The current chart and music of the 21st Century

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Everything'sRosie
I didn't expect to see Neil Young or Joni Mitchell in any list of Number Ones. Same with Leonard Cohen. These are highly regarded artists of cultural importance, whose work will be admired by future generations. Most chart music is pap of a transitory nature, but I guess that's why we love it.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

It's another week at the top for the dire God's Plan, I've obviously crossed the barrier and become old as I cannot see what those streaming it like about it? Not a great deal of note in the top 10 however rising 5 to No.5 is an old hand to the chart Craig David with a reasonable if a little bit too laid back song.
Craig David ft Bastille - I Know You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kka1a_j3dmg

30 years ago this hero of the shopping malls was at the top!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Q3mHyzn78

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
Another week at the top for the awful God's Plan thanks to it being streamed 7.1 million times in the last week. In the download only chart it only scrapes in at No.5.

No.1 in the download chart and No.2 in the combined chart is a collaboration between Rudimental, Jess Glynne and Macklemore which is somewhat better than the Canadian dirge blocking it.

These Day - Rudimental/Glynne/Macklemore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTj-_55WZ8

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
I thought I’d look and see what is No. 1 in America, you guessed it God’s Plan! Scotland have differing opinions as it only gets to No.13 there with These Days being their favourite track.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

A month at the top now and it's finally got a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=288&v=XUqRem0W8L8

I have to say I much preferred the No.1 17 years ago!

An interesting bit of info about the song, it was recorded just before Kerry Katona was replaced by Jenny Frost, they even made a video of it with her which was quickly replaced by the one above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkaCgIIVdaM

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
5 weeks at the top for Drake, thanks to everyone watching the new video! (yes that counts now).

10 years ago the No.1 was somewhat better. a young lady called Amy was at the top, now what happened to her?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ZEVA5dy-Y

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

All a bit dull this week so I'm going back to the No.1 of 50 years ago this week, a record that is possibly the first one I can remember hearing on the radio. Maybe something to do with it being somewhat unusual!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBjI1aC4yCM

This came up You Tube afterwards, an interesting bit of 1969 BBC entertainment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFB-L-zvuSs

When I say possibly the first one I remember, these two are vying for that crown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KEhWTnWvE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xnzPnyyWbY

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
After 9 weeks at the top, Drake’s droaning is finally dropping off the countries streaming playlists. It’s been kept at the top for the last 2 or 3 weeks by people playing it over and over again as it was struggling to stay in the top 10 download chart. Since the counting of streaming, the charts have been completely messed up and they’ve still got a long way to go to get the balancing right. Unfortunately going back to the old method is out as so few actually buy records or downloads these days. The current prediction is that there will definitely be a new chart topper this Friday. It would be nice to go back to the new fresh No. 1 every 2 or 3 weeks, just like the 1970’s had.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
We have a new No.1 which after 7 consecutive weeks at No.2 (a tied record!) has finally climbed the final place. I have to say I like this one a lot more that the previous occupant.

Rudimental/Glynne/Macklemore - These Days

A few more stats:
This is Rudimental's third time at the top.
It is also Jess Glynne's sixth time at the top, a record for a British female, dislodging Cheryl Tweedy/Cole from that one.

The other record to spend 7 weeks at No.2 was back in 2011 and this time it never made the top, remarkably being kept off by 6 different chart toppers!

Maroon Five ft Christina Aguilera - Moves Like Jagger

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
Just like buses, you wait ages then two No.1's come along together.
The new No.1 is a comedy rap which comes with an amusing video.

Lil Dickey ft Chris Brown - Freaky Friday.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
After allowing other acts a spell at the top Drake is back at No.1 with a new single.
Drake - Nice For What
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9BwWKXjVaI

Not one that I'm going to be going out of my way to listen to, rumours are it may only be a one week wonder.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

As predicted another new No.1.
Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa - One Kiss
The 9th No.1 for Calvin and the 2nd for Dua.

Looks like they received their No.1 award while they were at the show.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
Time to look back to some old No.1's. A few good ones here!

5 years ago
Daft Punk ft Pharrell Williams - Get Lucky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5EofwRzit0

10 years ago
Madonna ft Justin Timberlake - 4 Minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHHUhcV2eVY

50 years ago
Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21LGv8Cf0us

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Calvin Harris and Dua Lipa have now been at the top for 4 weeks and it now has an extremely colourful official video!

The Big Top 40 chart used by the independent radio stations disagrees and for the last 3 weeks this has been at the top and it comes with a rather expensive looking video:

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
Anything better in the USA. Simply answer is absolutely not!
Drake's droaning is at No.1, No.3, No.9 and No.18 and Post Malone is at No.2, No.7, No.8, No.11, No.14, No.15, No.16, No.17 and No.20. Looks like the Yanks have yet to modify the charts to stop the 'Ed Sheeran effect' of a new album dominating the Top 20. Ironically Ed Sheeran is one of the few other artists that have managed to break the domination hanging on at No.12.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
8 weeks at the top now for Calvin and Dua. Unusually the top 3 this week all have female lead singers. Even more unusual I like all 3, it’s been quite while since I could say that.

1. One Kiss - Calvina Harris and Dua Lipa.
2. I’ll Be There - Jess Glynne.
3. 2002 - Anne Marie.

Initial reports suggest that there will be a new No.1 next Friday, it is currently very close battle between 3 songs.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!occasional band from my

Doc
As predicted, there is a new No.1:
Jess Glynne - I'll Be There
Her 7th chart topper, however the band she had her first No.1 with might just overtake next week.