Quantcast

Top of the Pops 1983

Top of the Pops 1983 starts on Friday 13th January 2017, with the 13th January 1983 edition at 7.30pm (Edit) and the full edition will be at 12.30am the same evening. For the first time in ages the edition shown will be from 34 years to that day and as there is only one edition, we'll have to see if the BBC is continuing the two TOTP years in one year. This is edition number two of 1983 as the 6th January 1983 was presented by Mike Smith and Tommy Vance which is a shame, but we do get the 13th January edition with both John Peel and David Jensen which personalli I quite like the double act they had. Yes I know I'm being optimistic, but I will be seeing if Dave Lee Travis shows up because if the '82 were done when he was still under his sentence it makes sense that they might have kept him off BBC Four so that it would fit into 2016, but if BBC Four does do the whole 1983 in 2017 I am keeping my fingers crossed, but I know it's highly unlikely though we should get a definate answer in the next few weeks. Also in '83 we welcome back Andy Peebles who hasn't presented a TOTP since 1979 (yes the Legs & Co days!) and he did make appearances on 'special' editions such as Xmas '81 & '82, but we only see him 4 times this year. It's nearly the end for Zoo on TOTP as in October they make their last main appearance, so I hope they have some great routines that we'll get to see as they meet the same fate of Legs & Co two years prior.

****The 13th January 2017 seems so long away, but I must remind all OFTD members that record TOTP to check your 'series link' to make sure it carries over to 1983 when your EPG's start to show that day as when '81 became '82 mine really messed up!****

                                                                                              Starting with  13th January 1983

Re: Top of the Pops 1983

Everything'sRosie
Yup, last year for Zoo...and dance troupes on TotPs. That's it. Forever.

Unfortunately one of their best remembered routines: She Means Nothing To Me, by Cliff Richard and Phil Everely, is, you guessed it, a victim of Yew Tree. Some things never change

Re: Top of the Pops 1983

The Rubberband Man
Everything'sRosie wrote
Yup, last year for Zoo...and dance troupes on TotPs. That's it. Forever.

Unfortunately one of their best remembered routines: She Means Nothing To Me, by Cliff Richard and Phil Everely, is, you guessed it, a victim of Yew Tree. Some things never change
My favourite Zoo routine is "Waiting For A Train", and guess what..... it won't be shown on tv either, because of J Sovile

Re: Top of the Pops 1983

zenon
Just to be sure, here are all the Zoo routines we will not be seeing in HD quality.

24/2/83 - Phil Everly and Cliff Richard - She Means Nothing To Me
5/5/83 - New Edition - Candy Girl
2/6/83 -  Flash and the Pan - Waiting For a Train
16/6/83 - Michael Jackson - Wanna Be Starting Something
21/7/83 - Gary Byrd and the GB Experience - The Crown
29/9/83 - Unique - What I Got Is What You Need

Sadly Zoo and Flick's farewell year is badly blitzed by Yewtree, only two routines will make it to BBC Four. On the other hand other than the 1000th show that was already gone anyway there are no Mike Smith omissions.

Re: Top of the Pops 1983

Everything'sRosie
That's a depressing list. The Crown is a fantastic record, would have loved to see the Zoo routine broadcast.

Just TWO dances! That's a real shame considering it's the last ever year for dance troupes

Re: Top of the Pops 1983

CoffeeThing
It's all rather disappointing. I want to start again.