The current chart and music of the 21st Century.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
It will be interesting to see if the record companies change the way they release albums. It would seem to make sense to release 2 or 3 singles before putting the whole album online. That would give the best of the rest on the album a chance of getting in to the chart on their own merit.
They need to find a way to bring back the excitement of seeing what's new in the chart, at the moment you know it's going to be roughly the same as last week, which makes it rather tedious. Whilst the result will be much more contrived than in the past I'd much rather know what people are going out of their way to listen to and not what has found it's way into their favourites playlist and is being streamed regularly by default.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Dancer
Yes it will be interesting but I never listen to singles chart.  I wait for your status.  It is a good idea to only allow three tracks though as Ed Sheeran has dominated the chart, prior to him I am sure Adele had a fair run.  I never follow the album charts either.  I tend to go on the chart what is in HMV.  Nothing is tempting anymore.  We will see how all this pans out.  It is all in its embryonic stage at the moment and all of these new changes have teething problems.  Time will tell.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Week no.8 for Despacito. Come on someone release a decent record and knock it off the top!

New rules in place this week have seen one Ed Sheeran song kcked out of the chart. Other older songs have dropped a little as their stream only count for 50% now compared to new songs.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
After 9 weeks at the top Despacito has now dropped to No.2 being replaced at the top by:
Wild Thoughts - DJ Khaled featuring Rihanna and Bryson Tiller.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyaI4-5849w

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Dancer
Goodness me how many number ones has Rhianna had?  She must have some all time record now surely.  Only album I have of hers is her second or third one.  So out of touch with music now especially since I bought a boxed set of CDs of the Stylistics yesterday in HMV.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
9 I believe. I suspect the video might be playing a part in the high sales!

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
Keeping the chart fresh Despacito goes back to No.1 for the 3rd time and a combined total of 10 weeks. There seems to be a lack of any guitar based music in the top 10.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

As the current chart is a bit rubbish I'm going back 10 years to when the No.1 was Rihanna - Umbrella, but being held off the top at No.2 was this amusing one hit wonder:
Kate Nash - Foundations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryH5cga0yUI

Down at No.8 was a reworking of a Kaiser Chiefs favorite,
Mark Ronson ft Lily Allen - Oh My God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnDo6mR6fp8
the video features a cartoon Lily Allen and the real Kaiser Chiefs in the audience.

Totally unconnected but it came up next on You Tube, a song that always makes me smile:
Lily Allen - Not Fair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUYaosyR4bE

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

VintageVideos
If I had to pick a chart from one or more full decades ago to listen to, I'd pick this one from 1967:

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19670726/7501/

It beats the 1977 charts hands down to second place:

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19770724/7501/
Vin

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
77 does have Peaches in the chart!

67 was on Pick of the Pops a couple of weeks ago, there were quite a lot of songs I'd not heard before.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

VintageVideos wrote
If I had to pick a chart from one or more full decades ago to listen to, I'd pick this one from 1967:
Probably not what you meant, this was in that chart and I don't think I'd heard for about 45 years. It was a favourite of mine when I was very young.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1TC1n9lhXU

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Not looked at the singles chart yet - just followed the links by VV above and looked at album chart.  John Denver still in the Top 10.

Mark Ronson's track was good with Lily Allen.  Really enjoyed her Not Fair single too.  Even though the lyrics were controversial it was well written and performed.  The video was excellent and made her look sexy for a change.  The whole album was good and in my opinion her best ever.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Gladys Night at No 7 is very nice, although i couldn't find a TOTPs clip, only this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IjDftWaXpA

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
11 weeks at the top now!
So how about a list of the years best sellers:

How many of these do you remember hearing?
I've got 8. I'm predicting a big fat zero for Ryan.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

PattiForPM
7 for me Doc.  My daughter saw an Ed concert in Toronto and is playing his new music all the time (and yes I did buy her good earbuds!)

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Surprisingly two. (3 & 5).

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

The Rubberband Man
I only know one. The one by Rag'n'Bone Man, but I'm only human after all.

By association, I also know the Jax Jones - You Don't Know Me ft. RAYE record because I have the original version on one of those Ibiza compilation 3CD disc sets, and it's by M.A.N.D.Y. vs Booka Shade and called "Body Language".  No vocals on the original version.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc wrote
I've got 8. I'm predicting a big fat zero for Ryan.
No Doc ive not heard of any of these records (do they stil call them records) ? As for the artists on the list, ive only heard of that Ed Sheeran bloke.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

PattiForPM
Confession time: I hate myself for it but I can't help loving Despacito, which even more embarrassingly became my shower song for a while

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
It's certainly catchy, I just wish there was some better competition for the top spot.