Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Floid Fan
Since we are travelling in our musical Tardis back to 1976 every Thursday, here are the 20 biggest selling singles of 1976.
Two questions: first is a quiz question because I don't know the answer. Q. How many of these twenty songs were danced to be PP/RF/LandC on TOTP?
Second question: Which of these songs are actually decent songs that stand the test of time and still sound great today? All comments on this list also welcome.

20. Leo Sayer: You Make Me Feel Like Dancing.
19. The Real Thing: Can't Get By Without You
18: Hank Mizzell: Jungle Rock.
17. Demis Roussos: When Forever Has Gone.
16. The Wurzels: Combine Harvester.
15. Candy Staton: Young Hearts Run Free.
14. Rod Stewart: Sailing.
13. Slik: Forever and Ever.
12. The Real Thing: You to Me Are Everything.
11. Showaddywaddy: Under the Moon of Love.
10. The Four Seasons: December 63.
9. Demis Roussos: The Roussos Phenomenon.
8. Tina Charles: I Love to Love.
7. Abba: Fernando
6. Chicago: If you Leave Me Now.
5. Doctor Hook: A Little Bit More.
4. Abba: Dancing Queen.
3. Pussycat: Mississippi.
2. Elton John and Kiki Dee: Don't Go Breaking My Heart.
1. Brotherhood of Man: Save Your Kisses For Me.
Carl

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

JEZ
im gonna go for 5 carl on the quiz i know you lot might think 6 but ive never seen any evidence of the a little bit more routine by ruby flipper my info only states disc entry for that song ,and i have never seen a clip of the song or remember ruby dancing to it ,it is probably correct and they did perform to it ,but i like hard evidence like someones memory of the routine or the actuall clip itself ,but if i did have to include this then it would be 6

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

PattiforPM
I'm with Jez although remember both Troupes danced to December 63 and Jungle Rock so they could be counted twice if one was being picky.  As for passing the test of time I would go for the two Abba songs (Dancing Queen being the obvious champ), Rod's nautical lullaby and a minor mention for Hank Mizell and Showaddywaddy but this is highly subjective of course.  I've already made clear my views about the music of '76 in general and this list doesn't change that.

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Theres only one that stands the test of time for me, number 16 on the list !

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Kace
that songs rubbish ryan wit a capital C. lol
ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

XxXx

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

late night viewer
I've been told that it is very corny.

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

John Lennon thought the Wurzels were genius too, oh no wait I'm thinking of someone else

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Kace
the real thing abba n 4 seasons r way beta
ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

XxXx

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

JOKE !------- Seriously i would go for       Dr Hook` A little bit more`
                                                             Chicargo `If you leave me now`
                                                            The Real Thing` You to me are everything`

  And thats about it for me.

I agree with Kace about the Four Seasons, forgot that one

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Kace
lol i dont like dr hook ther 4 wets
ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

XxXx

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

mishmash
Candy Staton-Young Hearts Run Free

head and shoulders above anything else on that list

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Kace
hi mm i like candi staton thats a great song
ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

XxXx

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

mishmash
hiya kace,yeah very meaningful and a great tune

My mind must be free, to learn all I can about me .....

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

PattiforPM
What's wrong with "I threw me pitchfork at your dog to keep quiet" ?

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

mishmash
whats right with it!! its bloody rubbish lol give me meaningful over rubbish anyday

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Just one of the verses in this 1976 classic by the Wurzels, ive just played it again on YT and was pleasently amused at this long lost gem.

`I'll stick by you, I'll give you all that you need
We'll 'ave twins and triplets
I'm a man built for speed
And you know I'll love you darlin'
So give me your hand
But what I want the most
Is all they acres of land`

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

I noticed YMG compared Gilbert O'Sullivan with Leonard Cohen the other day and I don't usually pick a fight with our venerable overseer but please!  Leonard Cohen is Canada's poet laureate and G.OS may be lyrically competent but he's no Cohen.  Only Dylan comes close in my book.  Have you listened to "Live in London"?  The man's damaged but brilliant like most real artists

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Leonard Cohen,Gilbert O'Sullivan,Zimmerman all not for me thanks, i will stick with `The Wurzels` thanks

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

PattiforPM
I'm surprised Ryan with your way with the ladies that you don't find the musical poetry helpful.  The Wurzels will only get you a certain kind of woman!