The current chart and music of the 21st Century.

The current chart and music of the 21st Century.

Bah, it's all rubbish. They should have stopped making music in 1981!
For proof here's some of the stuff that the rotten kids have bought.

Current No.1
In it's 3rd week at the top
Lukas Graham - 7 Years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHCob76kigA

Why did anyone buy that, give me Gracie Fields any day!
Well I didn't think that I would ever have said that a song by this artist is noteworthy, but when a record that has been on the charts for 15 weeks with the following chart positions 3,2,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,2,2,5,6,7,5 there must be something going for it. The video features some good choreography and is worth watching.
Justin Bieber - Love Yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyEuk8j8imI

It was No.1 this century so it must be awful!

From the year when all but one record went straight to Number 1 and in general only spent 1 week there we have the first new No.1 of the 2000's. After it's fleeting flitation with the top spot it plummeted out almost as quickly and was gone after 7 weeks.
16th January 2000
Manic Street Preachers - The Masses Against The Classes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-S-YSEpso

Right that's enough of that awful noise for this week.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
Not sure if I heard the Manic's track when it got to No.1, it's not their most memorable track.
The current No.1 certainly sound different from the normal style of most records in the chart.
The Bieber song is annoyingly catchy and has a clever video.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Old Bill
16th January 2000 wasn't this century, that was still the 20th century back then - the 21st C began 1/1/01  - that's on the advice of a grumpy old git.
The Manics didn't need to worry about leaving the 20th century for a whole poptastic year yet. Just as well as they would have had Bob the Builder's 3-week stint at the top to contend with. Who could tolerate that??
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
Quite true, but most people ignore that fact including the Old Gits. Maybe it would be better to say the first hit of the naughties!

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Sorry Doc, but i think this old git will stick with the music from when i was a younger git.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc

I don't believe it, the number one is the same old rubbish as last week. So instead I'm going to inflict some of the drivel that hit the top spot around this time in previous years on you.

04/03/2012

Somebody I Used To Know - Gotye ft Kimbra
Gotye (pronounced go-tee-ay) is a Belgium-Australian singer who shocked everyone including himself when he had a big no.1 with this 'after break up' song. Joining him is Kimbra, a singer from New Zealand. He has, so far, gone on to be a classic one hit wonder. The video uses  a similar body painting theme to that used by Visage in Fade To Grey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY

23/02/2003

All The Things She Said - t.A.T.u.
If you believe the newspaper hype, Tatu were a couple of Russian lesbians, something they did nothing to dispel in the video for this song. Such are the methods used to sell songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mGBaXPlri8

25/02/1996

Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis
If you don't know who Oasis are, then where have you been hiding for the last 20 years. This is one of their classic No.1s. The video features the late Patrick Macnee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8OipmKFDeM

Right that's enough of that I'm off to listen to some Peters and Lee.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Mikey
If i may Doc....

01/03/1998 Madonna - Frozen

I distinctly remember hearing this played on the PA at Virgin Megastore (remember them!) before its release and thinking 'wow whos that', and yep its madge going all ethereal thanks to William Orbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS088Opj9o0

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
I was never quite sure what they meant when she morphed into a dog.
Of course this would have been a lot better if it had been released in the 70s. Bah!

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Mikey
lol, dont diss the queen of pop

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

AC/PD
Are we still talking about Tina Charles?

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Old Bill
Isn't she the queen of bottles of pop?
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

PattiForPM
Trying to think of an adjustment to the title of the Thread to include this discussion ......

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Old Bill
Maybe just move it to a more relevant forum?
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc

No quality 70's music to be discussed here. The TC discussion is slightly oddly in the Latin Hustle thread,

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Good song All The Things She Said. Produced by Trevor Horn, which helps a grumpy old git. I seem to remember the last I heard one of those 'lesbians' was pregnant. Don't Look Back In Anger is one of the best songs of the Brit-pop era but I prefer to watch and listen to t.A.T.u

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc

What a liberty! It's that young whippersnapper Lucas Graham at No.1 for the 5th week, Go and get a proper job young lad!
Because of this I'm going back in time again. This time last year there was a record in the chart by Irish musician Andrew Hozier-Byrne, otherwise known by his stage name of Hozier. His song Take Me To Church failed to get to No.1 spending 3 weeks at No.2, it did the same in the States. It was however the most streamed song on Spotify (whatever that is) and was nominated at the Grammys for song of the year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVjiKRfKpPI

Well that's wasn't Brotherhood of Man was it! The next song is another dismal failure from March 2008, spending 2 weeks at No.2. However any video that sings about Playboy bunnies and drugs can't be all bad. How many celebs in the video can you name?
Nickelback - Rockstar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeUuoxyt_E

A year before this and on it's way down from a paltry week at the top was the Kaiser Chiefs. Now what's the name of the girl again? Not many bands get a city built around them whilst singing their song.
Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qObzgUfCl28

None of them were up there with The Dooleys were they.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Well back when music was good the charts were announced at 1300 on a Tuesday, now it's all rubbish we have to wait until 1745 on a Friday. What sort of time is that!
So as nothing has been announced, we can travel back to 1998 where after 6 No.1's in a row The Spice Girls were expected to jump straight to the top with their new single Stop.

However as Midge Ure will agree things do not always go to plan and they were kept off the top by this surprise hit which went on to sell 1.25 million copies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLGWQfK-6DY

Oh OK here's the Spice Girls song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JD6ejmlpa8
Irritating and catchy all in one, bring back Manhattan Transfer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdS9cDkyjcw).

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
Well there's finally a new No.1, Mike Posner - I Took A Pill In Ibiza overhauled last weeks chart topper by the smallest of margins just 262 sales. It's not the closest known race for the top, this was in 2007 when Timbaland and Keri Hilson beat Kate Nash to the top spot by a mere 16 sales!
http://youtu.be/foE1mO2yM04

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

18th March 1990

Beats International - Dub Be Good To Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnELifX3sQ

Very melancholy Clash sampling tune, and cover of the S.O.S Band

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Oh my god. This Old Git actually liked that song. Lindy Layton helped me form that viewpoint though.