The current chart and music of the 21st Century.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
Close, it was the same years as the other tracks, 2002.

'Yes they're very nice, but they are not Everest and K2 are they!'

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
Here's an interesting picture of a well known trio who are still looking good, but quite a bit different from how they used to look. Anyone want to guess their names?

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Legsfan
The face (well slightly older) ring a bell from the TOTP repeats, so I'm going to say Bananarama
Sioban, Keren and Sara
Is it true they have reunited?

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Correct that it's the Banana's but the order is:
Keren, Sara and Siobhan.
Here they are in almost the same pose about 35 years earlier.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Legsfan
1983 Bananarama were very hot

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
There's a good chance the top single may be in a foreign language this week. Quite possibly down to them releasing a mix with Justin Bieber in it!
( I think I preferred Sheeran domination to Bieber domination).

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
New No.1 confirmed.

1. Luis Fonsi/Daddy Yankee/Bieber - Despacito (Remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Y2lLkUWlo

In the USA last weeks UK No.1 from DJ Khaled has gone straight in at No.1.

Here's the original Bieber free version of Despacito
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJQP7kiw5Fk

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
It's all gone a bit stagnant again, virtually no movement in the top 10.

Highest new entry:
Miley Cyrus - Malibu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j9zMok6two

The 24 year old is back with more of a girl next door look and a pleasant if unspectacular new song.

Also fans of the Bananas may want to watch Sounds of the Eighties on IPlayer as they are Sara Cox's guests this week.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
Nothing exciting in the chart so here's Shakira's top 10 best selling singles in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUT5rEU6pqM

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Legsfan
Inteesting information Doc
I'm sorry that I have neglected the 40th Anniversary routines lately, but I plan to catch up on Sunday.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Only recognise one of these - Beautiful Liar which I have on a CD single as an extended remix which is really danceable.  Get the feeling it is a Morales one as it seems to resemble Dreamlover by Mariah Carey, the club version that was constantly on the decks during the whole of the nineties.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
The top 2 are certainly worth a listen. There's a link to the first one in the post.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
A bit busy elsewhere on the forum but just enough time to say that Despacito is No.1 for a 4th week and has now become the longest a foreign language song has stayed at the top beating Chanson D'Amour's 3 weeks.

The other eight 'foreign songs' to get to top are listed here:
http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/foreign-language-songs-that-got-to-number-1__19039/

(I think the definition of foreign language song used is a bit loose though).

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
After 6 weeks at the top it's taken a disaster to displace Despacito.
New No.1.
With the biggest opening day sales this decade:
Artists For Grenfell - Bridge Over Troubled Water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O1CcwYf79I

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Dancer
Good move by the powers that be to change the rules of the chart.  Only three tracks allowed into the chart from one album apparently.  It is only fair.  Yes Ed Sheeran is very good and his performance at Glastonbury was excellent but to occupy the singles/streaming chart like that is far from excessive.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
Not heard of that. As Ed Sheeran has more than 3 songs in this weeks chart it's certainly not being done yet. They do have a trending chart that only allows the two biggest sellers by an artist to appear in it.

Oh and by the way Despacito has gone back to No.1 for a 7th week!

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
It will make quite a difference when it comes in. Many of those Ed Sheeran tracks only got in the chart because a large number of people had his album on repeat. The other move to lessen the impact of old songs that are not selling anymore but are still being streamed will help as there are far too many songs staying in the chart for a year or more at the moment. The evolution of the way people consume new music has certainly caused many problems for the charts. Unfortunately you can't just go back to physical sales only as that is apparently only about 12% of a songs income now.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

VintageVideos
Allowing only three tracks in the charts may sound like a good move on the surface. But actually it shows the deficiencies of the current system which is still in an immature stage. It's a bit like hanging a picture on the wall to hide a stain on the wallpaper.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Old Grey Whistler
VintageVideos wrote
 It's a bit like hanging a picture on the wall to hide a stain on the wallpaper.
This is something I do all the time. My house looks like an art gallery!