The Legs Detectives

Suefan
Legs Detective Agency

Rather than having foolishly dispensed with the girls services I think the beeb might have used their acting and dancing skills in a new drama series, which would have seen our heroines solving mysteries as they travelled around the country as a peripatetic dancing group.  Let me stress that is all from my over active imagination and, as I grew up reading Famous Five books and Agatha Christie detective stories, while set in the 1970's it would probably in ethos owe more to the 1950's if not the 1930's.

If such is of any appeal I'm after intro settings for the girls various adventures. If this sound too much like English homework please ignore and let this thread sink to the bottom of the pile where it most likely belongs.

Anyway to get the series started this is what I envision for the beginning of the opening episode.

Scene 1

Late one Sunday evening, having spent the weekend visiting an aunt who lives at the seaside, Sue is returning by train to London.  Having found herself an empty compartment she has settled down with a book for the journey when, just before the train is due to depart, the carriage door is opened by a station porter carrying a large suitcase which he heaves up onto the luggage rack.  He then returns to the platform to help an elderly lady with a walking stick into the compartment.  Having helped this lady to sit down, and assured her that one of his colleagues will be there to meet her when the train reaches London, he slams the door and the train sets off.

Sue then tries to concentrate on her book but after a short while she is disturbed by an unexpected noise and peeping over the top of her novel is surprised to see the elderly lady quietly weeping into a handkerchief.  On enquiring as to the matter Sue gets into conversation with the elderly lady.  She proceeds to tell Sue that she lives in a guest house in the seaside town, a guest house which she owns but which is run for her by her son.  However, in recent weeks it seems that the son has taken up with an 'undesirable young woman' making the old lady feel unwelcome in her own home and so she has decided to leave and go and stop with a friend.  Soon the train arrives in London and one of the station staff appears with a wheelchair as promised and with help from Sue the lady is got out of the carriage.  Whilst Sue is helping her the elderly lady surreptitiously slips a small envelope into one of the pocket of Sue's overcoat (this would not be discovered until some time late the next day).  The last Sue sees of the lady is her being wheeled away along the platform and into the night.

Scene 2

Waking up a little late the next morning Sue comes down to breakfast to find the other girls she shares the flat with already well into their toast and marmalade.  As she gets herself a bowl of cereal and some coffee the girls engage in some light-hearted ribald banter as to what had kept her out late (I know what twenty-something girls are like, I can tell you, having shared a house with several when at college.  Anyway, I digress).  Sue sits down at the table to eat her breakfast and one of the other girls, who had been reading the paper before she came in, picks it up again.  On the page facing Sue is the headline 'Unknown Woman Found Dead' and although the accompanying picture is grainy, and the face somewhat disfigured from a blow, there is no doubting that it is the same lady she met on the train.

The rest of the episode would see Sue telling the police her story.  The discovery of the envelope in her coat pocket which would contain a rather cryptic message.  One of the other girls falling for the dashing police inspector.  A return to the seaside to snoop around or stay at the dead ladies guest house.  And, after the obligatory in peril moment for one or more of our heroines, of course at the end the girls would unmask the villain and bring him to justice.

Re: The Legs Detectives

Suefan did the old lady look like Ma Baker.

Re: The Legs Detectives

Suefan
Nice one Ryan.  By the way noticed on one of the other threads you were having email probs of a sort so two questions.  Did you drop me a line yesterday when I was down in the dumps cos if so I didn't get it and second did you get that link I sent you a few days ago to the Summer Breeze number.

I see I top the fans league table although it's a position I would gladly relinquish - is that on age or repro.  One amendment; although spent a lot of time in SA I'm British.

Re: The Legs Detectives

I did recieve your link. I will re-send my email shortly. If you dont get it tell me.

Re: The Legs Detectives

lulupatti&sue
Suefan this is really good. can't wait for the next chapter.

Re: The Legs Detectives

Suefan
It will be a while but I'll flesh out the rest of this episode as well as coming up with a couple more scenarios.  Having seen Cherry in that Minder clip I think she will have to woven into one of the stories as a returning character as well.

Re: The Legs Detectives

 Dave
   Hi Suefan. think the detective story is great.....you have a better way with the written word (as been demonstrated with the poems/odes that have been penned) so I can only offer a few suggestions that you may consider or bin as you choose.
Maybe the cryptic note hints at something like....Go down to harbour...find the yacht called the White Russian sailing for Barbados  ....travel with the ship and contact agent  Pearl, they have the documents ! On finding the note ,Sue travels back down to the coast and down to the harbour where she finds the yacht but also recognises one of the crew loading crates on board as  the porter from the station last seen wheeling the old lady off in the wheel chair. She overhears a heated arguement between this man and a couple (man and woman) blaming each other for the bungled murder of the old lady,with references to missing documents that were not on her person and that she must have hidden them knowing the KGB were prepared to have them at any cost......and now they were in BIG trouble with the Russians as they didnt have the papers and the deal they had wasnt going to happen...they were going to sail to Barbados to meet up with Russians to try and save the deal for themselves. To do this they would have to sail under the disguise of being a cruise holiday yacht and take on board some normal members of the public to avoid suspician when they arrived in Barbados. It also meant having to advertise for some singers and dancers to provide entertainment for the passengers that would normally be expected on any cruise. Sue follows the couple as they place an ad in the local entertainment paper published that same day....Sue buys a copy and sees the ad...she then rings the girls and fills them in on what she has learnt and that they need to solve this for the old ladies ske and for the sake of National Security ! They all readily agree and arrange that Sue should ring the ad and offer the services of Legs and Co as the cabaret for the cruise....She does so and anappoinment is made for the girls to meet the client..... mega wealthy Baby Face Floyd! (A wanted gangster from Barbados.....)  They get the job and prepare for a voyage of danger suspician more murder and espionage !!!!
I could rattle on but may be you think that this is just SO bad I should stop !!!!
                                                                                                                   Dave .

Re: The Legs Detectives

Suefan
Not at all Dave, great stuff.  Flying visit to the forum but will spend more time reading it later i the week.  Thanks a lot.

Re: The Legs Detectives

Patti'sdaughter
Cool Suefan, I can't wait to read more.
amy x

Re: The Legs Detectives

Kace
suefan when will we get the next adventure? i know ur busy but i find it really good
ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

XxXx

Re: The Legs Detectives

Suefan
Hi Kace, yes it's been a hectic fortnight but I'm in Oslo for a few days next week so should have some free time in the evening.  Bear with me, I'm going to take some of Dave's excellent ideas to move the first story on, and will also try to use one of the girls routines as the basis for my next plot.

Re: The Legs Detectives

Kace
cool. i cant wait. u ave a great time in oslo. x
ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

XxXx

Re: The Legs Detectives

Patti'sdaughter
Hi Suefan,  It will be really good to read the next chapter.  Enjoying your holiday to the beautiful Oslo is more important.  Have a wonderful time.
amy x

Re: The Legs Detectives

Suefan
Hi Amy, no holiday unfortunately but will do my best.

Re: The Legs Detectives

Patti'sdaughter
Oh okay.  You can still enjoy Oslo though.
amy x

Re: The Legs Detectives

Patti'sdaughter
Oh okay.  You can still enjoy Oslo though.
amy x

Re: The Legs Detectives

Suefan
Yes indeed, although it's always more fun when my lass can come with me.  Have you been there?  This will be my first visit so I'm planning on doing a bit of exploring.

Re: The Legs Detectives

Hi Dave, many thanks for your post and my apologies for having taken so long to return to my thread.  If I were producing that series you would have furnished us with sufficient material for at least another three or four episodes!  Hope you don't mind but I've taken the liberty of extracting a few of your ideas for the settings of other episodes.  I'm not planning to take them any further as in all good escapist drama, after the odd stumble and setback, our heroines will always win the day.

Episode 1 - the son's dicey lady turns out to be in cahoots with a drug smuggler, the note mentions the name of his yacht and the name of a cove which Sue recognises and so, drawing a blank with the police inspector, she persuades four of the other girls to join in the investigation and they nab the culprits red handed.  The villain pulls a gun but one swift high kick from Patti has him seeing stars.

Episode 2 - having left Gill behind in London smitten with the police inspector in episode one, episode two opens with our beauty queen waiting at a restaurant for her date to show up.  He never appears so she goes round to the chaps flat only to find the door forced and the place ransacked.  Amongst the mess she finds two tickets to a new show opening the following night entitled 'Show Boat to Cairo'.  Time for a repeat performance from SuLu as the gang gatecrash the party to rescue the policeman from the clutches of the mob.

Episode 3 - their cabaret on a Barbados bound cruise ship gig is interrupted when one of the passengers loses her diamond necklace and the girls end up chasing a know gangster across the island.  Cue Lulu's high speed driving while everyone hangs on for dear life.

Re: The Legs Detectives

Dave
  Very impressive Suefan....I dont know what you actually do for a living but you could have a serious calling for working with your unique talent for the written word.....It also is so good to see that not everything in life has to be dumbed down.....innit ! Wotever......yeh but ,no but..like !!  You are very clever with words, very admirable. Looking forward to reading more about our intrepid heroines !    Dave.

Re: The Legs Detectives

Suefan
Cheers Dave.  I find the blog such a great place to let my imagination run riot, especially in these sombre times.  Perhaps a couple more episode settings and it will then be time to park this thread.