Top of the Pops computer tapes

GJB

Top of the Pops computer tapes

GJB
Since early December I have been locating footage for use on Dutch TV Music Channel 192TV as well as making suggestions of footage for screening.

Bert Van Breda has licensed 6 clips from Kal including this Chicory Tip What's Your Name in response to Bert supplying the info and copies on the 2 wiped TOTP of Cassidy & Judy Collins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nrgKHKBa4Q

This is what it looks like in Colour

The Colour David Cassidy Daydreamer (from the 500th) and the Judy Collins Send In The Clowns footage is located at the Dutch broadcaster AVRO/TROS archives, I'm currently going through their database trying to assertain if there's any further TOTP clips.

Other performances from the computer tapes have also been licensed to Andy Scott of The Sweet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcT45E3nbF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kud8R_OX3Tw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOJUvohQrco

Some of my suggestions have already been broadcast including:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtKMb0hJPWo French TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T5r40v14B8 from Be My Guest hosted by Paul Daniels 1977

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2gFpoWi_UM from Rock On With 45

As most of you will know I'm only interested in suggesting footage that hasn't been broadcast in decades, it's about time the rest of the world got to see some of the fantastic footage I've been watching in private for years, that's the whole idea and that's why i badgered the BBC to do TOTP2 30 years ago, I thought "If I wanted to see the stuff that's locked away I'm pretty sure hundreds of thousands of other music fans would too.

Re: Top of the Pops computer tapes

Doc
And we thought that ChicoryTip performance was a new discovery when Mikey saw it on YouTube a few weeks back. (It’s still shown as missing on the Popscene database).
Good work getting some of the archive transmitted and hopefully here’s to some more surprises in Bert’s archive.
Still living in 1979

Re: Top of the Pops computer tapes

Mikey
The information we previously had on this Chicory Tip performance was a 9 second partial clip was found, so im not sure if there was another anouncement about it we missed, but good to know where it came from. Of course this was repeated twice later so there would have been 3 chances to record it. Was there anything else with that we may not have seen?

TOTP - 11.5.72 (wiped)
Chicory Tip - What's your Name (partial) (00:09)
Pans People - Saturday Night At the movies (partial ) (00:14)
Tony Blackburn link
Elton John - Rocket Man (04:02)
Tony Blackburn link
T. Rex - Metal Guru (02:16)

GJB the pic you posted is better than the one i found (taken from off to the right of the stage) except its back to front, it should look like this

Re: Top of the Pops computer tapes

AC/PD
Have those timings been listed elsewhere?

Yes
Still living in 1979

May I ask where?

Re: Top of the Pops computer tapes

Doc
Kal published them and a copy is on the forum somewhere, Mikey put a link up to it recently in the chat thread about the time when Mikey first found the Chicory Tip clip.

Found it:
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Probable-new-Pan-s-People-and-TOTP-discoveries-announced-tp4160055p4164064.html
Still living in 1979

Re: Top of the Pops computer tapes