The Pan's People Diary

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
26/10/1972: Pan's People dance on Top of the Pops to "Here I Go Again" by Archie Bell & The Drells. The song dates back to 1969, when it was released as a single in the US. Back then the record was only a minor success: it stalled at No. 112 on Billboard's "Bubbling Under The Hot 100" chart. However, its growing popularity on the Northern Soul scene lead to a belated UK release in August 1972. Here the 45 became a surprise hit, peaking at No. 11 in November, the highest position Archie and his boys would ever achieve.

The song was written by Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff who would form their own label, Philadelphia International Records (PIR), in 1971, creating the so-called "Philly Sound" which dominated the airwaves in the early and mid seventies, with artists like The O'Jays, The Three Degrees, MFSB, Lou Rawls, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes and many others.

As the dance is wiped, I don't know anything about the routine. But it may have been the last performance by Andrea Rutherford who left Pan's People in October 1972. It's a bit sad that up to this day we do not even know for sure what Andi's final routine was.

Anyway, here is the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9mvRxzsZDg

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
28/10/1971: A missing week with just two disc entries:
Bay City Rollers - Keep On Dancing
Slade - Coz I Luv You

As one record was used for the chart countdown at the start of the programme and another for the end credits, there'd be nothing left for Pan's People to dance to. It is possible that they didn't appear at all that week.

Even though this has nothing to do with Pan's People, I'd like to mention that the episode from 28/10/1971 featured the only TOTP performance ever by one of my favourite singers, Lesley Duncan, promoting her single "Sing Children Sing". If you have 3 mins to spare, here is the tune, too beautiful to make the charts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p87zXD_sUXc

Lesley recorded a new version of the song for a charity single in 1979, featuring Pete Townshend, Phil Lynott, Kate Bush and several others. Of course it didn't chart either:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4KRukPmfhU

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PattiforPM
I've been thinking about buying some Lesley Duncan music since last time you talked of her Vin but it's hard to swallow some of the prices for her CDs on places like Amazon.  Her stuff must be pretty rare I guess

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
It is. Her UK releases on Edsel have long gone out of print, and the other available CDs are imports from either Korea or Japan. If you want to make a start, I'd suggest to look for the CD "Sing Children Sing" (harder to get) if you prefer her folk-ish side, or for the slightly more poppy "Moon Bathing" which is currently sold for a decent price on amazon.ca by Celeste (the record label). If you can call 30 CDN$ a decent price that is, but actually that is comparably low-priced.
Very rarely her Edsel CDs turn up used and inexpensive, but you'll need a lot of patience and luck! I got "Earth Mother" used on discogs for 9,50 £ last year - a real bargain! But then, it isn't her best album.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
29/10/1970: Pan's People dance on Top of the Pops to "War" by Edwin Starr. The anti-Vietnam protest song was Starr's biggest success (#1 US, #3 UK). Originally recorded by The Temptations, public demand, especially from young people, pressed Motown to release the track as a single. However, the label feared to damage the reputation of its most popular male group with this potentially controversial song. As a compromise between the writers and the label, "War" was newly recorded by Edwin Starr. His dramatic interpretation reflected the anger and distaste of the anti-war movement even better than the - by comparison rather restrained - Tempts' version.
Unfortunately Motown failed to find a suitable follow-up to that monster hit. The sequel "Stop The War Now" became only a minor success, and Starr's career began to falter. In 1979, he achieved a surprise comeback in the UK with two Top 10 hits, "Contact" and "H.A.P.P.Y. Radio". Starr passed away on April 2, 2003, at the age of just 61 years.

Once again, this dance was wiped and it seems it is lost forever. Here is a link to the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpWmlRNfLck

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
30/10/1975: It's goodbye to Dee Dee! For the last time, she danced with Pan's People on Top of the Pops. Her farewell performance was a routine to "Rock On Brother" by The Chequers. The dance is wiped, but exists as a private recording on the "Vicar tapes". It was shown on the Kal event on 05/04/2014 which several of our members attended. You can find Suefan's recollections here:
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Kal-event-at-stourbridge-1st-weekend-in-June-anyone-else-going-tp4025023p4063554.html
and Gorgeous Daze's recollections here:
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Kal-event-at-stourbridge-1st-weekend-in-June-anyone-else-going-tp4025023p4063595.html
After Dee Dee's departure, none of the original founding members of Pan's People was featured in the line-up any more.

The Chequers were a UK group fronted by brothers John & Richard Mathias. Their first single was a reggae cover of the Buddy Holly classic "Everyday", released in 1972 on the Rhino Records label (a well-known UK reggae label). With their fifth single release, "Rock On Brother", the band had switched to playing soul/disco music. The instrumental, which bears a likeness to Van McCoy's "The Hustle", finally secured them a hit in the UK, peaking at #21. Success was short-lived though, as after one more chart entry ("Hey Miss Payne", #32), The Chequers vanished into oblivion. Good copies of their only album are offered at collectors prices, as - to the best of my knowledge - none of The Chequers' hits have ever appeared on CD.

Now, sadly I can't present the Pan's People routine as it is not publicly available. What I can do though is give you a link to a rather nice interpretation (I think!) by the ZDF Starparade Ballet, dancing to a version played by the James Last Orchestra:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr7G-06KmCo

And this is the original music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m69eRsLO_po

Re: The Pan's People Diary

I know im a bit late here but the bit about JS with a cake hat and a big charity cake is true, there is a Photoshot pic of this, sadly no one else in the pic hence me not posting it (unless anyone really wants it, no, ok good).

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
31/10/1968: Pan's People dance on Top of the Pops to "This Old Heart Of Mine" by The Isley Brothers. Originally released in 1966 (spending one week at #47 in the UK charts), the single was reissued in 1968, apparently to coincide with a promotional tour of Britain. This time it reached #3 in the Top 50, the biggest hit the Isleys ever had in the UK.

Of course, Rod Stewart would take the same song to #4 seven years later - and Pan's People would dance to it once again!

The routine is wiped, so here is just the music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_9M6kRfJes

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
31/10/1974: Pan's People dance on Top of the Pops to "Da Doo Ron Ron" by The Crystals. The song had already been a hit in 1963 (#5 UK), but it was rereleased in 1974 on a double A-sided single - backed with "And Then He Kissed Me" - and made the charts again, if only to #15.

Another wiped dance, this is the soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHTzy0ghHFI

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PattiforPM
I seem to recall SF suggesting from his memory banks that this Dance may have been rather good.  Late 1974 might give it some tiny chance of appearing one day I suppose

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Dancer
I remember this dance very well too.  It was all 60s outfits and sixties fixtures in the background.  I remember Sue very well coming to the screen in her mid blue A-line dress and stilettoes to the line "yes when he walked me home".  Very good dance.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
01/11/1973: Pan's People dance on Top of the Pops to David Cassidy's "Daydreamer". That was one of those rare occasions when our troupe danced to the No. 1 record (which only happened once during 1973).

Even though Cassidy is remembered as the heart throb of the early 70's, he actually had just two No. 1's in the UK (the first was "How Can I Be Sure"). In 1974 he began to demolish his own career when he wanted to be taken seriously and get away from the teenage idol image. His albums certainly became more ambitious but it wasn't what his - mostly female - fans wanted (the male population hated him anyway), so his records sold fewer and fewer copies. His final album of the 70's, 1976's "Gettin' It In The Street", wasn't even released in the UK.

This is the video that was shown on TOTP on 25/12/73:
https://ok.ru/video/42351725310

The Pan's People routine is wiped, but rumoured to exist in a private collection.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PattiforPM
Well I can't say this one would be anywhere near the top of my wish unwiped list although of course any recovered Dance is to be treasured.  Pity they couldn't have danced to the B-side and then perhaps the Get Down dogs could have been given the Flick pre-training for the Xmas Show

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
LOL a nice thought. One of these days I should try to redub the 'Get Down' routine with 'The Puppy Song'.

"Dreams are nothing more than wishes"...

Re: The Pan's People Diary

That old notebook I had included a mention of this routine so it must have been up there with the best.  Fairly fast ,and I seem to recall that the A line outfits, as mentioned by Dancer, were just a little fuller than the norm to allow for a bit more spin.  I think my note concluded with the telling phrase; "Sue in blue, yes!" which rather says it all.  A pity I can't now remember where I've filed the notebook!

Re: The Pan's People Diary

02/11/1972: ... and then there were four! After Andrea's departure, Pan's People were down to four members for a number of weeks. "Let's Dance", performed by American singer Chris Montez, seems to be the only surviving routine from that timeframe, although it is not in public circulation. Originally a No. 2 hit ten years earlier (in 1962), the rerelease still achieved a respectable No. 9 position. Going by the BBC database, Montez never presented the song on TOTP, which is a bit strange as he had appeared in April 1972 with "Loco Por Ti (Crazy For You)".

Attendees of the book launch on 21/11/2013 (for "Our Story") reported that a short clip of the dance was shown during the event. Then, some time ago, YouTube channel "Rare TVarchive" featured a 26 second excerpt in low quality (see subsequent post). So far, that's all that's been seen of the routine. But at least I can share a couple of pictures (you can find yet another picture on Doc's thread):

And this is the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC_Xsr3jFYg

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Doc
If you don't mind the most ridiculous You Tube logo ever then you'll find 26 seconds here plus a bit of Tie A Yellow Ribbon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2EMBhr5lYs

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
Thanks I just wanted to add that link myself. Seems I couldn't find it as it is blocked in Germany. It's better than nothing ... not much though

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
04/11/1971: Pan's People dance on Top of the Pops to "Run, Baby, Run (Back Into My Arms)" by the Newbeats. The song was originally released in 1965 (after the "Bread And Butter" single), when it made No. 12 on the US Hot 100, but didn't chart in the UK. A reissue in 1971 peaked at No. 10 in Britain, probably as a result of its popularity on the Northern Soul scene.

The dance is wiped, so here's just the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsWmWPXpyiQ

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
05/11/1970: New titles for Top of the Pops! Plus a new theme tune! Gone is Andrea Rutherford as the lone dancer, gone is the unknown instrumental, long live the theme with a name: "Whole Lotta Love"! Released on "Led Zeppelin II" in October 1969, the original version had been issued as a single in the US but not in the UK. Alexis Korner's "Collective Consciousness Society", perhaps better known as CCS, had recorded a mostly instrumental cover of the song which was relegated to the B-side of their first single release "Boom Boom" in September 1970.

Surprisingly, when the BBC decided they needed a new theme tune for TOTP, the choice came down to ... "Whole Lotta Love" by CCS! It should be noted though that technically the TOTP theme was not by CCS, but was recorded by the TOTP orchestra one morning before the day's rehearsals. Nevertheless, the band was conducted by John Cameron on that occasion and many of the musicians were CCS regulars. This enabled the production to tailor the tune to the correct duration and, more importantly, avoided the weekly payment of royalties to the record label (thanks wikipedia!).

It seems that the record company never officially switched the sides of the single in the UK, nevertheless from then on it was of course "Whole Lotta Love" that got all the airplay. The 45 had entered the charts the week before but was still hovering outside the Top 30 when Pan's People danced to the new TOTP theme tune on 05/11/1970. The following week WLL jumped from No. 32 to No. 18, arriving at a peak position of No. 13 a fortnight later.

Unfortunately the show (and the dance) is wiped, and I haven't even found any pictures. Here is the official CCS recording of "Whole Lotta Love":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9GS3SofhdU