The Pan's People Diary

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
22/10/1970: Another missing week. Possible contenders:
Four Tops - Still Water
CCR - Bayou Country
Freda Payne - Band Of Gold

Still Water used to be the Popscene guess (not any more), I'd favour Band of Gold, but it's also possible that there was no dance at all.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Mikey
No Pans pics, but here are Clarence Carter and Mary Hopkin on the set that week, yes typical 1970 weirdness.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
Great pictures, Mikey. I love those 70's sets.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
23/10/1969: Pan's People dance on the 300th edition of Top of the Pops to the Upsetters' reggae instrumental "Return Of Django". We don't know much about that dance except what was reported in the Edinburgh Evening News dated 24/10/69: "Bare mid-riffed dancers dancing to the Upsetters hit had the number 300 painted around their navels." Nice, eh
The Upsetters were the house band for Jamaican reggae producer Lee "Scratch" Perry. "Return Of Django" was one side of a double A-sided single, the other side was another instrumental called "Dollar In The Teeth". The 45 climbed to a peak of No. 5 in the UK with 15 weeks on the charts.
Here is the tune:
And this was the other side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icAXV_zEI_M

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
23/10/1975: Pan's People dance on Top of the Pops to the Trammps' "Hold Back The Night". The dance was wiped by the BBC but survives as part of "The Vicar's Tapes", and several of our members were lucky to see it. "Hold Back The Night" was the biggest UK hit for the Trammps, hitting No. 5. Although the American group regularly released singles during the 1970s, they only made the UK Top 20 twice (their other hit was of course "Disco Inferno" from the Saturday Night Fever movie). Four more singles reached the Top 50, but none of them went higher than No. 29.

For the Pan's People performance, the original 40 second intro of the song was shortened to just 20 seconds. Here is a screenshot from the routine (courtesy of Suefan's Caption Comp thread):

And here is the song (the full version):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4O-3ccyMcg

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
24/10/1968: Pan's People dance on Top of the Pops for the first of at least three times to "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly". The instrumental was the main theme for the Spaghetti Western of the same name, starring Clint Eastwood, Lee van Cleef & Eli Wallach. Written by Ennio Morricone, the tune was performed by American Hugo Montenegro, His Orchestra & Chorus who, in a combined effort, took it to No. 1 in the UK charts for four weeks in November/December 1968.

The routine is wiped but we have a picture which seems to originate from either the first or the second performance (in November):

L - R: Dee Dee, Louise, Babs, Flick, Andrea, Ruth

And here is the record:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohifRu6RoS0

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
24/10/1974: Pan's People dance on Top of the Pops to the Stylistics' "Let's Put It All Together". Our girls performed a total of seven times to recordings by the Stylistics. Five of those routines were saved either by the BBC (2 routines), the PVL (1 routine), David Hamilton (1 routine), or Ian Levine and the Vicar (1 routine), while two seem to be lost forever. Unfortunately this dance falls into the latter category.

We don't know much about the routine, but you can read Dancer's recollections here.

And this is the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n_qfxXWBK0

Re: The Pan's People Diary

I seem to remember them dancing to Clair and they were dressed as young girls as in ribbons in their hair and hair bands.  Has anyone seen the promo film for the Gilbert O'Sullivan track?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

I have got nothing in my book for this week for some reason.  Do you think they were on holiday?  They did not always appear each week in the early seventies.  If they did perform I would guess Still Water by Four Tops as the Motown songs were always at their forefront.

Incidentally this thread is so interesting Vin and thanks for putting so much effort into it.  It reads lovely and brings back so many memories.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

This was a lovely routine and the record as you say had been edited down.  I got the feeling that there was a D J promo for this song as when it was released it was Parts 1 and 2.  Even now when they play it the intro is so long and longer than the original 1975 radio version.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

This was a lovely routine and yes Ruth performed this beautifully as she was in a beige chair similar if not exact replicas of the chairs in the dining room of Abigail's Party with Alison Steadman.  We should have done that routine as a group at the annual get together.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

I cannot add to D's recollections, save to say that from a notebook I was using for various jottings at that time that the girls had worn long dresses for this one.  In all probability back then that would not have been a good thing!

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Sitting down dancing.... Now that is more in my comfort zone!

Re: The Pan's People Diary

AC/PD
You'd have been tailor-made for participation in the Ma Baker routine.
Likewise!

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Yes they were long dresses Suefan.  I think they resembled the long dresses of the Three Degrees number.  They had to stand out from the chair.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Suefan
Dancer wrote
Yes they were long dresses Suefan.  I think they resembled the long dresses of the Three Degrees number.....
But with more material !

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
Thanks for your contributions, guys. It's great that some of our members here can recall a few details from lost routines.

To answer Dancer's question, I think I've seen a lot of promo videos but cannot remember one for Clair. However it's interesting that you can recollect a possible Pan's People routine to that song.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Dancer
Thanks Vin.  I will keep it flowing in my mind because the more I think of it the more flesh around the bones happens.  I can see those girls with alice bands on and ribbons but I just question the performance by the man himself.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
25/10/1973: Another "missing" week on Top of the Pops. Want to speculate? Potential contenders are:
David Bowie - Sorrow
Stevie Wonder - Higher Ground
Detroit Spinners - Ghetto Child (rpt from 11/10)

Now what's interesting about Ghetto Child is that the BBC database lists this as a 'repeat'. Yet it had only been featured once before on TOTP, and that was the Pan's People performance on 11/10, so pure logic would dictate that this routine was shown again on 25/10. But - the BBC database also lists the Four Tops' "Sweet Understanding Love" on the same show as a repeat, although it had clearly never been featured before. That's the dilemma with the database: it's simply not consistent.

Personally I think there's a good chance that a repeat of Ghetto Child was shown on that episode but we cannot be sure.

What we can be sure of, though, is that Pan's People appeared on "The Two Ronnies" that day, dancing to José Feliciano's version of "Yesterday". That is one truly fantastic performance. If you haven't watched it yet, you should really go and watch it now!

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PattiforPM
Speaking entirely from personal bias, I sincerely hope they danced to Higher Ground, which is absolutely wonderful