The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

I'm not sure HG ever showed any signs of igniting.  The only emotion they ever conveyed was a sullen, somewhat suppressed, anger.

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

As ever, when a question is posed that includes the names Flick Colby & Arlene Phillips in it, inevitability this turns into a Legs versus Hot Gossip debate. I like to think of it in Wrestling terms, Legs & Co were playing the babyface good guys and Hot Gossip were playing the dastardly heels. Quite simply that was how it was meant to be.

Both dance troupes had a whole heap of talent but portrayed it in different was. I mean what was the point of Hot Gossip going out there and becoming Legs & Co mark 2. It was only right that Arlene chose a different edgier style for them.

I have time for all the television dance troupes from back then and all deserve credit.

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

Suefan
Well I'm not asking that HG should have tried to mimic Legs or indeed any other dance troupe then in vogue.  Numerous other styles were available to provide differentiation.  I simply question the choosing of one so close to the gutter.
As to whether HC had talent is for me an irrelevance when most of the time the impression they leave simply leaves a nasty taste on the cortex.

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

SuPaLu
You find all the best dance moves in the gutter.
Sleazy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEiIAVZ2K9w

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

PattiForPM
I guess even if you're a Man Utd fan you should want Chelsea to do well in Europe

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

AC/PD
PattiForPM wrote
I guess even if you're a Man Utd fan you should want Chelsea to do well in Europe
or more accurately, Leicester.

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

PattiForPM
No I hate Leicester

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

I saw this and thought of you Supalu

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292058371247?clk_rvr_id=1203295569003&rmvSB=true

No I hate Leicester
The old local side?!

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

PattiForPM
Good memory ACPD!  Yup I'm only joking, I spent many happy days getting jostled on the way to Filbert St in the early 1980s

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

Ive known you seven years now SF and in that time you haven't mellowed a jot on Hot Gossip. Im not sure if you have at any time watched the televisual show that they made their name on, but their `in the gutter, in your face` style was ideal for it. They were simply doing what was required at that time. Yes it was sleazy, it was supposed to be.

I agree that the choreography and execution of the dance moves were not to everyone's taste, especially to the more reserved members of our brethren, and i know i and others will be facing a losing battle trying to convert you. Are they my dance troupe of choice, no, far from it they would feature way down. But i do think they were very good at what they did and i have to confess to watching and enjoying some of their routines, usually via Glenn Supalu's YT channel.

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

Thanks Mikey i saw it too.Far too pricey for moi.
Kim Leeson posted the poster on her Facebook page ages ago and i copied it.

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

PattiForPM wrote
I guess even if you're a Man Utd fan you should want Chelsea to do well in Europe
I think not.  Not when they bring the game into disrepute.

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

Yeah, i don't know how some of these sellers decide on their prices

You dont happen to know the origin of this clip do you, the info is a little vague

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4b9-yrwI3o

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

SuPaLu
It is from the Electric Blue adult video series.Hot Gossip did a routine where they were in a prison cell with Floyd as a prison guard.It was raunchy but certainly nothing more.

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

Mikey
Thanks Supalu, thats one badly worn tape.

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

SuPaLu
The clip is from Electric Blue The Movie (1981).I've posted a PG rated edited version.The original clip is 5.14 mins but the editor of Electric Blue inserted adult images into the HG routine in the prison cell set which could give the viewer the wrong idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGl-UgEL2Rs

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

Mikey
Nice one Supalu, it looks like the 2 tracks are Tracer by Brian Bennett and Galaxy (I'm the Ruler) by Bill Campbell and Aaron Henry, both from 1980.

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

Ive known you seven years now SF and in that time you haven't mellowed a jot on Hot Gossip. Im not sure if you have at any time watched the televisual show that they made their name on, but their `in the gutter, in your face` style was ideal for it. They were simply doing what was required at that time. Yes it was sleazy, it was supposed to be......
I was certainly aware of that show.  However, if I ever watched it the ongoing curving of space has now been sufficient to expunge any detailed memories, but I take the point that the HG style was what fitted nicely into that niche.

Rather than excuse the whole sorry episode though, as a matter of 'horses for courses', I would extend my disapprobation to that entire genre, which thought that cheap, tacky, and tawdry, was what the human condition could, or should only amount to.

My dislike of the HG dance style is that, in its own small way, it is a step along that lazy easy acceptance to what is in essence a dystopian vision of mankind.

Re: The Influence Of Two Choreographers On Each Other.

Suefan wrote
My dislike of the HG dance style is that, in its own small way, it is a step along that lazy easy acceptance to what is in essence a dystopian vision of mankind.
LOL, fair enough SF.