Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Floid Fan
This post was updated on .
Hi Patti4Pm,
You've been on great form in this thread with the funny comments. By the way, I think YMG was being a touch sarcastic in comparing Gilbert O'Sullivan's stuff to Leonard Cohen's.
Another test: How many of this top twenty can you hum?
I can't do Real Thing's 'Can't get by Without You.' or Demis Roussos ' When Forever has Gone' or Slik's 'Forever and Ever' not to be confused with the more hummable Roussos song. In fact do many people even remember Slik. I think they completely disappeared off the radar, though I believe Midge Ure was in that group.
I'm very surprised the load of crap Mississippi was the third best selling song of 1976.
Carl

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Floid Fan
So 76 was a big year for Abba, Demis Roussos and The Real Thing who all had two entries in this list.
I think the better songs on that list are:
Candi Staton: Young Hearts Run Free
Rod Stewart: Sailing
Four Seasons: December 63 (Oh what a Night)
Chicago: If You Leave Me Now
Elton John and Kiki Dee: Don't Go Breaking My Heart.
 Though the song is a bit annoying, I'll admit the lyrics of Combine Harvester are actually quite funny.
Carl

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

 A couple of classic verses from The Wurzels 1976 follow up hit, `I am a Cider drinker`.  Im starting to really get into this farmyard fun now, THE WURZELS RULE 1976.

`It's so cosy in the kitchen
With the smell of rabbit stew
When the breeze blows 'cross the farmyard
You can smell the cow sheds too.
(Oh, I've never smelt nothing like it in all my life!)`

Now dear old Mabel
When she's able
We takes a stroll down Lover's Lane
And we'll sink a pint of Scrumpy
Then we'll play old nature's game.
(Ha ha ha!
Oo arr!)
But we end up in the duck pond
When the pub is sized to close
With me breeches full o' tadpoles
And the newts between me toes.

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Dave
Ryan mate.....not the Wurzels ! Youre losing it pal !!!!    Dave

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

Well unlike everyone else it seems i like all the songs listed in the 20 theres not one that i dislike everyone in my books is a classic in its own way from the year 76 ,theres not a lot of songs from the 70s i can honestly say i really dislike ,infact i will own up to owning 15 of these tunes in my own record collection and probably all of them on various cds now .a few years back i bought a cd called cheggars choice the very worst songs of the 70s etc and i really enjoyed singing along to it ,ryan i have now ordererd your b/day prezzie for this year off e bay for 1.99 p ,THE VERY BEST OF THE WURZELS ,check out them singing farmer bills cowman on it ,i like that song

Re: Top Twenty Biggest Selling Songs of 1976

JEZ
Needless to say that whenever we have had any get togethers with friends at our house ,people seem to get tanked up before they arrive because they know they will be greeted by me playing something like chirpy chirpy cheep cheep or george bakers paloma blanca ,its a standing joke with our friends, my choice in music