Quantcast

Top of the Pops: Back to 1980 on BBC Four

Top of the Pops: Back to 1980 on BBC Four

For one night only the BBC are re-showing old Top of the Pops "Big Hits" & "Story Of" at the end of the month on BBC Four. I know most on here must have seen these dozens of times now, but some of the latecomers may have missed the showings over the years and this is the first time some of these have been shown since 2015, so I thought it would be helpful to post some of the dates and times.

Big Hits: TOTP 1964-1975
Featuring hits by The Supremes, Sonny & Cher, Bee Gees, Tom Jones, David Bowie and Queen.
9pm - 31st March 2017

1977 - Big Hits
Featuring hits by Boney M., The Jam, Brotherhood Of Man, David Bowie and Bonnie Tyler.
10.30pm - 31st March 2017

The Story Of 1978
Featuring interviews by Lulu & Sue from Legs & Co, David Jensen, Mike Read and archive appearances of Legs & Co.
11.30pm - 31st March 2017

1978 - Big Hits
Featuring hits by Blondie, Kate Bush, Odyssey, Dan Hill, Ian Dury and Boney M.
12.20am - 1st April 2017

*Break with the 7th July 1983 Repeat*

The Story of 1979
Featuring interviews by Sue from Legs & Co, Nile Rodgers, Chas & Dave, Gary Numan, Janet Kay and archive appearances of Legs & Co.
2am - 1st April 2017

1977 - Big Hits
Featuring hits by Boney M., The Jam, Brotherhood Of Man, David Bowie and Bonnie Tyler.
3am - 1st April 2017

I kept the original post, so I thought I would put it back up.

Re: Top of the Pops: Back to the 70s on BBC Four

Legsfan
You've just watched Top of the Pops 1983, so why does it have to end now!
From 9pm BBC Four will be going back to the 70s showing hits from TOTP yesteryears with interviews from Lulu and Sue with many hits that you love!
It goes on until 3am, so see how long you can go!

Re: Top of the Pops: Back to the 70s on BBC Four

Legsfan
If you do end up watching and 1977 big hits remains unedited, then just before The Stranglers, DLT makes an appearance as a shadow between links.

Re: Top of the Pops: Back to the 70s on BBC Four

Doc
Watching Suzi Quatro - Devil Gate Drive, I still remember watching this the first time and not understanding how the music kept playing when the all got up to dance!

I see Boney M. so we must be on 1977 hits now. Not too long until we see DLT, but I bet they edit that out

DLT is back!!!

Re: Top of the Pops: Back to the 70s on BBC Four

Legsfan
I'm guessing that before DLT was caught up in the Yewtree they kept his link like they did with Tony Blackburn earlier in the 1977 hits as the original show goes like this

So instead of re-inserting the clip without the ghost, they tried removing the edited link.

Re: Top of the Pops: Back to the 70s on BBC Four

VintageVideos
Yes there was a full link in the original. Jimmy Savile also featured in the compilation when it was first shown (still have the uncut original in my collection).
I don't know if it's cloudy or bright

I'm way too late to the party then. At least they are re-showing the hits, but its a shame about the story of '77. The intro to the story of '77 was also the closest BBC Four came to hit routines like Love's Unkind!

Here is one of my first posts when I mention him popping up back in 2015!

Re: Top of the Pops: Back to the 70s on BBC Four

Legsfan
Well, the BBC are getting the most out of the TOTP name, so they are now going onto 1980, again with the 'Story Of' and 'Big Hits'

The Story Of 1980
Featuring interviews by Suggs, Richard Skinner, Johnny Logan, Kevin Rowland and archive appearances of Legs & Co.
9pm - 14th April 2017
(repeated at 12.30am)

1980 - Big Hits
Featuring hits by Madness, Genesis, Jona Lewie, Sheena Easton, Motorhead and Spandau Ballet.
10pm - 14th April 2017
(repeated at 1.30am)