The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

Name Date Of Birth Debut Age then
Jimmy Savile 31st Oct 1926 (d-2011) 1st Jan 1964 37
Pete Murray 19th Sept 1925 15th Jan 1964 38
Stuart Henry 24th Feb 1942 (d-1995) 26th Oct 1967 25
Alan Freeman 6th July 1927 (d-2006) 1st Jan 1964 36
Tony Blackburn 29th Jan 1943 19th Oct 1967 24
Ed Stewart 23rd April 1941 (d-2016) 25th Jan 1968 26
Noel Edmonds 22nd Dec 1948 20th July 1972 23
Kenny Everett 25th Dec 1944 (d-1995) 2nd Nov 1967 26
Dave Lee Travis 25th May 1945 8th Nov 1973 28
Johnny Walker 30th March 1945 10th Jan 1974 28
Emperor Rosko 26th Dec 1942 16th Nov 1967 26
Greg Edwards 24th Dec 1947 7th March 1974 26
Paul Burnett 26th Nov 1943 30th May 1974 30
David Hamilton 10th Sept 1938 22nd Jan 1976 37
David Jensen 4th July 1950 18th Nov 1976 26
Peter Powell 24th March 1951 3rd Nov 1977 26
Mike Read 1st March 1947 9th Nov 1978 31
Andy Peebles 13th Dec 1948 11th Oct 1979 30
Simon Bates 17th Dec 1947 6th Dec 1979 31
Steve Wright 26th Aug 1954 7th Feb 1980 25
Tommy Vance 11th July 1941 (d-2005) 1st May 1980 38
Richard Skinner 26th December 1951 11th Sept 1980 28

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

Suefan
Excellent table Ryan.  Everyone on it appears to be older than me !

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

JEZ
according to one website info about capitol gold ,greg edwards was born 24th december 1947 ryan

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

bucksby
John Peel should be on there 1939-2004. debut 1-2-68

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

Ive excluded JP because he was before Pans Peoples debut on the show. I guess i should have pointed out that the list is Pans debut till Legs demise on TOTPs.

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

Thanks Jez, will edit Greg Edwards birthday in.

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

Before Pan's People, we had the Gojos. Just a thought.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

I dont do GoJos, i have no interest in them at all.

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

Its hard enough getting fired up for early Pans

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

JEZ
No ryan ,i wouldent expect you to include the gojos in this section ,with little info on exactly what other songs they actually danced to ,would make it very difficult of a task ,but i must say about my interest in the gojos work ,when i had my first totp annual back in 1974 ,i then realised that there must have been another lot of dancers on totp besides pans people ,i was then even at the age of 8 or 9 intergued on what their names were and what they might have danced to ,in those days i thought they must have been on the show every week right from the begining ,anyway there was no way of finding out any more info ,until one saturday morning and i was watching swap shop ,and some viewer had requested for her mum ,that could they show some old clips of totp from when her mum was a teenager watching the show ,and in amazement for me came the clip of the gojos along with long john baldry from boxing day 67 show ,so i then caught a glimpse of the girls and knew one of the songs they danced to ,then along came years later babs talkin about the gojos in 1994 in their documentary ,followed by another doc where i actually got to see jo cook and linda hotchkin on totp true story ,next i wrote to totp2 to ask if they could possibly show the gojos full clip ,of reflections it hadnt been seen in full since broadcast in 67 ,and to give totp2 credit they did show it , then came the internet and listings of some of the songs they performed to ,and finally a couple of years ago the chance of a lifetime linda and jo both gave interviews ,giving details of their carreer ,followed up by a radio interview ,so what started off for me nearly 40 years ago ,as just reading an annual ,and seeing a black and white photo ,with just a mention of the group gojos,and me thinking id like to find out more about those ladies ,well its took nearly 40 years ,but my interest in the dancers  finally came to fruition,anyway hope you dont mind me posting this on your thread ryan ,but i thought id just share why i had an interest in the gojos

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

LOL, of course i dont mind and i found your thoughts very interesting. For me with hardly any footage of those days, i just dont see the point of educating my mind on the early dance troupe/s. But im glad yourself and other dance historians are finding out details and good luck to you. I will stick with stuff im interested in, basically 74-81.

Fair point Ryan, it is a shame John never had the chance to introduce pans people.

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

JEZ
yes i totally agree ryan ,that with no footage of the gojos it does make it hard ,but then again it adds to the excitement of finding out fresh info about songs and facts ,one for the dads tries to cover all info on totp dancers ,and with each fresh bit of info regarding songs that pans or gojos from wiped shows comes to light ,is an achievement ,there is no other place than oftds or pp.com where you can go and find out what the dancers actually performed to each week ,as we try to keep the databases as accurate as possible,and for those who watched totp in the 60s and do remember the gojos ,its good to include their work ,and i know the surviving members of the gojos were thrilled and pleased that us public had taken an interest in the group ,and their name hadnt been forgotten

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

I agree Bucksby although with Mr Peel's famous sarcasm I would have been a bit nervous about his intros.  As for the GoJos I like to think of Jez as the Mother Teresa of Dance Fans.  He is a great advocate for the under-appreciated Troupes

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

At least we do have a Go-jo's performance on TOTPs from the '60s, which is more than can be said for Pans's People, where we only have '70s TOTPs appearances from them, since, I think that only two full '60s TOTPs episodes remain available to be watched, & neither features PP, one happens to have the Reflections routine from the Go-jo's, & I'm assuming that the other episode only has 'audience dancing', as I believe that the Go-jo's only appeared some weeks during their TOTPs era.

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

JEZ
yes pbp ,at least we have one good performance left of the gojos ,and yes they were only on the show every now and again ,although as well as doing the occasional totp ,they also were busy at the same time recording ,discs a go go ,thank your lucky stars and val doonican show ,anyway i better get off ryans dj thread else he wiill be calling it the gojos thread ,and mr p ,ive only just started on those underated tv dance troupes ,theres lots more to come from me ,the feet ,zigzag ,him and us ,tsd,s and lipstick to name a few lol

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

Jez, you can waffle on on this thread if you like, looking forward to more dance troupes talk (Hopefully theres footage of them).

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

BeautifulBabs
not the roly polys tho pls Jez

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

JEZ
no i was not really in to the roly polys ,although i suppose they did appeal to some folk ,but i shall be more than happy to research some info on the girls of the roly polys if u want me to bb

Re: The Top Of The Pops Presenters (from 68-81)

Jez can i ask you to fill the vacant position of `Head of research into lesser known and obscure dance troupes`. Its been ages since we discussed them, i certainly do not have a downer on any of the dance troupes from the 70s were footage still survives.