The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

Floid Fan
This post was updated on .
Been browsing PP.com and looks like on there has been a possible development re: confirming the identity of the Ruby Flipper routines on the wiped 1st July TOTP edition.
A forum member over there called Cornershop has scanned the TV page for that evening from a little known paper called the Evening Times. And in this listing for that night's TOTP, they have the full line up and specifically state 'Ruby Flipper dance to One Hundred Ton and a Feather and Dr Hook'  But They don't mention them dancing to the Shangri Las and indeed the Shangri Las are not even listed on that TOTP edition in this newspaper. So perhaps RF never did dance to 'Leader of The Pack' after all, or there could be a chance, I suppose that the newspaper listing is wrong/incomplete.
As Ryan's mate Panfan, I think points out, if this One Hundred Ton and a Feather routine is true on July 1st, then it's got to be a different routine to the part-solo one Lulu did a few weeks later in her Russian Peasant dress, for reasons we've discussed.
Carl

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

I guess weve got to go with the newspaper cutting. Lets face it, its the best lead yet on the mystery of 1st July. I still find if very odd though how RF or single members of RF danced to two seperate dances of the same song. `Leader Of The Pack` would be the ideal song for RF to dance to though wouldnt it and all sorts of images to that song/dance still fill my head.

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

Floid Fan
Well, quite. And didn't one of our irregular forum posters mention he had an office friend who recalled seeing the 'Leader of the Pack' routine with the girls taking it in turns to sit on a motorbike. Or was this mis-remembering/false memories/wishful thinking?
Carl

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

Yes im seem to recall something of that nature. So what are you saying Carl, theres still some doubt then ?

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

I seem to remember `Leader Of The Pack` having a cartoon promotional film to it. So that also makes it less likely that RF would have danced to it.

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

Floid Fan
Well, as you say,the newspaper lead is the best we have. What we need, I suppose, is a different newspaper or magazine listing that says exactly the same thing to corroborate it. Perhaps the fact that the Shangri-Las are not mentioned AT ALL on that listing, makes an even stronger case that RF couldn't possibly have danced to it.
There is a tiny chance, perhaps clutching at straws, that the TV listing wasn't complete for one reason or another. But sounds a bit unlikely. If I was a real saddo and had the time, I would probably look at the running time of that TOTP edition, try to find all the tunes on youtube and try to work out if there was a sufficient gap timewise for another song apart from those on that TV listing....... but sounds too much like hard work!
Carl

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

Floid Fan
Well if there was a cartoon promotional film, guess they wouldn't need RF. But you're right. It would have been a great song to see Ruby Flipper doing a routine to.

We still have the mystery of that early Sept wiped show, where according to the Popscene listing RF do not dance at all. Now, there's an idea. If someone is friendly with Cornershop, perhaps they can ask him if he can get hold of that September edition's TV listing, so that could also be solved
Carl

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

PattiforPM
Well Cornershop is a good egg and ace detective IMO but it may not be the ideal day to ask PP.com regulars for favours

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

You may notice when looking at some TV listings guides today with their programme synopses of TOTPs on BBC Four, where they list the acts appearing in that particular episode, they don't list the act that Legs & Co. are dancing to, they often just say 'dance sequence by Legs & Co.' For example, this week they probably won't be listing Bryan Ferry as an act appearing because it's just Legs & Co. dancing toTokyo Joe, the point I'm making is that Cornershop15'snewpaper listings could indeed be incomplete to save space on the page, & the reference to Ruby Flipper could just be referring to their dance routine for Leader Of The Pack on their own, if the other two acts that they danced to are listed then that suggests to me that RF danced alongside those acts as they performed on stage!

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

Floid Fan
Actually looking again at one of the links to Cornershop's TOTP newspaper listings, I can see that he did already list the Evening News' list for the 2nd September 1976s TOTP, and the listing would tentatively seem to corroborate what Popscene have been telling us- i.e. Ruby Flipper did not dance on the 2nd sept- so perhaps the whole troupe had a well-deserved break that week.
Only visiting PP.Com very rarely, I've missed the boat on this topic, as I see some of you Dads have been posting comments over the last few days on there about Cornershop's findings.
It would have been good to have passed on this info on our own forum, but from the vibes I seem to be picking up, something must have kicked off between PP.Com and OFTD members and cross-posting news and links seems a sensitive topic.
Carl

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

cornershop has found the newpaper reviews for sept carl ,and there is no mention of ruby flipper on the missing totp episodes ,infact a couple of acts of the line up for the show is different ,for instance i think the wombles were listed on the 2/9/76 edition ,and reading recentley on popscene someone said they remembered a wombles apperance from a totp show in 76 ,but couldent find it on the databases ,but like ive said before the info that is printed in the paper most likely is the correct info as the show would have been recorded the night before ,and the paper no doubt got its info from the correct source ,a little bit more would have definitley not been a backing dance ,i dont think dr hook ever made it to the totp studios ,and ive read somewhere that someone else remembers another it only takes a minute routine done with 2 members of ruby flipper

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

Generally I think it's fine to cross-pollinate with PP.com FF and I have reported stuff from PP.com several times and tried to credit whoever found the items and I think linking is usually fine too.  We're both seeking the same goal after all as we've said before.  I know SueFan and others have also quoted OFTDs over on PP.com and i would be happy to do the same if the opportunity arises.  I'm not denying friction has ever happened just saying there is also synergy

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

JEZ
carl ,me and mr p did a post on the leader of the pack etc routine info that has been found ,we posted it on the topic page ,search for 1st july ,pheraps youve missed reading it mate ,cheers

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

Floid Fan
On one of my very rare window shopping excursions to the Pan's People site forum, I see that someone called AlexMitch recalls with great certainty that the first version of 'It Only takes a Minute' (i.e. non Lulu solo) was a Sue and Floyd duet. He also says that 'A Little Bit More' was a girls only dance and also seems to recall 'Doina de Jale' being definitely danced to. Think he said something about Cherry being on her knees and stretching her hand up to the sky. He does admit though, that this is based entirely on his memory.
I recall someone else on here had a colleague who seemed to remember 'Leader of the Pack' being danced to with the girls hopping on and off a motorbike but then this was seemingly disproved by the surfacing of a newspaper schedule for that TOTP edition which demonstrated 'Leader of the Pack' was not danced to at all.
So, I wonder if AlexMitch has succesfully pinpointed the dance combos or if this is a false memory.
Carl

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

Alex Mitch is also a member of this site Carl. It would be useful if he would post on this thread to give us a further insight into his knowledge of 1976. He does seem to be one of the few folks who can clearly remember that summer on TOTPs.

Oh, I didn't know he is also a member on here. Did he post at all? Looks like Sue might have done a duet with both Floid and Phil then.  Only Cherry prevented her from doing the triple, and having the pleasure of being swung around by Gavin in Young Hearts!!
Carl

Just wanted to put in a plug for Alex, as I have read some of his posts on PP.com too and I believe his memory of routines is better than almost anyones and I know SueFan and Jez have had some interesting conversations with him about Pans People routines not recalled by others.  I would bet that his Ruby memories are accurate too, even though we're all human of course

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

Floid Fan
So, if AlexMitch remembers correctly, then it means Sue did not do any solo routine for Ruby Flipper. But she might well have done two duets.
Carl

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

Im more confused than ever over these missing RF routines. Am i right in thinking these are the supposed routines.

01/07/77
Leader Of The Pack.
A Little Bit More
It Only Takes A Minute Girl( not the Lulu version)

12/08/76
Afternoon Delight
You Should Be Dancing (Is the dance on the 26/8 a repeat of this ?)

02/09/76
Loving On The Losing Side (This has been suggested)

16/09/76
Doina De Jale

If any of these seem correct, what have we learnt along the way, which of these are duets for example ?

Re: The Ruby Flipper Missing Routines Update July 1st 76

Floid Fan
This post was updated on .
Hi Ryan,
based on the newpaper TV schedule evidence for 1st July 1976, as unearthed by Cornershop of Pans.People.com, we are saying that Ruby Flipper did not dance at all to 'Leader of the Pack' .  So this song should be removed from the RF database. AlexMitch's memory tells us that the 'It Only Takes a Minute Girl' routine of 1st July is a Sue/Floyd duet. And there is further plausible evidence that there were in fact two different Flipper routines for 'It Only' if we go by Noel Edmond's comment before the second (Lulu) 'It Only Takes a Minute, where he says about Jonathan King: 'The Identity of that Particular Outfit is about to be revealed', confirming JK was not previously on TOTP with this song! It makes perfect sense now.  The first 'It Only' in light of Noel Edmonds' comment, clearly did not feature Mr King on TOTP.  It must have featured   just the dancers only, and would also help explain why they did a different version later- JK was in the studio this latter time, so they decided just to put Lulu in shot for a part-solo with him.
AlexMitch also has suggested that the 'A Little Bit More' routine is a 'girls' only' routine. Interestingly, this would indicate that Phil and Gavin had the week off for 1st July.

Moving on to the 12th of August, it has been suggested by Sue in consultation with Phil, that they both took part in a duet for 'Afternoon Delight.'
The  performance of 'You Should be Dancing' shown on this date was almost certainly repeated on the 26th. How do we know for definite? The evidence is Floyd's hair.  If you watch the Ruby Flipper dances on the 26th of August edition you will see that for three of the four RF dance routines in this show, Floyd's hair has it's normal black colour. It is only in the 'You Should Be Dancing routine that it has that stars and stripes dyed pattern. it would be very odd for him to have radically different hair for a single routine on the same show. We know it had that pattern the previous week as in the 'Let em In' performance. Thus, it is probable that his hair was dyed that way for two weeks: the 12th and 19th of August. And thus the 26th Aug 'You Should...' is a repeat.

As for Sept 1st, if Jez was following his own rules for these things, there is no way we can list 'Loving on the Losing Side' as being performed by Ruby Flipper. There is no evidence and just speculation.

For the 16th of Sept, AlexMirch has said he definitely remembers that Ruby Flipper  danced to 'Doina de Jale'' .
Hope that brings us up to date with what we think is the current situation about the missing Ruby Flipper routines, which still currently stands at 4:
A Little Bit More
It Only Takes a Minute
Afternoon Delight
Doina de Jale