Quantcast

The current chart and music of the 21st Century.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
It is!

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

I liked it too, I'm ashamed to say, and I am a terrible curmudgeon at the best of times.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Of  Scrooge (1951) fame. I love that film

Hey guys, the Christmas movie channels will start in a little over 12 weeks!

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc wrote
13 weeks now, being kept there on streaming despite not being the best seller.
The current No.1 is actually only the 11th best selling single but has been streamed a vast amount of times. It is interesting to see how counting streaming services into the chart has resulted in a near stagnation of it.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

And now it's 14 weeks!
Highest new entry Olly Murs comes crashing in at No.23. It seems the days of a the highest new entry being at No.1 almost every week are now firmly in the past.

Olly Murs - You Don't Know Love (OK, but nothing special).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAU7zsnH3Go

One I've already used but I quite like the director going over the top with the special effects in the official video so again here's
Clean Bandit ft Louisa Johnson - Tears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc-nyGo0aC8

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
The BBC has noticed that there is a problem:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36794105

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Legsfan
Ridiculous! The only charts I'll be following are the ones on a Thursday night  Thanks for the link Doc

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc

Well that's 15 weeks, one more to equal Bryan Adams record! It was streamed 4,330,000 times last week, which gives you an idea of how many times you'll have to play your favourite 70's record to get it back to the top of the charts. One reason attributed to it's success is the record company have somehow managed to keep it from getting on to You Tube. I suspect the industry will be watching that with interest!

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
Bryan Adams' record is safe!

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Good heavens.  I have not heard this record at all and in fact not heard the charts for about two years now.  Just found it was all getting out of hand.  I stopped when records were peaking in the first week and then disappearing at the rate of knots the following week.  It seems like they have rectified this now.  Personally because of the demise of the CD single I ceased listening as I do not know how to stream.  Always preferred the CD single or 7"/12" single.  The last No.1 I really liked was Get Lucky and Happy.  I am certainly an old codger now.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
Dancer wrote
I stopped when records were peaking in the first week and then disappearing at the rate of knots the following week.  It seems like they have rectified this now.
You spoke too soon!
Straight in to No.1 this week is Major Lazer featuring Justin Bieber and M0 - Cold Water
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a59gmGkq_pw

Nothing special but it got 47000 downloads and 5.6 million streams.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Dancer
Good heavens. I read about this in The Metro the other morning how well it is doing.  I go into HMV every Friday morning to look at the new releases and I don't recognise any.  This morning in Wolves branch they were playing a Classical compilation which I thought was odd so maybe they are realising that the dirge that is flooding through now is so dull.  I am steeped in nostalgic radio now i.e. Magic Soul Summer on DAB or LBC; very occasionally Ken Bruce on Radio 2.

It is certainly reflected when I attend works functions and they are all dancing and I am questioning what the music is.  Just not the same anymore.  Bring back Johnny Walker every Tuesday at 12pm for the singles chart and Thursday 12pm for the album charts.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
Dancer wrote
Bring back Johnny Walker every Tuesday at 12pm for the singles chart and Thursday 12pm for the album charts.
I remember having to rush back to school on Tuesdays as I wouldn't leave until either Johnny Walker or Paul Burnett had played the No.1. Many times my Mum had to give me a lift back so I didn't get detention.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Dancer
haha.  I was lucky.  I never had to be back at school until 2pm so left the house at 1.45pm.  School jollies were the best though because we heard it all.  I was so gutted when Newsbeat came along with Richard Skinner and it took fifteen minutes off the shows.  I remember the Pans People interview on Newsbeat and Mom telling me "we are not buying that record on Saturday".  #happydays

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

and for three bonus points Doc, can you name the backing music that Johnny Walker played from 1974 onwards to 1976 during the chart run down.  There were three pieces of music.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
Easy answer, I don't remember any of them.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Dancer
It was:-

Time is Tight - Booker T and the MGs
Let the Music Play - (Long version instrumental); and
Love Hangover (Long version instrumental)

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

VintageVideos
I think I remember Time Is Tight, but it's so long ago really, more than 40 years, and AM reception was always very inconsistent here in Germany. I used to record the chart countdown but sometimes even after repeated listening some positions would be impossible to make out.
Vin

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Dancer
Yeah Time is Tight was played for a few years until Barry White's instrumental b-sides came along and then obviously disco.

I remember going into Woolworths in my holidays and watching the Assistant write the chart placings down so they could be the first to put the chart up for the Tuesday evening.  They used to use the white letters on a black pegboard from 1 to 20.  I really wanted that job.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

VintageVideos
Tuesday evenings I would listen to the chart show on Radio Luxembourg. Of special interest were always the lower positions as they would give me an indication of which records were bubbling under the BBC Top 30.
Vin