Quantcast

The current chart. Shared between two!

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
No, because if you buy a download or CD it only counts once!
I've been using iTunes for at least 10 years and my most played song is at 73, still not enough to register 1 sale. (OK some of the devices I use don't increase the count but even so I doubt that anything would exceed 100).
In general someone streaming an album wouldn't register, but when a million or so people do it shows up.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
Perhaps the songs you play on your Ipod and other media devices should count. But I would expect that people would object to the invasion of their privacy, plus it would probably be quite easy to fiddle the counts.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Old Grey Whistler
I suppose the other thing that is different nowadays is that there is no such thing as an album track. I assume every song is available to buy as a single. In the days before streaming, only three or four songs would be released as a single from any album so it would have been impossible to have 16 out of the top 20.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
It's quite probable that albums as we know them will cease to exist in the near future. Streaming sites already get more requests for playlists than albums.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Legsfan
I was looking at the vinyl singles chart and last week David Bowie was at number one with Sound and Vision because they re-released it on 7" vinyl picture disc. I think it has dropped to number three. It was number one for three weeks.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc wrote
Well as Dancer has already alluded to, we probably have the most remarkable chart ever!

This screen shot says it all!

...and I remember the excitement at the time when there were three singles from the album "Saturday Night Fever" in the charts at the same time..... Happy Days

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
An interesting problem for the record companies, they can no longer drip feed singles off an album when they all go into the chart on the same day.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
Another fact: Ed Sheeran's album may have combined sales of 672000 in the first week, but it's not the best. Two sold even more in their first week, they were:
Adele - 25 = 800000 sales.
Oasis - Be Here Now = 696000 sales.
Both of these achieved those sales before streaming was counted, no doubt Adele would have smashed the chart in the same way had the current format been in use then.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Dancer
and I remember been elated when Donna Summer had two records in the Top 10 in January 1978.  Remember the Saturday Night Fever domination too.

I have just listened to Radio 1 for the first time tonight and heard their Top 10 most played chart which was good.  A good mixture of songs there.  Really like James Arthur's voice, Katy Perry's single and of course the Ed Sheeran track from Divide.  I am still going with my original suggestion that the charts statistically need to emulate Billboard i.e. Sales and airplay and I get the distinct feeling that is how they will be in the near future.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

PattiForPM
I think at least as bad is when the same song performed by a variety of different singers dominates the charts, like Hallelujah did a few years ago.  This also seemed to be a bit of a phenomenon of the early charts if memory serves.  It's also one of the few things about the Blues which frustrates me; I'm darned if you can figure out whose song many of these Blues Classics are and I really like to associate songs with a  particular Artist

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
Ed's broken another barrier, Absolute Radio played one of his new songs and they almost never play new stuff!

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc wrote
Old Grey Whistler wrote
but each time I listened to it didn't count as another sale.
It doesn't. It counts as 1/100th of a sale.
(I think it should probably be downgraded to 1/250th of sale).
They've recently changed the formula as the amount of streaming has grown exponentially. It now take 150 streams to count as a sale. Spotify and Apple Music have reported huge numbers of new subscribers.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
After 16 years away there is a distinct possibility that Steps may get into the top 10 (Ed Sheeran willing!).

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
Guess who's No.1 on the US Billboard Hot 100 this week?
Yep, Ed Sheeran with Shape of You! (It's 7th week).

They certainly have excellent taste across the pond then.  That is a fantastic track, likewise video.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Old Grey Whistler
There is an article on the current chart debacle which covers a lot of the points that have been debated on here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39265093

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
That's where I saw the change from 100 to 150 streams. I don't think option 5 would be that popular with the kids.
With CD sales declining I think that a slow release of albums may be the way forward. Release the best 4 or 5 as singles over several months before the rest of it. Then have an option to complete the album at a reduced cost if you already own some of the tracks (ITunes already has a complete my album option).

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
A bad week for Ed Sheeran, only 12 songs in the top 20 this week. Other than that no real change.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
I'm going to have a go at a prediction, I think this will be the highest new entry on Friday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aatr_2MstrI

Will I be a Tony Blackburn or a Kid Jensen?

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
I might be in danger of being Tony as I've just read that rapper Drake, who's very popular with the kids, has released a playlist of songs that are being heavily streamed this week. Friday could provide another unusual chart. He currently has the top 22 streamed songs on the US Spotify site.