread was started!
(PVL, Vicar, Levine to think of a few).

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

CoffeeThing
Great stuff, sounds like a good plan to me, a dozen of each it is then. I just didn't want to tread on the toes of the earlier thread. Gosh, it will take me a while to get mine sorted.

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

Everything'sRosie
I like lists, CT, so I'm up for this. When I first arrived in this parish I did a Top Ten, but it now needs some revision. Looking back that original inventory of mine was rather hurried (even a little careless) and though I still dearly love every entry on it, others have since worked their way into my affections to such a degree that they have replaced some of the original ten. And with a dozen I get another two anyway. I'll get to work on it.

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

Dancer
Quite a good idea this.  I am leaning towards Doc's idea of TOTP's.  I think I would like to stick to eight songs and then four TOTP's dance routines.  One would hope one would not have to give a synopsis of one's choice though.  I will follow other members but it is a good idea.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

Everything'sRosie wrote
I like lists, CT, so I'm up for this. When I first arrived in this parish I did a Top Ten, but it now needs some revision. Looking back that original inventory of mine was rather hurried (even a little careless) and though I still dearly love every entry on it, others have since worked their way into my affections to such a degree that they have replaced some of the original ten. And with a dozen I get another two anyway. I'll get to work on it.
The routines will take me a fair while too ER, I'm still working my way through them in a rather loose fashion

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

Dancer wrote
Quite a good idea this.  I am leaning towards Doc's idea of TOTP's.  I think I would like to stick to eight songs and then four TOTP's dance routines.  One would hope one would not have to give a synopsis of one's choice though.  I will follow other members but it is a good idea.
That's fine Dancer, whatever works for you, any number up to a dozen of each, and of course any synopsis is entirely optional, only if comfortable.

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I like this idea, I'm in

But you need to spell it out for someone as dopey as me

Are you talking any 12 songs? Or 12 actual routines from TOTP dance acts?
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

CoffeeThing
Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
I like this idea, I'm in

But you need to spell it out for someone as dopey as me

Are you talking any 12 songs? Or 12 actual routines from TOTP dance acts?
No, it is a bit confusing,. It started as 12 individual songs with personal connection and has evolved to those plus 12 routines, so you end up with  up to a dozen songs with meaning to you and your favourite dozen routines to keep you entertained on the island.

Re: The Desert Island Dozen!

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
This post was updated on .
OK So if I got this right, I will be picking my 12 songs, then also my 12 routines

so it turns out ridiculously tough to narrow songs down....I have had to give myself parameters in order to stay focussed on the job in hand, so I have limited myself to the 1970s....Here goes...I can't really give individual explanations except to say that they all take me back to long hot summers at junior school.

12 songs

Summer the First Time Bobby Goldsboro

Joybringer Manfred Mann's Earth Band

The Bangin' Man Slade

Juke Box Jive The Rubettes

Fox on the Run The Sweet

Hello Hooray Alice Cooper

The Witch's Promise Jethro Tull

No Honestly Lynsey de Paul

No Regrets Walker Brothers

A Glass of Champagne Sailor

Jealous Mind Alvin Stardust

Burn Baby Burn Hudson Ford
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: The Desert Island Dozens!

katy
ok 12 songs and 12 routines Im a bit slow also it took me a while to get it as well. 12 songs that bring back memories of a time and a place sounds very interesting. The title of the song and then the place it reminds us of.Then 12 routines that we like the most. ok

Re: The Desert Island Dozens!

These are my memorable tunes and dance choices;

1.  Honey by Bobby Goldsboro - I don't love the song but always reminds me of my Grandma who eventually gave me the single

2.  Pleasant Valley Sunday by Monkees - loved the Monkees TV Show as a kid and this song brings it back to me

3.  Magnificent Seven by Elmer Bernstein  -  my Dad's favourite cowboy movie and theme tune

4.  Hurdy Gurdy Man by Donovan - one of only two singles our School Common Room possessed so heard a million times

5.  Down by the Sea by Strawbs - favourite song on the first Album I bought, Bursting at the Seams

6.  Generation Landslide by Alice Cooper - my brother and I used to feel like suburban rebels spitting out these great lyrics

7.  She Does It Right by Dr Feelgood - they played our mid-70s School Dance and admirably distracted me from my inability to approach anyone with two X chromosomes

8.  Local Hero by Mark Knopfler - you can't avoid a girlfriend song or two and this is definitely one for me

9.  White Wedding by Billy Idol  -  soundtrack for one of the worst "Holidays" I ever had - persuaded to row up the Thames to it's ruddy source with "friends"

10. Suzanne by Leonard Cohen -  song sent from Canada to England by my future wife when we were temporarily apart and then I was hers

11. Running on Empty by Jackson Browne - my very first road song which tormented my whole family when played on my  Grundig Cassette player in my Dad's orange Volvo

12. Everybody Hurts by REM - yes they do and when I do this helps

Now the Dances........

1.  Down Down (PP 75)   -    My first introduction to the dancers and what an intro it is

2.  Sunday Girl (L&C 79)  -    "Tastefully done Legs"

3.  Shake Your Booty (RF 76)  -  Just great fun from an inventive Troupe

4.  Sexy Sugar Plum (PP 76)  -  Four ladies on top form

5.  Ai No Corrida (L&C 81)  -   Should they have stayed longer on TOTP I ask you??

6.  Tragedy (L&C 79)  -   An absolute classic

7.  You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet  (PP 74)  -  Best ever use of intact jeans?

8.  You Little Trustmaker (PP 74)  -  Brilliant.  Listening to OFTDs PP fans' opinions and rewatching made this one of my absolute favourites, thanks!

9.  It's Still Rock n Roll (L&C 80)  -  Simply a joy to behold

10. You Don't Bring Me Flowers (L&C 78)  -  Heart-rending virtuoso performance

11. Supernature (L&C 78)  -  Cavegirls leave us willingly defenceless

12. Green River (PP 70)  -  Great Go-Go Dance and where it all starts for TOTP Dance performance recovery.  Indispensable

 So sorry for all the classic Dances I left out.  Thanks CT for this idea

Re: The Desert Island Dozens!

Doc
PattiForPM wrote
9.  White Wedding by Billy Idol  -  soundtrack for one of the worst "Holidays" I ever had - persuaded to row up the Thames to it's ruddy source with "friends"
Excellent record, Billy went to school a couple miles up the road from where I live. Not sure he's been back much since.

Re: The Desert Island Dozens!

PattiForPM wrote
OK I'm making a start and this will be a work in progress, probably with a million edits.
I've started wit a list of nominations for the routines

Pan's People
Montego Bay
Dance With The Devil (v1)
I Get A Kick Out Of You
My First, My Last, My Eveything (v1)
Down Down
Get Down Tonight
Once Bitten, Twice Shy
The Hustle
Barbados (v1)
Island Girl
First Impressions
Barbados (v2)
You Sexy Sugar Plum

Ruby Flipper
Silly Love Songs

Legs and Co
December 63
Boogie Nights
Chanson D'Amour
Feel The Need In Me
Silver Lady (v1)
Egyptian Reggae
Night Fever
Dancing In The City
Supernature
Heart Of Glass
Tragedy
Sunday Girl
Hot Stuff
Say When
Them Heavy People
Don't Push It, Don't Force It
Let's Go Round Again
Same Old Scene
Bermuda Triangle
Ai No Corrida
Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart)

 Now I've got work out which 23 to leave behind! (I want them all!)