The Pan's People Diary

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
06/11/1975: Pan's People dance on Top of the Pops to "Imagine" by John Lennon. Surprisingly this track was not originally released as a single in the UK, even though it went as high as No. 3 in the US in 1971. Only when the best of/greatest hits compilation "Shaved Fish" was issued in 1975, Apple Records pressed a British 45 with "Working Class Hero" on the flip, securing a No. 6 position in the charts.

The Pan's People dance was wiped by the BBC, but rescued by the Vicar. Sadly it's not publicly available. Nevertheless I can show you a picture (from Doc's thread):

If you care to dig a little deeper in our picture thread, there are one or two more images from this routine to be found.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
07/11/1968: Pan's People appear on "Beat, Beat, Beat" (German TV), a music show that was aired between 1966 and 1969. The episode of 07/11/1968 was hosted by Chris Denning (yeah that Chris Denning!) who could obviously speak German quite fluently. Featured artists included Vanity Fare, Vic Dana, The Showstoppers, Julie Felix, Jacques Dutronc, and The Flirtations. Pan's People performed backing dances for:

Vic Dana - The Name Of The Game Is Love
Jacques Dutronc - Le Plus Difficile
The Flirtations - How Can You Tell Me

As often on these shows, just three dancers were present: Babs, Louise & Ruth. The complete episode has survived.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
07/11/1974: Pan's People dance on Top of the Pops to "Then Came You" by Dionne Warwicke & The Detroit Spinners.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Willoway
Avidly read the updates each day, thanks VV.

As pointed out by Mikey in another thread, the early Pan's seem to have retained or acquired the distinctive zig zag skirts worn by the Beat Girls circa '66, I'm not sure if Ruth was still in the BG by the time they started wearing these skirts.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
Thanks Willoway. It's nice to receive a bit of positive feedback.

I thought it was interesting to see that the three girls in that "Beat Beat Beat" episode wore different dresses for each of the backing dances, even long trousers for the first one which seemed quite unusual.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Willoway wrote
I'm not sure if Ruth was still in the BG by the time they started wearing these skirts.
No she wasn't, the earliest i know of these being used was the photos at the covent garden dance centre in Sept '66. Once they parted ways with the beat girls they obviously kept these to be recognisable as the same dancers whilst still working in europe at the time, quite canny!. If you notice in the Tee Set performance (feb 67) Diane is wearing a similar but not the same version with vertical triangles instead of zig zags.

Anyone notice on Le Plus Difficile, Ruth nearly falls off the podium when her right leg actually steps off it (scary) but she recovers quickly (about 2.40 in the clip)

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
Mikey wrote
Anyone notice on Le Plus Difficile, Ruth nearly falls off the podium when her right leg actually steps off it (scary) but she recovers quickly (about 2.40 in the clip)
I must admit I never noticed that before even though it is actually quite obvious. Must be because I rarely watch these performances. A sigh of relief that her career didn't end so prematurely!

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Willoway
Only 5 dancers walked out of the beat girls to form pan's but there are 6 of these skirts in the Dave Dee Save Me video also Feb '67 so maybe the original of Diane's skirt got liberated in Dec'66 during the exodus.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Likewise VV I am truly enjoying these diary entries.  The nostalgia is lovely to read.  I remember the John Lennon dance televised and I still have the seven inch single to this and remember quite well having to play the b-side again as my parents heard that word and I didn't.  I still have the Shaved Fish album too.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Yeah probably, cheeky so and so's

In the late 60's its very much uniformity of outfits (probably because of cost) and I was thinking the other day (as you do) about who came up with the idea of the 'rainbow system' and then who decided on designated colours. Was this ever mentioned 'back in the day'?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
08/11/1970: Pan's People appear on the second edition of "London Aktuell" (ZDF Germany), a one hour programme dealing with "Stars, Fashion and Music" from London, presented by Margret Dünser. As musical guests, the show featured Herman's Hermits, Julie Felix, Dana & J. Vincent Edwards, all performing their songs on locations in and around London.

Pan's People danced to two tracks:

The first was "Vehicle" by The Ides Of March (#31 UK, #2 US). As for the location, this is what Doc found out about it last year: "It's just off Buckingham Palace Gardens. The pub, The Horse and Groom, was owned by Mann, Crossman and Paulin, a company that had merged with Watney Combe Reid in 1958 to create the reviled Watney Mann. It is now owned by the equally unpopular Shepherd Neame!" Doc has also posted a couple of photos which you can find here.

The second was "The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown)" by Fleetwood Mac (#10 UK). The first half of it was filmed at Stonehenge, providing one of the most impressive locations ever used for an outside routine.

For both performances, our five girls (sans Flick) were joined by male dancers John Melanie and Adrian Le Peltier.

The programme still exists in the ZDF archive. The routines are not publicly available though.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
08/11/1973: A missing week for Top of the Pops! The candidates:
- Mud - Dyna-mite
- Paul McCartney & Wings - Helen Wheels
- Ringo Starr - Photograph

Pan's People also appeared on "The Two Ronnies" that day, performing "Johnny B. Goode" by James Burton.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

mojo2007
We were there for the summer solstice the previous year. I'd have  waited to see to see this dance. It is amazing what treasure still appears.   Thank you for posting the pictures.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
09/11/1969: Pan's People appear on the first edition of "London Aktuell" (see 08/11/1970). Musical guests were Sandie Shaw, Barry Ryan, Roger Whittaker, Eyes Of Blue, Esther Ofarim, and Ten Years After.

(The F is short for "Farbe", highlighting that this was a programme in colour which wasn't quite the norm in 1969!)

Pan's People danced to two tracks:

The first was "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (#1 UK). This routine featured just the six girls without male assistance. I think it's fair to assume that the dance was similar to the TOTP appearance on 02/10/1969.

The second was "Cool Jerk" by The Capitols (did not chart in the UK). A bit of a strange choice of music as this record had been released three years earlier in 1966, reaching #7 in the US Hot 100. Here the girls were joined by Adrian Le Peltier and Gary Downie.

The programme still exists in the ZDF archive. However, the routines are not publicly available.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
09/11/1972: A missing week with possibly no Pan's People routine. Performances marked as "Disc" were:
- Chris Montez - Let's Dance (danced to on 02/11/1972)
- Shag (a.k.a. Jonathan King) - Loop Di Love (when asked about it, Dee Dee said "No")
- Jeff Beck - Hi Ho Silver Lining

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Do you happen to know the recording date for these?, it seems like Flick was absent (or at least not performing on camera) the last 3 months of 1970 and this could fall in that period.

I'm surprised to see Stonehenge so brown too.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

VintageVideos
Mikey wrote
Do you happen to know the recording date for these?
Sorry Mikey, I have no idea.

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Willoway
Mikey wrote
I'm surprised to see Stonehenge so brown too.
Stonehenge was only roped off in 1977, prior to that you were free to walk up to and in it. It was already a huge tourist attraction and consequently as well as being damaged by souvenir hunters and vandals, all the grass died under the vast number of feet.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: The Pan's People Diary

PattiforPM
I think the brownness is just a light thing.  The shadows are reasonably long and there's a sandy/muddy ground surface as Willoway notes.  The stones were always grey when I was there

Re: The Pan's People Diary

Mikey
Yes you're right about the shadows, must have been late afternoon they were given permission to film. Thanks for the info about the fence Willoway, that explains the lack of grass at the time. Amazing how gentrified everything is since 1970, even ancient ruins.

I've played around with google maps and seem to find the right angle where Ruth is stood on the stone, the one on the right.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Stonehenge/@51.1787179,-1.8260192,3a,90y,337.36h,84.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2RimyJCPSxvFiDcE_oltNQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x4873e63b850af611:0x979170e2bcd3d2dd!8m2!3d51.178882!4d-1.826215!6m1!1e1