The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

Gayle M
Every once in a while I'd read comments on YouTube videos saying how 'the blonde one' is the worst dancer in Pan's People. And I agree. While Babs is objectively a fine dancer on her own rights, she was the worst out of all the girls. At least to me she was.

But just earlier today I was watching the "Altar Rock" routine and Babs as usual was put front and center. Not one minute into the video she'd already done a mistake. But while I was watching this video I realized why she was often out of sync from the rest of the dancers.

I realized that Babs has way too much energy compared to the rest of the dancers. She was always smiling wide and while the other girls also liked to flash their smiles, they don't do it throughout the whole routine like Babs would. She appeared, to me, like she was more focused on having a good time than on following the routines, which she does brilliantly anyway. She looked like she was really excited just to be there, dancing on the stage. She is a bit like a puppy going on its first walk. And I think that's very sweet.

Well, that's my take on it. I may be reading far too much into it, but I just wanted to share

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

Hanway2
Welcome back to the Forum Gayle M. With some very interesting thoughts about Babs.
I do tend to agree with you. I like Babs very much, but as a dancer I often find it hard to give her the award as best in my on going Pan’s reviews. The others very often outshine her, unless there is something very different in Babs’ role in the routine. Like the front Spirit in Spirit In The Sky, or lead magician in You Can Do Magic.
She will come first in other numbers, but for dancing ability there are better exponents in the group.
But Babs is always enjoyable to watch and mostly for the best! I would not like to be too critical of any member of these dancing icons.
rod

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

rod
Hello gale, I hear what you are saying but does it really matter the person that never makes a mistake never does anything. every body has their favourite dancer and Babs was eye candy for lots of fans even Cherry said they all wanted to be like her. With the BBC constanly changing the dances to suit the charts the problem was possible having to remember to much information. All the girls made mistakes over the course of their time with pans to me it didn't matter I just liked looking at them. keep dancing Keep the Faith.

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

Dancer
A few men did not like her.  I remember my father saying in the lounge "she has made a mistake again" or "the blonde has gone wrong again".  Not sure if he disliked blondes but to me and I am sure majority of their fans Babs had a special something.  She was our Bridget Bardot as some DJs used to describe her.  Babs did tend to pose like her in some shots but from a dance point of view she did make some mistakes but we are all human and I would imagine the pressures they were under from about 1973 onwards must have been awful.  I absolutely adore watching them as a group dance and I don't aim to find out errors.  I leave that to other members on here and then I cannot find the mistakes such as The Hustle.  No matter how many times I have viewed that video I cannot find the error and to be fair I don't want to.  I liked them and they kept me going as a dancer.  Every man had his favourite out of the dance group(s) as did their women fans.  They pushed records up the charts because of their presence.  Ruby and Legs were the same.  I am sure every fan had their favourite.  I was not a fan when they were on TOTPs but now do appreciate them more as I like the music and the moves.  Looking at them all now in the pictures section I think they look marvellous for their age.

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

Hi Gayle, interesting post, thanks.  I recall having a long discussion on here in the early days with someone about whether it was kosher to say any negative things about the Dancers and my view hasn't changed all that much;  I think honest opinions are worthwhile even if they contain some negatives as long as they are not malicious or rude.  Also they mean the positives are all the more meaningful.  Long preamble sorry but I must say I agree that Babs was a bit prone to dancing gaffes and she also had a style all her own, generally a bit more detached than some of the other dancers in my opinion.  Even BeautifulBabs, her biggest fan on here, has joked about this in some of his reviews (which area sorely missed by the way).  As examples watch When Will I see You Again and Nutbush City Limits.  I contrast her with Ruth, who always seemed like a little fire cracker.  To me Gill is the Legs & Co parallel. I am not sure of the reason as she is a trained and experienced dancer by this time and maybe you are right about the explanation but I am not at all sure.  I think perhaps it is about style and personality and a relaxed easy-going attitude on stage.    Anyway my feeling is that Babs provided balance in the Troupe and definitely had a strong appeal to many and I really can't imagine Pans without her powerful presence.

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

Dolly
Hello Gayle!
You know, it's so funny how we both were introduced to these lovely dancers by the Kate Bush video "Those Heavy People".
Small world.

💕BEAUTIFUL Babs💕

I don't think the group would be the same without her.
I think she's a good dancer. She very energetic and no matter how many mistakes she makes, she just keeps smiling. That's what makes her so endearing and human. To me she always seems to have her head in the clouds. On many pictures of the girls Babs seems to be looking in another direction or perhaps daydreaming. It's very sweet.
There's only One Beautiful BABS.
One of my favorite Beautiful Babs routines is this one:
http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=764

Sunny Hugs!
Dolly💋

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

JEZ
To me ,I think it's probably noticible now , because we are able to view routines that'll are available at our leisure,over and over again if we wanted ,over 40 years ago whilst watching a 3 minutes fast routine ,or even slow one come to that ,I doubt many people could really take in ,in the those quick 3 minutes ,that Babs  was 3 seconds behind ,or Dee Dee didn't turn her head in time to the camera etc etc ,unless there was a massive mistake that was made ,and really noticible ,I certainly would not have had time to disect the odd mistake ,that can be seen after watching a few times now ,back then .Don't forget that way back when the dancers were hired on shows like totp ,the routines were only ever meant to entertain the public ,for one airing only ,I really would be surprised if flick Colby and other choreographers ,were thinking to themselves ,oh people are going to be watching these dances in nearly 50 years time ,and are going to notice Babs and co making a slight mistake ,it's like watching your favourite band forgetting to mime a certain word of their current chart hit on totp back then , nobody really cared as long as they got to see the bay city rollers or whoever you were a fan of at the time .

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

Unbelievable, what a horrid thing to say, , why not look out for the best in the dancers not the worst ?

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

PattiforPM
BB I don't think this Thread was started with any malice and is just quoting uninformed sources and then expressing an opinion about these.  I suspected by the small number of replies that a lot of people are steering clear of this subject and did think a lot before I replied too.  I would welcome any other opinions and if it strongly felt to be insulting or unworthy by others I guess it could be taken down....

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

I will have my fourpennth on this. I think the main thing im not so keen on Gayle is your thread title and how you've used the word `worst`. This does come across as a bit cold hearted when reading it. Maybe you could have titled your thread differently, least adept, maybe.

On saying that i do agree that Babs dancing ability in some departments was a little inferior to the others. Taller, bigger dancers such as Babs and Rosie from Legs & Co can at times appear to be less graceful, dare i say clunky sometimes. Its also true that Babs did on occasions make mistakes that are highlighted more as others have said by the fact we can analyze the routines in great detail these days. But every dancer, even the best ones made mistakes and i can't hold that against Babs.

Maybe also it could be argued her best dancing days were in the go-go style from the mid to late sixties. Whilst the other dancers found the 1970's TOTPs style with its diversity to be more to their taste, Babs may not have be suited so much to the complexities of it.

Babs of course for most males growing up in the 70s was very much the figure-head of Pans People. Being the popular big blonde one who seemed to smile more than the others was very much to her credit. She was the one i remember the most and to be honest the other darker haired girls didn't feature as much in my prepubescent head as she did.

Just to finish Gayle, i do admire the fact you took the time to make your post. So long as there is construction and reasoning in criticism, then i encourage it.
RYAN
HG

I agree with Gayle M. She was the worst dancer. Her balance as well was not good. She also had trouble performing high kicks. She was not as supple as the other girls

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

PattiforPM
That's very harsh HG and not really what Gayle was saying IMO

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

The Rubberband Man
Babs is an icon. She's the most recognisable of all the girls in Pans People. She's a national treasure and she's very much loved by thousands of people who watched TOTPs in the 70's.

I really think there's way too much hate in this nasty and unwarranted thread.

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

I don't agree with any of your wording at all.  Babs was beautiful.  She seemed to be the tallest but irrespective they all gave a certain something to us men.  I loved her and her looks were just beautiful and her moves.

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

Dolly

My baby seems to love Babs! She's 14 months old, so she's just starting to talk. Whenever she sees Beautiful Babs she says "E.T." That's her way of saying pretty. I think it's her beautiful, shiny, blonde hair and mega watt smile!
My favorite is Ruthie, but her's is BABS!
Sunny 🌞 Hugs,
Dolly💋

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

The Rubberband Man wrote
I really think there's way too much hate in this nasty and unwarranted thread.
I know in this snowflake world we now have to be careful of making any criticism, even well thought out and constructive criticism in case it offends, but i think you are wrong to label this thread nasty and unwarranted. The thread starter Gayle did put some thought into her reasoning and didn't just throw it out bluntly and without thought. I believe everyone has made valid points (with the exception of one person) so far.

My only real beef is the thread title and the use of the word `worst` which i commented on in my post a while back. The thread wouldn't feel so much of a depth charge if the title was worded differently. I also hope that Gayle will return to respond and make a follow-up post that responds to our points of view.

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

  Hello Dolly,
  It looks like we have found the youngest Pan's People fan- in your 14 month old! Good to know she is very appreciative of Babs. Long may it continue.
 I suppose there are two aspects at play here, those who remember the dancers from the time, and those who have discovered them since the routines finished.
  And myself being a bit older than many others on the Forum, in my formative years of about 13 and 14, it was Pan's as the big attraction, and Ruth of course. I was 16 when Legs and Co began, and had started to move away on to different horizons. Whereas others here are a few years younger, and Legs were the icons they remember best, and thus most important to them. As it should be.
 For those who found the Dancing Queens later, like yourself, you have the beauty of having both uncovered for you at the same time. Three if you include Ruby Flipper, as we should.
  Best wishes to you and the little 'un. I shall remember Babs and E.T!
   Hanway.

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

Old Grey Whistler
I think I have mentioned before that I don't have a favourite dancer as I view them as a unit rather than as individuals.
Likewise I don't have a view on who the worst dancer was if indeed there was one. I rate all the dancers as being very good and perhaps there were some who were brilliant but there was no one who was substandard.
HG

being an ex dancer myself i can not help but note all the abilities of the dancers.

Re: The endearing reason why Babs is the 'worst' dancer in Pan's People (my take)

Gayle M
Apologies everyone if it seemed as if I was being nasty about Babs... but I think I've made it quite clear in the first paragraph of my first post that I wasn't...

Perhaps I was harsh in my using of the word "worst", but it was the word you'd see very often in YouTube comments talking about Babs, so I didn't really think anything of it.
12