The current chart and music of the 21st Century.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Dancer
I used to listen to Radio Luxembourg in bed especially during the Summer months when it was difficult to sleep.  I loved that station.

Here it was Tuesday midday singles chart with Johnny Walker.  He would play the new entries and big climbers until 12.30pm and then top five from 12.45 to 1pm and then 1pm until 2pm the ones that were bubbling under.  I remember him playing Do It Any Way You Wanna by People's Choice and saying that Pans People would find it really difficult to dance to this song and I was really hoping it would have made the chart so they could prove him wrong as it was the perfect dance song.

Through the years and different DJs the format shrunk slightly and emphasis was just on the Top 5 at 12.45pm and that was it.

I am sure it is done on a Friday now.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
Dancer wrote
I used to listen to Radio Luxembourg in bed especially during the Summer months when it was difficult to sleep.  I loved that station..
I often fell asleep listening to Luxembourg only to be awaken by that irritating 'jingle' about 8 notes long that repeated over and over again. Not sure if it was some sort of jamming from Russia but I still remember it clearly.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

VintageVideos
Did it sound anything like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ2xnPbqdks

?

I guess you heard their interval signal which they aired between the end of the English programme at 2:45 and the start of the religious programmes at 3:45.
Vin

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

It had a similar repetitiveness but had more notes and I think it was a horn playing. The timing seems about right though.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

CoffeeThing
Talking of  'pirate' stations, does anyone else recall the short lived but excellent Laser 558 staffed by US DJs that lasted i think around a year from spring 1984 on a vessel moored alongside that of Radio Luxembourg? After its demise, the latter rebranded Luxembourg 558 and assumed the former's stronger broadcast frequency.

http://www.offshoreradiomuseum.co.uk/page371.html
This week, I are be mostly hanging in there

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

VintageVideos
I remember Laser quite well, they played some good music. It wasn't Radio Luxembourg though that took its frequency but Radio Caroline
Laser returned later as "Laser Hot Hits" on 576, the old Caroline frequency. But it wasn't so hot really.
Vin

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

There was also a heap of pirate stations flooding the 41 & 49m Short Wave Bands in the late 70's/early 80's, like European Music Radio from the UK. They were usually on on Sundays.
Vin

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
Nothing exciting this week (unless you're a teenage girl), Bieber still at No.1.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Old Grey Whistler
No change to the singles chart but it is nice to see Viola Beach topping the album charts.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Dancer
It was inevitable Viola Beach would be No.1 in the album charts as four of the tracks were due to be released as an EP.  Just watched a music programme on TV and it was an hour of Little Minge and Girls Aloud.  Huge fan of the latter and the former have certainly done well for themselves given that they were supposed write offs at the commencement of their career with Simon.  I have a few CDs of Girls aloud and when Little Minge release their compilation no doubt I will purchase that too.  So that is as close I will get to the more modern music.  Everything else is just nostalgic.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
Bieber at No.1 and No.2. Yawn!

BBC quote: "The singles chart is largely static, with most of the Top 10 shuffling down a place to accommodate Justin Bieber's new entry at two".

It's all got rather tedious since they started counting streaming data in.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
Bieber domination continues!
Unusually 2 new entries this week, at No.25 Ellie Goulding and a blast from the past at No.29 Craig David.

(The two columns show last week position and weeks on the chart)

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Dancer
Just noticed on BBC teletext that Barbra Streisand is No.1 in the album charts.  I do like some of her music but I skipped this one as I had not heard any of them before.  A whole album of Barbra though can lead in my opinion to tinnitus.  Well done to her though.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
The Bieber domination has been broken!
New No.1
Chainsmokers ft Halsey - Closer

My only question is how? Personally I think it's rather tedious, you make your mind up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT2_F-1esPk

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

PattiForPM
I agree Doc, a bit mundane if you ask me

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
It's also No.1 in America, so it must have something going for it!

I think this thread needs a bit of livening up!
So here's one that was No.1 both sides of The Atlantic late in 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJfFZqTlWrQ

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
Almost total stagnation in this weeks chart! No.8 and 9 have swapped places other than that complete boredom ensues.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Dancer
Good gracious I don't recognise any of these songs at all.  I need to get out more.  Notice how Nos 6 and 9 have had copious weeks on the chart.  That would be non-existent about three years ago when records entered at their peak and vanished.  The joy of downloading/streaming.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
It's a reaction to kids playing the same song over and over again for about 4 months.

Re: The Old Gits chart update!

Doc
A couple of ripples in the top 10 this week! Sadly the top 4 is static again.

Jumping from No.49 to No.5 is:
Sia ft Kendrick Lamar - The Greatest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKSRyLdjsPA
(Note the video is arty and the music does not start for 1 minute).

(Verdict: It grows on you but needs more than one listen).

Lady Gaga's first single for 3 years failed to crack the top 10 entering the chart at No.12.