The Pan's People Diary

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Doc
It’s existance has been listed in the surviving TOTP appearances for some years!

Re: The Pan's People Diary

But this is just another routine from my perspective that was recorded well before the studio audience were in the building. (...) Maybe the original got wiped and we are left with the final rehearsal, who knows.
It was definitely pre-recorded (as mentioned in my original post). But I didn't think for a minute that this is a recording of a rehearsal, simply because of the captions that are used in the video:

The same kind of captions were used in the clip for "Everything's Tuesday" three weeks earlier (which seems to have been pre-recorded as well).

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Towards the end of the routine, Andrea loses her concentration a bit and turns towards the others as though shes lost her way. This sort of thing can happen a lot when a dancer is closest to the camera, almost like the camera is a source of distraction.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PattiforPM
For me this is a Ruth and Dee Dee eye-catcher.  I've said before how the "early" Ruth really shines for me and she just seems so sultry and exotic here.  I don't think I've thanked Vin for reviving this Thread yet and if not I hereby do it.  Great to see these performances getting an airing and a thorough introduction

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PansLegs
VintageVideos wrote
RYAN wrote
But this is just another routine from my perspective that was recorded well before the studio audience were in the building. (...) Maybe the original got wiped and we are left with the final rehearsal, who knows.
It was definitely pre-recorded (as mentioned in my original post). But I didn't think for a minute that this is a recording of a rehearsal, simply because of the captions that are used in the video:

The same kind of captions were used in the clip for "Everything's Tuesday" three weeks earlier (which seems to have been pre-recorded as well).
Plus the fact that the existing section of the 18/3/71 episode has this exact same PP insert following Atomic Rooster.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Can anybody explain the weird 3 second standing start ?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
I think we're just very lucky here to have the full video without editing at the beginning. That's why we can even see the dancers at the very start of the clip waiting for the music to set in. Of course, I don't believe that these first few seconds were ever actually shown on TOTP. A bit like the out-take sequence from Ghetto Child when they are all lined up and waiting.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PansLegs
More often than not, pre-recorded inserts, whether they be on film or VT, were prepared with some sort of hold or starting point to effectively allow some margin for error timing wise. Inserts were generally run in on a 10 second cue and would either be cut up on the vision mixer or dissolved through to - either way it was a manual operation. In the case of this PP insert, as well as waiting for the music playback, the recorded 'standing start' allowed for a nice transition (a slow dissolve) from another VT insert (Atomic Rooster from 25/2/71) in the final show. In this case, most of the beginning hold did make it to air accompanied by applause and DJ voice-over.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PansLegs
By way of illustration...

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
Thanks, PansLegs. That is some fascinating background information. My understanding is that both Atomic Rooster & C.C.S. survive courtesy of the Bob Pratt tapes. So I am asking myself whether he copied those clips like they were shown in the actual edited broadcast version, or whether he just copied those two inserts and added a transition effect afterwards. As mentioned before, Atomic Rooster had originally been shown on 25/02/1971, so those two clips didn't even have to be from the same show. The thing is that my copy of "Walking" contains neither applause nor a DJ link. There is applause at the end of "Tomorrow Night" but it fades out as soon as "Walking" begins. By contrast the excerpt from the 17/09/1970 show contains applause and a link by Tony Blackburn between Pan's People and The Tremeloes.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PansLegs
They were two recordings on Bob's tapes - the clean insert and the section from 18/3/71. It's definitely not a transition Bob has made - before Atomic Rooster there's Barry Ryan. The existing recording (like many from this period) is from the 'clean' audio recording minus the presenter mic, whereas the 17/9/70 clip happens to be from the transmitted version with the full soundtrack.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
Thanks for the explanation. I always thought the second recording of "Tomorrow Night" was just audience dancing, as mentioned in this post:
http://missingepisodes.proboards.com/post/74106
"Colour: Atomic Rooster - Tomorrow Night: audience dancing (ex TOTP 1971)
(11.01.38-04.50)"

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PansLegs
VintageVideos wrote
Thanks for the explanation. I always thought the second recording of "Tomorrow Night" was just audience dancing, as mentioned in this post:
http://missingepisodes.proboards.com/post/74106
"Colour: Atomic Rooster - Tomorrow Night: audience dancing (ex TOTP 1971)
(11.01.38-04.50)"
I believe the 2 entries are the same footage, only the description has varied as the clip does contain audience dancing of course.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Malta
No I have not but I'll keep digging.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
23/04/1970: Top of the Pops features a film starring Pan's People and Jimmy Savile, shot on location at the Royal Marines Infantry Training Centre at Lympstone. The music played is "Who Do You Love" by British blues rockers Juicy Lucy. This was Juicy Lucy's only sizeable hit, with the follow-up "Pretty Woman" (not the Orbison song) getting stuck at No. 44. The single was actually on its way down the charts to No. 20 from its peak position of No. 14 the week before.

Pan's People had already danced to WDYL in the studio four weeks earlier, and we believe we have a few pictures from that routine here:
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/1-Juicy-Lucy-Who-Do-You-Love-26-03-70-Probable-td4100771.html

The band had also performed the song on TOTP 12/02/1970. The clip survived as it was shown on Hits A Gogo four weeks later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SaxnDzvBt4
(ignore the date that is mentioned there, it's wrong)

The Pan's People film is mentioned in their book on page 94, although Dee Dee is quoted as saying, "we went off to Brize Norton to film with the Royal Marines". As far as I could work out, Brize Norton is a station of the Royal Air Force while the training centre of the Royal Marines is at Lympstone. Maybe someone knows better? The book also says that the film was shot on the 23rd of April 1970, meaning it would have been aired on the same day which I find hard to believe.

The storyline (if there actually was one) was obviously meant to be funny, and it may have raised a few smiles with its slapstick comedy style back in the day. Of course, with today's knowledge it's hard to smile when you see Jimmy Savile fooling around with the girls. Nevertheless I'm glad the clip has survived - where else can you watch Ruth driving a motorbike!

The film is not publicly available, but a very short excerpt (about 8 seconds) can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_qOrpFUNU4

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Legsfan
Interesting read Vin. This looks like a much better than the studio performance, well from what the photos look like. I agree with you Vin, looking at the Google Maps image for Lympstone, it looks like the motorbike was filmed in this space on the site

Maybe Pan's People did another routine at RAF Brize Norton or performed out of TOTP.
I have seen this routine once before and I like it, but it doesn't make sense to me that TOTP would go all that way to record a TOTP segment for a single that has already been in the charts for a number of weeks, unless they were offered the rare access and couldn't think of anything else for Pan's People to dance to. If I could rate it from memory, it would be a 10/10.
I look forward to the next PPD!

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PansLegs
I don't know the date of fliming but definitely not on the day of broadcast or even the day before, that's for sure. More like the week or weekend before at least.

Shot on 35mm film (unlike some of the later filmed routines) this is therefore one of the few original items of our dancers that's truly high-definition capable.

I can't add much else except to say the shot of this person below was a cheeky self nod as it's none other than Tom Taylor himself, who used to make these quirky films. Unfortuantely he died quite young... I'm not sure he even saw out the 70s.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos wrote
The storyline (if there actually was one) was obviously meant to be funny, and it may have raised a few smiles with its slapstick comedy style back in the day. Of course, with today's knowledge it's hard to smile when you see Jimmy Savile fooling around with the girls. Nevertheless I'm glad the clip has survived - where else can you watch Ruth driving a motorbike!
The direction is similar to a Benny Hill type caper but with Jimmy Sovile in it, it's a bit uncomfortable to watch now.
In spite of that, Ruth's OMG expression when she realises how fierce the brakes are on the motorbike is priceless.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Doc
Shame the ‘wigs’ performance got binned, it looks like it was an interesting routine.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Yes, it is one of those great random moments, better stick to the day job Ruth.

The absence of any greenery on the trees makes me think this was filmed some weeks earlier and strange they only showed it when the record dropped as Vin mentioned, kind of like 'well we made this film, guess we better show it anyway'.

Another random thing i noticed both Babs and Dee Dee seem to be the only ones to switch from skirts to trousers.