The most popular Pan's People routine?

VintageVideos
What's your definition of 'popular'? Here are some definitions that I found:
"Liked or admired by many people or by a particular person or group", "frequently encountered or widely accepted", "commonly liked or approved", "Something that is popular is enjoyed or liked by a lot of people". Notice the use of words like "many", "frequently", "commonly", "a lot of"?

Well, undoubtedly the easiest (and best) way to tell the world that you like or enjoy a Pan's People routine is to comment on it in the Pan's People Comments Section. And by that definition, the most popular Pan's People routine is sitting at No. 102 in our list of average dance ratings! Yes, the routine I'm referring to is "Both Sides Now" by Judy Collins which has amassed no less than 29 ratings - two more than the runner-up "Jeepster".

If you ask me why "Both Sides Now" is so popular, the answer is: I don't know! Why have so many people commented on a routine that merely reached an average of 6.22, that is generally regarded as substandard, that is available only as a monochrome recording? I have absolutely no idea!

Maybe you can solve this mystery for me. Speculations, conjecture and guesswork are not only allowed but required!

And if you who are reading this keep thinking, what is he on about, I've never seen that routine until now, then why not go, watch, comment and write OFTD history by being No. 30!

Re: The most popular Pan's People routine?

Dancer
That is really surprising to say it was the most popular.  I think maybe because it was the routine itself which I initially felt did not match the song but sometimes their routines did not.  The tune was very very catchy and very popular.  The dresses were beautiful and it would have been lovely to see this in colour just to see the make up of the dresses.  It has been played on TOTP2 a couple of times and the first time I did see it I was quite taken with it but did not wish to rewind it and see it again.  Judy Collins certainly had a lovely voice and made this song her own considering it was Joni Mitchell's.  On another note I would have really liked to have seen Pans dance to Send in the Clowns.

Re: The most popular Pan's People routine?

Well I subscribe to the most well liked definition of "popular" so I really really can't agree that Both Sides Now fits the bill.  It may have been commented on the most but many people enjoy slinging mud as much if not more than awarding gold medals; that's just one of our endearing human traits.  I know we have had a bit on an influx of Early Pans Appreciators recently and I have found this quite enlightening but honestly Both Sides Now the most popular Pans Dance, I don't think so.  The music is fine but not at all Dancey all the Pans Dances in that Top 101 are to my mind more popular.

Re: The most popular Pan's People routine?

Both Sides Now is very popular with me- in the very best sense of the word. I awarded the dance a 9/10 and top dancer to Babs. The girls all look very glamorous in the long frocks and boots, with their hair tied up in a bun. The whole routine exudes charm and poise, and is so reminiscent for me of that time. Of youth and innocence.
As for the definition of popular as being most visited or commented upon, the more people who see it the better as far as I am concerned. I am sure someone will give it a 10 someday- soon.

Re: The most popular Pan's People routine?

AC/PD
I wouldn't subscribe to the theory that volume of comments per se equates to popularity because the comments may well be of the non-plussed or even negative variety. Praise-worthy comments alone are the proper gauge concerning popularity so one would expect an abundance of opinions in the affirmative to translate to according scores in the upper reaches of the 1-10 scale.
Perhaps there are are 'faults' or criticisms to be found submerged beneath an avalanche of approving opinions which could drag the average score down...but being such a middling total creates a discrepancy between written and numerical approval. i.e Go figure!

Re: The most popular Pan's People routine?

I think this can be described as a statistical oddity. I think perhaps some of our former forum members rated this dance but had left the forum before completing their way through all the other dances. Perhaps this was one of the early dances to be presented and those people had left before the later ones were available?
There does seem to be some wildly differing views on this one and I wouldn't describe it as universally popular. Our old friend Andee Bee scored it a one while GD seemed to enjoy it about as much as a vegan visiting an abattoir.

There seems to be a similar situation over on the Legs & Co side with the reasonably average Portsmouth having received more ratings than any other.

Re: The most popular Pan's People routine?

Gorgeous Daze
Old Grey Whistler wrote
GD seemed to enjoy it about as much as a vegan visiting an abattoir.
Not your best analogy OGW. BSN washes over me in grey but it hardly horrifies.

Yes it was one of the very early dances to be presented, and that's certainly part of the story. But "You Won't Find Another Fool..." which is definitely a fun routine had been posted the week before, and that one has just got 21 ratings so far. So there must be more about BSN. But I can't put my finger on it.

Re: The most popular Pan's People routine?

Old Grey Whistler wrote
There seems to be a similar situation over on the Legs & Co side with the reasonably average Portsmouth having received more ratings than any other.
 Yes and I think the edgy TVC15 held this crown on the Planet Ruby Flipper side for quite some time even though it has been followed by a solid Love Hangover more recently so this numbers game may have no simple solution...

Re: The most popular Pan's People routine?

Just a thought but surely the number of reviews as a measure of popularity would only work if they were all posted on the same day, thus given an equal time period to amass reviews. Maybe i'm over thinking this

Mel

Re: The most popular Pan's People routine?

Mel
Could it be that the high number of reviews for BSN was because people felt they could relate to the lyrics, and it struck a chord in their own personal lives. Mind you the same could be said for lyrics in the other routines.

I may have lost the plot.
M6
Mel

Re: The most popular Pan's People routine?

Mel
Hi Vin. Could you tell me if BSN was meant to be left in black and white?
M6