The Pan's People & Cherry Recordings

We have discussed the Pan's People single releases before, but the information is spread over so many different threads that I thought it might be a good idea to gather everything we know in one place. This post will now contain a listing of all three Pan's People singles (well, 3 ½ really) in all known versions completed with images, plus two solo singles by Cherry. Any comments/additions welcome!

The Pan's People Recordings:
1. You Can Really Rock And Roll Me - Epic S EPC 2606 (UK), EPC 2606 (Por, Ger)
Date of release: 09/08/1974 (UK)
Did not chart
A: You Can Really Rock And Roll Me (Mike Batt) 2:57  Listen
B: The Singer Not The Song (M. Jagger/K. Richards) 2:51  Listen

The A-side was arranged & produced by Mike Batt, the B-side arranged & conducted by Mike Batt. The single has become a collectors item among Stones fans because of its B-side.

Even though Dee Dee claims in "Our Story" (p. 168) that "the song did enter the charts", it never actually made the official Top 50.

Four different versions of this single are known to exist:

1. The UK version in a standard company sleeve:
Both solid center and four prong push out center versions are available. The UK release is quite easy to find. Beware though that some sellers are nevertheless trying to sell these records for ridiculous prices. Here are a couple of images for this release:

Solid center

Push out center

2. The Portuguese version in a picture sleeve:
This release has a large center hole. It is quite rare, but offered occasionally on ebay and other platforms. Be prepared to pay collectors prices for a good copy. Here are a few scans from my own collection:

3. The German promo release ("CBS-Blitzinfo"):
This single comes with the usual large center hole which is common for German 45's. The cover gives some info about Pan's People and the release itself. This item is offered occasionally and also sells for collectors prices.
Here are a couple of updated scans as I was lucky to catch a rare copy on ebay in near mint condition:

4. The regular German version in a picture cover:
This is the most wanted version. It is rarely offered, and typically sells for app. £35.
Here is an updated scan from my own collection:

2. He's Got Magic - Epic S EPC 3339
Date of release: 30/05/1975 (UK)
Did not chart
A: He's Got Magic (K. Young) 3:14  Listen
B: Sooner Or Later (N. Graham) 2:33  Listen

Both sides produced & arranged by Nicky Graham.

The A-side was originally recorded by the group Fox for their self-titled 1975 album. It was also released as a single (after Pan's People's version flopped), but did not chart in the UK.

Only the UK version of this single is known to exist. It comes with a standard company sleeve. It is offered occasionally for acceptable prices (below £10). Here are two scans from my collection:

3. Club Lido - GM GMS 9052
This is obviously a recording by Dee Dee Wilde's Pan's People (or Pan's People Mk 2).
Date of release: 08/1979
Did not chart
A: Club Lido (Mitchell, Coe)  Listen
B: Club Lido (Instrumental) (Mitchell, Coe)  Listen

Both sides produced by Bob Mitchell & Steve Coe.

Only the UK version is known to exist. It comes with a standard company sleeve. This single is regularly offered, but at ridiculous prices (up to £40). Here are two images:

4. Magic Man / Club Lido - RTC RTS 706
Date of release: 1979
Did not chart
A: Boulevard - Magic Man (Mitchell, Coe)
B: Pan's People - Club Lido (Mitchell, Coe)

This is an unusual release from New Zealand which pairs two tracks written by Bob Mitchell & Steve Coe. The artist is credited as "Magic" on both sides. It is extremely rare. Here are two images:

The Cherry Gillespie Recordings:
1. Here Comes The Band - Private Stock PVT 88
Date of release: 04/02/1977
Did not chart
A: Here Comes The Band (Junior Campbell) 3:08  Listen
B: Don't You Know (Mindel/Glen) 3:41  Listen

Both sides produced by David Mindel. Junior Campbell used to be a member of the band "Marmalade" before he went solo in 1971. "Here Comes The Band" had been released as a JC solo single in September 1976 but without success.

Only two versions of this single are known to exist:

1. The UK version in a standard company sleeve. It comes with a four prong push out center:

2. The UK promo version which looks very similar to the standard version but has a "Promo Copy" stamp on the label.

Original copies included this colour poster advertising Cherry's 'debut single on Private Stock Records':

2. Why - BBC Records RESL 156
Date of release: August 1984
Did not chart
A: Why? (Mindel/Parker) 2:33  Listen
B: To Dance (Mindel) 2:52  Listen

"From The BBC TV Series 'The Hot Shoe Show'".

Both sides produced by David Mindel. The track on side B was originally released in 1983 on the album "The Hot Shoe Show".

Only the UK version is known to exist. It has a solid center and is housed in a picture sleeve:

3. The Hot Shoe Show (Album) - BBC Records REB 476
Date of release: 1983
The album includes two tracks by Cherry:
Track 1 on side A: To Dance (see above)
Track 5 on side B: Dreams (Mindel) - credited to Cherry Gillespie Featuring Steve Donnelly - 5:55  Listen

Both Cherry singles and the album by courtesy of Andeebee.

Thanks also to the discogs database and the 45cat site.
Respect the seven second delay we use

Re: The Pan's People Recordings

Who's That Hurll
Well done for collating this comprehensive catalogue of releases. Perhaps now it could be moved into one of our archive/list sections for future reference?

Re: The Pan's People Recordings

VintageVideos
Thanks Mr Hurll, that might be a good idea.

By the way, The Portuguese single version of YCRR&RM is currently offered for sale on discogs:
http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/211105431
Looking at the price, this is a steal, so if you want to add it to your collection, this may be your chance!
Respect the seven second delay we use

Re: The Pan's People Recordings

katy
Hi Vintage Vids its Katy. I have a 45 vinyl by Cherry Gillespie. I cant tell which side is side A or side B but the songs are called Here Comes The Band and the other side is called Don't You Know. Its a promo copy i found in a record shop in Islington for 25p and its not in great condition. Its on Private Stock records a record label i have never seen before and the year is 1977 and it has an Appollo Records stamp on it. I will try and get a decent photo and upload it to the blog. The songs are similar to the Pans People records in style. I dont know if it had a proper sleeve  but my copy is just in a plain sleve not the original.
I will try and get that photo up soon unless someone has a better image of the record.

Hi katy, thanks for your contribution. As it happens, just yesterday I received a copy of that record from Andee which is in a quite good condition. The copy I have doesn't seem to be a promo (at least there's no mention of it), and it's housed in a company sleeve.

katy
cool glad you got your record. The copy i have has candle wax on it or something i don't know what some people do to records so that they get in the state that they do!

I've added the two Cherry singles to the first post (including a nice poster!).
Respect the seven second delay we use

Re: The Pan's People Recordings

Suefan
Thanks for the very nice poster Vin, although it looks like its going to be a squeeze getting everyone into that taxi !

Re: The Pan's People Recordings

AC/PD
Lovely poster containing a couple of Bogart lookalikes and very thorough details throughout, Vin.
The artwork on the Epic label look similar to BASF.

Re: The Pan's People Recordings

VintageVideos
Pauline's Dimples wrote
containing a couple of Bogart lookalikes
Makes you wonder about the actual target audience for this release though.
Respect the seven second delay we use

Re: The Pan's People Recordings

Andeebee
sorry I couldn't scan the poster bigger, as the thing is huge....but you get the jist

As I already mentioned to you, the poster is the best thing about the record (even if it is a bit cheesy).
Respect the seven second delay we use

Re: The Pan's People Recordings

Andeebee
the record is dire in my opinion.

Yeah I'm afraid it is.
Respect the seven second delay we use

Re: The Pan's People Recordings

The record company should have said there was a free poster on the sleeve and it might have sold a few more copies.
They could also have used that picture for the sleeve instead of the boring plain one.

Re: The Pan's People Recordings

Andeebee
the poster (and 7") was a promo only given to shops to promote the single, it wasn't available over the counter.

Re: The Pan's People Recordings

Andeebee
Yes cringe away at both the Cherry recordings all 4 tracks are now up on DM, for your audio pleasure.

I think there maybe an extra track on the BBC LP that Why came from - a duet called 'Dreams'...

Re: The Pan's People Recordings

VintageVideos
Andeebee wrote
I think there maybe an extra track on the BBC LP that Why came from - a duet called 'Dreams'...
Yep... that one is still on my to-do list!
Respect the seven second delay we use

Re: The Pan's People Recordings

VintageVideos wrote
As I already mentioned to you, the poster is the best thing about the record (even if it is a bit cheesy).

On reflection, they are dire, but not as bad as some stuff I have heard, good production thou, glad there wasn't an LP