The proposed UK Number 2's poll.

Following on from the recent and very popular UK number 1's poll, id like to create the same thing again, only this time with the songs that peaked at number 2 in the charts.

A UK number 2 single is defined as a hit that peaks at 2 in the Official UK Singles Chart, never making Number 1. If it gets to Number 1 even many years later as a re-issue, it is no-longer a Number 2.

So with that in mind i will once again be using the years 1960 to 1989. At this point i must point out that the first half of the 1960's some of the number 2's on offer are vague to say the least. My advice to folk is to hit YouTube or something similar for those and see if something stirs in the memory. Usually the tunes are far more memorable than the song titles.

The tried and trusted 72 hour poll format will be employed once again. The Tuesday to Friday timescale is something we are familiar with and i see no need to change that and again each poll will be accompanied by a large colouful collage. This will commence on Tuesday 11th Sept and again every year i offer up will be in random form. I will start with a 60's year, then the following week a year from the 70's, then 80's. So it goes 60s,70's,80's,60's and so on.

This will hopefully give us another 7 or 8 months worth of entertainment and with so few talking points about the dancing stuff these days it will help to keep the forum active a while longer.

If anyone has any points they would like to raise or suggestions on this new proposed poll, then please say so on here.

Re: The proposed UK Number 2's poll.

Everything'sRosie
I'm all for this, Ryan. Some fabulous records have stalled at No: 2 over the years, we've just had Manic Monday in the repeats for instance, so revisiting them will prove a lot of fun. Even those early 60s ones should prove intriguing for their sheer obscurity.

Re: The proposed UK Number 2's poll.

Gorgeous Daze
Well here's one set of polls that Kate Bush definitely won't be winning! She'll be waiting patiently for the face-off to vanquish whatever upstart No.2 comes out on top.

Looking forward to this, there will be some very interesting selections to chew over.

Re: The proposed UK Number 2's poll.

Am looking forward to this poll, Ryan. We have records that should have got to number one, but didn't get there.

Re: The proposed UK Number 2's poll.

PattiforPM
I'm on board Captain

Re: The proposed UK Number 2's poll.

 I am ready and willing to get cracking on this, too. And if we find some unusual and unfamiliar number 2’s then perhaps we may find something we like, unexpectedly. And we can vote for that number that Pan’s danced to, 10 years after it was at number 2.
I wonder how far we can go with these. Favourite number 3’s, number 4’s. We could spend the rest of our lives doing this!

Re: The proposed UK Number 2's poll.

Well i think i will be stopping at number 2's Hanway, i see no real value doing number 3's etc. As for future polls, something i do have in mind is our favourite song Pans People danced to on TOTPs. On such a poll folk would have to remove the dance routine from their minds and instead focus on the song. Anyway this is something for the future and id have to work out the formula of how to press ahead with that. Obviously once Pans were done id then do Ruby, then Legs, but thats for another time.

Re: The proposed UK Number 2's poll.

MADMAX
Like these polls, they are ones I can vote on.Its amazing the differant rankings  sometimes of the songs/artists between here and there.

Re: The proposed UK Number 2's poll.

CoffeeThing
This is excellent, these polls are lots if fun and bring up some great forgotten songs. Thanks Ryan, all your hard work brings great joy.
This week, I are be mostly too warm

Re: The proposed UK Number 2's poll.

Legsfan
I look forward to the polls. Thanks for continuing Ryan.

Re: The proposed UK Number 2's poll.

AC/PD
It'll be an interesting, different angle to weigh up the not so well-known 'almost' Chart-toppers in comparison with the more familiar No.1's.

Re: The proposed UK Number 2's poll.

A quick count-up of the number 2's list shows that Legs & Co in some shape or form danced to 20 of them. Starting with `Somebody To Love` and ending with the dreaded `Birdie Song`.

Re: The proposed UK Number 2's poll.

Well i think i will be stopping at number 2's Hanway, i see no real value doing number 3's etc. As for future polls, something i do have in mind is our favourite song Pans People danced to on TOTPs. On such a poll folk would have to remove the dance routine from their minds and instead focus on the song. Anyway this is something for the future and id have to work out the formula of how to press ahead with that. Obviously once Pans were done id then do Ruby, then Legs, but thats for another time.
Ryan, you old spoilsport, I was So much looking forward to voting for my favourite number 21 from 1969! Now I will never know.
I like the idea of voting for our favourite Songs or Tunes for Pan’s, Ruby and Legs. Presumably, that will not be until next year after the number 2 polls have been finished. And the grand Kate Bush and ‘Wuthering Heights’ take on all comers finale!

Re: The proposed UK Number 2's poll.

Old Grey Whistler
Hanway2 wrote
 And the grand Kate Bush and ‘Wuthering Heights’ take on all comers finale!
I don't think that will be necessary. If Kate Bush sang 'Old Mcdonald Had A Farm' I predict that she would still romp to victory in the poll!

I've just checked, no Kate Bush record has ever stopped at number 2, so these latest polls will not feature the great lady. Boo.

[...]

BIB
Yep, there's no help from a Bob Borst DJ or similar for the #2's, so it's YouTube (or similar) for the memory jog
All bound for Lulu Land