The Pan's People Diary

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Malta
Great thread.  I am always pleasantly surprised how much information is to be found on this site.  Thanks to all who contribute.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Mikey
Hi Malta, did you ever manage to work out if that play Flick did in Paris was in 1970 or 1972?, i'd favour 1970 as she was absent during the last few months, PansLegs recently posted a pic of another routine from that period again with no Flick. I find it intriguing that she just disappeared like that, maybe one of the presenters mentioned it in passing, but with so many shows missing i guess we'll never know.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
04/03/1971: Pan's People dance on Top of the Pops to "Allemande" and "Wedding March, "La Mourisque"", two short pieces of music that were "arranged from sixteenth century sources by David Munrow" and played by The Early Music Consort directed by David Munrow. The music had been recorded for "The Six Wives of Henry VIII", a cycle of six individual ninety minute plays written especially for Television and starring Keith Michell. The series was first transmitted between 1 January and 5 February 1970.

This performance may be the biggest oddity in the Pan's People catalogue. Filmed on location at Hatfield House, the ladies are dressed in medieval costumes and present a couple of dances that are a long way from anything else they ever did for TOTP. Tony Blackburn explained the reason why this film was shown at all on TOTP when he introduced this unusual "dance routine":
"There you go, I said we got a pretty exciting chart for you. Must have seen a fabulous series called "The Wives of Henry VIII". I said Top of the Pops is gonna be a little bit different tonight. There was some great music and BBC Enterprises have put out a fabulous EP in their wisdom and we're gonna show you now Pan's People dancing to some of the tracks (... mumbling, possibly something like "from the show")".
So there you have it, self-promotion was obviously never an issue! Did it help? Well, just a little bit: the EP entered the UK charts four weeks later at No. 49 but dropped out again the following week. "Allemande / Wedding March" thus holds the dubious distinction of being the lowest charting record that Pan's People ever danced to (backing dances excluded).

The performance has survived in the BBC archive, alas without sound. An audio recording of the show also exists.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Mikey
Can't see the kids rushing out to the shops to buy this one. PP were obviously very integral to the show that they were afforded these on location filming spots from time to time, although they did diminish as the years went on (Monster Mash being the last?).

I'm sure most people have watched this one at some point and it is very unusual of course, i wouldn't even have a clue how to offer a score should that ever happen. I guess the costumes could have been the same ones used for the original TV show. I did find this online which made me smile, its the Pans People colour scheme.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

I guess there are a few similarities with these two Pans dances from 1971 and a Legs dance some ten years later from 1981, namely Chi Mai. Both had pieces of music used in historical BBC programmes. Both also had pieces of music that was almost impossible to construct an entertaining dance routine for. Both found the dancers confined in cumbersome unflattering costumes.

Who knows, maybe its time to unleash Allemande and Wedding March for public consumption. Chi Mai didn't fair to well in the Legs comments section, its average a lowly 6.38, though i didn't have so much a downer on it as some. Id wager if this pair of Tudor dances found itself in the PPCS, it would find itself firmly anchored to the foot of it.

Vin i am surprised to see that the series was shown in early 1970. Any idea how the EP wasn't released until a year later ? Id have thought the time to cash-in (or try to) was when it was first broadcast.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Vin i am surprised to see that the series was shown in early 1970. Any idea how the EP wasn't released until a year later ? Id have thought the time to cash-in (or try to) was when it was first broadcast.
I was quite surprised about that as well. But the actual release date of the EP may have been somewhat earlier. The record says (P) 1970, so it may have been released that year already. In any case it seems odd that the tracks were featured on TOTP more than a year after the series had ended. But that is what happened, and the record even briefly entered the charts afterwards.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Willoway
This series was a big success at the time (giving rise to a film) and it's notable the chart entry was after the second run, on BBC1, and not after the first run, on BBC 2. I guess the audiences in those days would be well north of 10 million for a BBC1 show after the news, so not that surprising the show music saw a little chart action second time around.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
Ah thanks Willoway, I had no idea the series had enjoyed a second run so quickly.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

AC/PD
The series was repeated, a year on from the first six showings, in a Sunday night slot on BBC1.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Interestingly, the even better in my view, Tudor period six-part drama `Elizabeth R`, starring Glenda Jackson was first shown on BBC television between February & March 1971.

With two such strong BBC Tudor dramas in a year, its no wonder an attempt was made to try and enter the hit parade with a little light Consort music.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

A quality informative read as it always was, Vin. Good that you've revived this feature.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Willoway wrote
This series was a big success at the time (giving rise to a film)
I remember the film being shown. The stunningly beautiful Lynne Frederick (later Mrs Peter Sellers AND Mrs David Frost) played Catherine Howard. Unfortunately that pretty head became separated from its body courtesy of the executioners axe.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Thank you very much for reviving this feature, Vin. I am sure we all appreciate the effort and hard work you take to compile it for our benefit. I will be eagerly awaiting other instalments whenever they appear on the thread. Great and informative reading as expected.
I was interested that these dances were performed to the accompaniment of David Munrow and the Early Music Consort. I have other recordings of their  work with different artists like the Young Tradition and Shirley Collins. This because the style of music had a large crossover with the folk music world. He died very young at the age of 33 sadly.
I did  not know that the dances survive without sound, if I read correctly. Perhaps a job for someone, to synchronise the dance and music for our approval. Any takers?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PansLegs
Great to see this thread alive once again.

Hanway2 wrote
I did  not know that the dances survive without sound, if I read correctly. Perhaps a job for someone, to synchronise the dance and music for our approval. Any takers?
There is a master with audio present. Not that it's a particularly difficult job to synchronise a mute version with the single I would have thought.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
PansLegs wrote
Not that it's a particularly difficult job to synchronise a mute version with the single I would have thought.
It's been done already. However, the result is not publicly available.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Super excited about the return of the Pan's People Diary! Thanks for giving it another go Vin.
Finally, a routine where Pan's People are actually shown for who they are ... Queens!
Though not yet liberated from the archives, it looks like a fun routine, though the song isn't really the typical track of a Pan's People routine. Reminds me of Chi Mai from 1981, though as it is a location routine, much more interesting.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

I may have found an answer to the Flick disappearance thanks to this article in The Stage dated 26-11-70, nothing to do with Paris this time.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
18/03/1971: Pan's People dance on Top of the Pops to "Walking" by C.C.S. The Collective Consciousness Society was formed in 1970 by John Cameron and Mickie Most and consisted largely of session musicians. One of their more prominent members was blues guitarist Alexis Korner. Justifiably they never used their full name for record releases, instead the abbreviation C.C.S. was employed - and even though the three letters were reminiscent of another popular group around at that time (C.C.R.), their musical styles were so different that it was impossible to mistake their identity.

Their first single was a more or less instrumental cover of a classic Led Zeppelin track, "Whole Lotta Love", which already made the UK Top 20 - benefitting from the fact that the original was never issued on a 45 in Britain. Moreover, on 05/11/1970, just one week after its chart entrance, "Whole Lotta Love" became the new theme music for "Top of the Pops" in a re-recorded version by the TOTP orchestra. If you're wondering about the similarities of the two versions, the orchestra was conducted by John Cameron on that occasion and many of the musicians were C.C.S. regulars. To celebrate the new theme tune, Pan's People danced to the record after the chart countdown. Alas, the recording was wiped and is since labelled as missing.

C.C.S.'s second single "Walking" (written by Donovan Leitch, better known as just "Donovan") was released in January 1971 and went as high as No. 7 in the UK charts, propelled by a Pan's People routine on 18/03/1971 which is fortunately still held in the BBC archive (though currently not in public circulation), thanks to the Bob Pratt tapes. Donovan never officially put out his own version which was recorded in 1970 during the sessions for the "Open Road" album. However, a 'demo' version has leaked out and, of course, it's on YouTube - and definitely worth a listen!
It's interesting to note that C.C.S. seem to have performed "Walking" before its actual release date on "Into 71", aired on 31/12/1970 - eight weeks before the single finally charted. The 45 was a slow climber, reaching its peak position in the seventh week.

When Pan's People performed "Walking" in the TOTP studios, Flick was missing. It is not quite clear why, especially as she was present the week before. She is also present in "Hot Love (Version 2)" which may originate from the same show as "Walking". It's also rather obvious that the routine was pre-recorded - which may be the reason it still exists after all.

Most members have probably seen this performance already. I think it's pretty cool, and my eyes are often drawn to my favourite dancer Ruth. I'm no expert on this but the girls seem to be dressed as fairies while the colours have been chosen in accordance with the standard Pan's People colour scheme.

Of course it must be mentioned that Pan's People recorded another routine to "Walking", dancing on deck of the HMS London, which is referred to in the book on pages 99 and 103. There is some confusion about the broadcast date of that video, however. The BBC database lists a "video" of Pan's People for "Walking" for the 01/04/1971. The problem is that the book says the film was shot in May - too late for TOTP! Yet the book also says that "a Top of the Pops item involving Pan's People" was filmed. Now if that was the aforementioned "Walking" and the date May 1971 was correct, this would have made no sense whatsoever. "Walking" was rapidly going down the charts in May, so why should they make a film of it? Therefore I wonder if the date given in the book may be incorrect.

Finally I'd like to add some personal memories why "Walking" is so special to me. My parents bought our first cassette recorder early in 1971, and around that time I was still heavily listening to AM radio (because there was so little on FM). On my very first cassette, I have a recording of Tony Blackburn introducing the song with the words: "OK let's go walking with C.C.S. right now (...) It's Tuesday, second of March, and it's 1971. It's the only Tuesday this week so make the most of it, won't you". It was only years later that I realized this must have been a recording from BBC Radio 1, probably from the Breakfast Show.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Legsfan
Thanks Vin for writing the latest entry into the Pan's People Diary . This is another routine that I didn't know existed until today, but I must say that it does look really interesting with the capes and kind of looks like it has some sort of sci-fi theme with the big collars and symbols on the costumes. In fact it reminds me of The Doctor from Doctor and the Medics, maybe this is where he got his idea from. I look forward to the day that I get to see this routine, though the song does sound like it would be good with a Pan's People routine. I'm one of the few that gets C.C.R. and C.C.S. confused sometimes, so I think of C.C.R. as Green River and C.C.S. as TOTP theme.
Thanks Vin and I look forward to the next Pan's People Diary entry

Re: The Pan's People Diary

I reckon ive shown this at all 4 of my Derby OFTDs events and it always goes down well with the guys and i like the song and routine. But this is just another routine from my perspective that was recorded well before the studio audience were in the building. For example, whats with the static 3 second standing start. All i can see in attendance are the camera & studio crew. Maybe the original got wiped and we are left with the final rehearsal, who knows. Anyhow, its a case of who does ones eyes fall upon. Me, well its the purple caped clad Andrea.