Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

Legsfan
I’m back from my summer break with some very exciting news!
Top of the Pops from the 27th December 1971 will be shown on BBC Four on Friday, 27th July. At the moment the time is unknown.
This edition hasn’t been shown in full since UK Gold showed it in the 90s and features a lovely performance of Pan’s People dancing to George Harrison. It’s very strange for a festive edition to be shown in July, but I ain’t complaining.
I can’t wait!

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

Gorgeous Daze
Similar thoughts: a bizarre bit of scheduling but most welcome all the same! Is this part of some kind of themed night or, dare we dream, the beginning of a run of repeats from prior to 76, I wonder?

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

VintageVideos
Great news. I'm on holiday right now with only limited access to the internet but I think this was shown on EinsFestival sans the Stones. This episode includes the (in)famous performance by the Tams where one of their members (or rather obviously a stand-in) suddenly disappears midway.

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

Legsfan
Gorgeous Daze wrote
the beginning of a run of repeats from prior to 76, I wonder?
I doubt that as they missed out the 29th April 1971 which is hosted by Tony Blackburn and doesn't contain any dodgy performers.

VintageVideos wrote
I think this was shown on EinsFestival sans the Stones.
Yes, so technically this will be the first time the edition has been shown in full in the digital age. Though I do have doubts as remember the 25th December 1973 which was listed as including the Sweet for weeks, but then edited them out. I have watched the EF version and I don't see any reason for it to be edited in any way.

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

This is really good news and looking forward to it. It does seem a random thing for them to do unless it is part of a theme or season. Perhaps their budgets have got so low that they can't afford to make any new programmes!

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

Pauly21
It's currently scheduled as only 20 minutes long.

I think that will change soon. The 25/12/1985 was listed as 30 minutes until about a week before it was due to be shown, then it was listed as an hour.

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Similar thoughts: a bizarre bit of scheduling but most welcome all the same! Is this part of some kind of themed night or, dare we dream, the beginning of a run of repeats from prior to 76, I wonder?
I dream of that too. The 80s editions are really starting to test my patience now. I desperately miss the 70s shows as TOTPs will never truly be TOTPs for me without the dance troupes. Bring back the 70s.

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I cant wait to see this, footage from my first Xmas!
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

CoffeeThing
This is so exciting, thanks for the heads-up LF. I hope I don't pull my favourite trick and forget to schedule the recording. I'm such an idiot.

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

zenon
That leaves 28/12/72 which includes the Harry Nilsson Without You routine as the only surviving and non-Yewtreed pre-1976 Xmas show that has yet to be shown on BBC Four although it would need surgery to remove Gary Glitter and Chuck Berry being intercut with bits of Rolf Harris on his drawing board. Will probably be shown this Christmas.

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

Legsfan
Now official on the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bcvl31
Ignore the 30 min run time, it automatically lists that because of the 1986 repeats.

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

That great news that we are going to see a 1971 episode.

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

Legsfan
The Rolling Stones night on BBC Four
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6b/2018/07/27

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

Gorgeous Daze
Legsfan wrote
The Rolling Stones night on BBC Four
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6b/2018/07/27
Boo! I was hoping this was the beginning of something bigger, not the start of a themed night.

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

Old Grey Whistler
According to Radio Times, the earlier edition is 20 minutes long  and the later repeat is 30 minutes.
Also there is no programme from 1986 next week.

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

Legsfan
Maybe the very first two parter?

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

Old Grey Whistler wrote
According to Radio Times, the earlier edition is 20 minutes long  and the later repeat is 30 minutes.
Also there is no programme from 1986 next week.
I think the Saturday morning showing is to be the full broadcast

Sat 28 Jul, 03:05 - 03:45, 40 min
Tony Blackburn looks back at some of the number 1 hits from 1971. Featuring T Rex, The Tams, Benny Hill, Slade, The Rolling Stones, Ashton Gardner & Dyke, Diana Ross, The New Seekers and Rod Stewart. Also features Pan's People.
Virgin TV

The EinsFestival edit (without the Stones) was 35 mins long, so 40 mins seems right. Would be great to finally get a full copy in broadcast quality.

Re: Top of the Pops 1971 on BBC Four

Legsfan
Thanks RMB. The Radio Times is still incorrect on the printed version, but I had no doubts that this edition would be shown in full.
I hope Pan’s People are kept in the earlier showing :)