The current chart and music of the 21st Century.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

The Rubberband Man
Doc wrote
It's certainly catchy, I just wish there was some better competition for the top spot.
Another catchy tune is that one, "Don't be afraid to catch fish". I'm surprised that's not in the charts somewhere.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Dancer
Oh dear only one and that is the No.1 which is played virtually everywhere now.  You walk past a shop and it is playing.  I don't listen to mainstream pop anymore.  Amazed I have not heard the Little Minge record though as they tend to crop up on the TV now and again.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
It's taken a collaboration of stars to finally knock Despacito off the top.

New No.1
Calvin Harris / Pharrell Williams / Katy Perry / Big Sean - Feels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozv4q2ov3Mk

Of course old charts were better! (Thanks to Pick of the Pops pointing out these two from this week in the past).

This went to No.1 for 5 weeks 28 years ago in 1989, click if you dare!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTA6I6hn-z4

This was also No.1 for 5 weeks 45 years ago in 1972. (Overly slushy!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI2hgm65WhE

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

The Rubberband Man wrote
No surprise needed anymore!

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

The Rubberband Man
Doc wrote
The Rubberband Man wrote
Doc wrote
It's certainly catchy, I just wish there was some better competition for the top spot.
Another catchy tune is that one, "Don't be afraid to catch fish". I'm surprised that's not in the charts somewhere.
No surprise needed anymore!
Ah, what a prediction, even if it's one that Simon Bates would have called right.
And of course it's catch "Feels", although that doesn't make any sense to me, so I'll carry on thinking it's fish

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc wrote
This went to No.1 for 5 weeks 28 years ago in 1989, click if you dare!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTA6I6hn-z4
Jive Bunny isn't that bad when you like Glenn Miller!

Doc wrote
Which once and for all proves the fact that the singles charts have always reflected the tastes of the 10-16 year olds. And their mothers!
Vin

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Dancer
Not heard this one yet.  Was a big fan of Katy Perry when I listened to current music stations.  Have her three albums.  Not sure how many No.1s she has had now here, but fair play to her.  Hopeless live though so comes across as manufactured.

Yes remember the 1989 Jive Bunny No.1.  Hated it and wondered who was buying into these.

1972 song was not me at all even though for a very brief time I had a Donny Osmond poster on my wall.  All the women loved this slushy.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

VintageVideos wrote
Jive Bunny isn't that bad when you like Glenn Miller!
Nothing wrong with Glenn Miller or any of the tracks but compilations like this and Starsound are just awful.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Legsfan
I quite liked the Starsound medleys especially with Legs dancing. I think they were created as a way to get older music to a new generation and in Starsounds case it has worked as I have found myself listening to songs by the Beatles more often. 1981 was the year for those records!

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

PattiForPM
I think they were 100% created for money LF

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Legsfan
Yes P4PM, though I think Enigma and Startrax were more real because they were actually appearing as a group like on TOTP, but with Starsound, it was purely for making the records and there wasn't a real group.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

PattiForPM wrote
I think they were 100% created for money LF
I wonder how much they had to pay in royalties.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Old Grey Whistler
Probably not that much otherwise they wouldn't have bothered.
It could be argued that these medleys were the forerunner of Tribute Bands.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Gorgeous Daze
As well as preferring Starsound's selections (which were less dumbed-down in the studio into party music than Jive Bunny) the Dutch outfit had a strong original element holding it all together and giving their records a sonic identity later medley-merchants lacked.

'Stars on 45 Vol 1' is great and  puts all the other medleys in the shade.
WTH

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Starsound were good.  It was just bad when we had a deluge of medleys in the charts and from memory I think Legs danced to majority of them.  The real downer when you analyse them is the constant clapping in the background.

I do have a Starsound compilation which I do play sometimes but at the time I remember buying the second album and taking it back the next day.  Two good medleys and the rest just fillers.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

VintageVideos
I think the ABBA medley is still a good party record. You can't really go wrong when playing that one.
Vin

Yes agree there, that is why I bought the second album for the Abba one.  It had a pink cover but the rest were fillers.  At the time it really did sound like Abba too - more so than Bjorn Again of the nineties and Abacadabra. The latter were big in the clubs.

I have the 7" Stars on 45, ABBA medley and Stars on Stevie. They were all together in a charity shop record box and I think all three only cost me 60p.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Dancer
In every charity shop now you will find a Starsound medley.  They were just a fad but as VV said the Abba one was good.  From memory the Starsound Vol 1 Beatles seven inch b-side was entitled "45 stars get ready".  We had a guy who had tourettes at work and he used to sing that constantly:-

"just a little bit, just a little bit..... 45 stars get ready".  Drove everyone mad but it made me laugh.

I have yet to find the Starsound albums in the charity shops yet.  They make good nostalgic listening now.