Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Floid Fan
That documentary tonight about TOTP 1976 seemed to spookily reflect a lot of the comments made on this forum by Ryan and Patti4Pm and others months ago about 1976 being a really naff year for music. In particular, a couple of the comments in the documentary that so incisively corroborate our aforementioned members thoughts were that 'the overwhelming feeling of teenagers towards the music scene in 1976 was one of boredom' and that 'the charts and TOTP in 1976 were not saying anything of interest or relevance to young people of the time' and we also got the inference that the mid 70s musically were a low point in-between glam rock and punk rock, that has also been said before.( Another interesting comment was that TOTP of vintage 1976, was the musical equivalent of a 'variety show'with acts catering for a very broad audience, hence acts like the infamous Wurzels, Demis Roussos etc)
It is surprising that the documentary was so thoroughly critical- hardly a ringing endorsement then of the very TOTP shows that are going to be shown weekly for the rest of the year! Doubt this will keep viewers watching. If they had done their research on views on that year's music before deciding on 1976, then perhaps 1976 would not have been chosen at all.
Never mind, we should bear in mind that at least we will see all three dance troupes and of course the main focus will be the wonderful, 'I'm not gonna say Groovy Kipper'- and we should finally be able to solve the Sept 3rd mystery- erm in September.
The first repeated edition from 1976 at least had the very versatile and modern (for 1976) sounding 'Music' by John Miles and the catchy oddity 'S-S-Single Bed' with the stunning Noosha Fox.  A predecessor of Kate Bush's perhaps.
Carl

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

PattiforPM
Great to see more comments from you Carl.  I feel like a bit of a Debbie downer in my previous views on 1976 but there it is.  Perhaps curiosity will keep people watching and some of them may have their minds changed a bit (as you and Ryan worked on mine). By the way have you seen HotLegs' montages from your favorite era?

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

`Nice to see you Carl, to see you nice`. Yeah the night spookily reflected the thoughts we all spoke about a while back, i agree with you about Noosha Fox, she was a hot chick all right. Im late for work so must dash, but please visit us more often Carl as its always good to read your words.

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
I've just sent last night's TOTP to PattiforPM via dropbox. If anyone else missed it, let me know, and I'll see what i can do.
You've all done vey well!

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Dave
  Hi Carl, good to hear from you again....was starting to think you had left us. From last nights variety of proprammes it was nice to have a few (could have been more ) short clips and shots of Ruby Flipper. Sometimes it used to feel if ever dance groups were discussed or talked about Ruby Flipper was always brushed under the carpet by the Beeb because it never really worked for the show. The BBC always has had its own personall politics and rules to abide by, which whilst Ican understand some of it, I have not always agreed with.....their loyalty sometimes to their artists who worked for them was sometimes sadly lacking and a shame for those who were "dismissed"  for so called poitical entertaining correctness.....I am thinking of the boys dismissal in RF,in particular Floyds. We have moved on in a big way since then,thank goodness , but it is still a shame that it happened in that way at all.........To the guys from Ruby Flipper, well done for what you tried to achieve.....fate just wasnt working for you at that time...sadly.  As to the remaining shows to be aired, I will continue to watch them...just out of curosity of course !!      Dave

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Floid Fan
Hi everyone.
Dave, I'm still around and about. Bit busier these days. Re you're comment on the RF boys' dismissal, I think it says a lot about Flick Colby (her kindness and sense of justice, as well as just recognising a good dancer, when she saw one) that she stuck by young Floyd and brought him back around 6 times with Legs and Co, once old Cotton had left his Head of Light Entertainment post and had bigger fish to fry. Ryan euphemistically calls Cotton 'old school'. And people's ways of thinking were so different in the 70s.
Still can't get my head around why they are repeating 1976 after all the slagging off of it last night. Could it possibly be that 1976, is the first year when they have complete editions (i.e. non-wiped) of the vast majority of that year's TOTP shows? That's the only reason I can think of.
Pan's people were good last night with Jungle Rock. Was that the elusive 'Lee' dancing in there with Sue, Cherry, Ruth and Mary?
Ah, Brotherhood of Man, the poor man's Abba. But at least Eurovision meant something in those days. I think Terry Wogan took the piss out of it so much down the years with comments like 'needing a stiff drink to get through the evening' and such like, that it lost any credibility. Who can forget other 70s eurovision classics like 'Ding Ding a Dong' and 'Abani Bi Abani Ber'. Then again, perhaps not. Time for a stiff drink!
Carl

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

 Dave, funny you should mention the boys dismissal in Ruby Flipper by the powers that be at the Beeb. You mention Floyds dismissal in particular. Yeah the racial overtones that were prevalant in those days are very disturbing to us 35 years later. But the guy i have most sympathy with is Phillip Haigh( i prefer Steggles, good old northern name). The fellow in my book was just has proficient a dancer as Floyd was. He of course also lasted the 24 week venture the same as Floyd did, but Phil never gets the accolades that his more `popular` colleague seems to generate. Added to this Floyds frequent return to the fold with Legs & Co and his stint in Hot Gossip young mr Pearce/Pearson (not sure of his second name,most websites are split on this one, can someone comfirm) didnt do to badly.
    I know Phil did other minor tv work, nothing as big as TOTPs though, but to me he got more of a raw deal than anyone in Ruby Flipper.I must admit i cant think of a poor performance by him, his dance with Lulu in `The Continental` will always be a favourite routine of mine.
  As for the other chap in RF, `Gav` well did he really get the sack ? How can anyone not want to hang around with those four babes day after day, i know i would have.

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Hi Carl, Unfortunatly there will be some wiped editions coming up from later in 1976, im thinking in particular of when L&Co got named on the 11th of November show, real shame about that, and i know you in particular would love to chance upon some of the missing RF routines, wouldnt it be great if one or two turned up though.
  Yes the BBC certainly didnt seem to enthusiastic about 1976 in there documentry about the year. I think the TOTPs of that year were chosen because one can argue it was the most pivitol year in British pop histoy. So many changes occured that year (just like the dancing troupes) in pop culture. I must admit the documentry went downhill once Mclaren and Rotten appeared. They seemed so new and fresh at the time, but nowdays they just seemed like spotty youths mumbling in the mic. I would love to know how long this venture into the classic TOTPs will last, knowing the Beeb they will cut short our fun with it though.

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Dave
Hi Ryan....enjoy some of last nights viewing down momory lane....good and bad ? I do agree that Steggles did a great unsung job with the girls and was probably the most proficient dancer of the 3. but doesnt get the rocognition that he desrved. As you say, with Floyd the unfortunate racial issue was prevelant and I think that Flick tried to make her point by inviting him back as often as she could, as long as he was not a permanent fixture on the show again, certain powers that were in charge at the time could not object without making more of it ....as to Gavin it was reported that he was not sacked but by mutual agreement with the Flipper management he left to persue other interests...music being one,gut they all parted amicabily. Dont get me wrong...I salute those guys for their brief appearances....all 3.  By the way,how did you find out the content of the next show on thursday ? Is it PP stuff or Legs we have to look forward to ? Also, how long will these shows be shown for....2/6months....less ..more ? If you have details please let me know.   Dave.

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Dave
 Apologies Ryan ...im so slow at typing and am being distracted by family, that I missed your last post to Carl which answers some of my questions.    Dave

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Floid Fan
Hi Ryan,
I'm sure in an ideal world Gavin would have loved to continue being a 'minor celeb' every Thursday night on one of the biggest shows on television at that time (unless he really hated being in the public eye; no info on that). But the internet anecdotes tell us that he was struggling to cope with the rigorous demands of Ms Colby's routines and left by 'mutual consent'. I didn't feel he had the same fluidity of movement as the other guys.
Floyd's surname is 'Pearce'. I am wondering if somewhere down the line (e.g. the person who put info on wikipedia) there was some mix-up with Ruth Pearson (easily done, I know. These two look so alike!) the manager of Ruby Flipper, as their surnames are similar.
You are a mine of information, Ryan. I had no idea that 'Steggles' is a Northern name. I wonder if he is from oop north then? and I wonder what the story is with the Steggles/Haigh set up?
Yes, Phil was a very good dancer in Ruby Flipper. Agreed. His 'Continental' with Lulu is sublime. But I would suggest Floyd is in a slightly higher league, even in Ruby Flipper. Just three quick examples: I can't help falling in Love, Love Hangover and particularly the start of  'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' for a good comparison. Mr Floyd's Legs and Co spots are an even better indication of his range and ability. In short, Phil is really good and Floyd is better.  Wonder what Phil did after RF?
Carl

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Floid Fan
Hi Ryan,
I think I read that the TOTP repeats is an experiment that will run until the end of the year and the Beeb will gauge its popularity. If it is quite popular,they might continue into later years of classic TOTP.
Carl

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Dave im just assuming that these shows will mirror the shows from 35 years ago, for as long as possible till we start to bumping into wiped shows. So next week it will be the 8/4/76 show with `Paperback Writer` and `A kind of hush`. I wont spoil whats else is coming up, maybe folks dont want to know, but expect 2 apperences from PP on the 15th,22th and 29th of April 76. Then on 6/5/76 its Ruby Flipper time with 3 apperences. I think the first show we may be struggling with is the 3/6/76 show, RF dancing to` Heart on my sleeve`. But heres hoping !

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Carl heres a good old fashioned bit of copying and pasting, others can do it so why cant i ! This is a question asked to Phil .

What did you do straight after?
Fortunately, I'd done other things before, so I'd had quite a bit of experience by then. So, I worked again with Nigel Lithgoe and did two live TV appearances at the Palladium and then went on to work with Brian Rogers on another TV series. Around this time I also formed my own dance troupe, Phillip Haigh and Wild Cover. We did the Donna Style Show, Ken Dodd, Windsor Davies and went to Belfast to entertain the British army. Then I went to Korea for four months to join the Bluebells, and worked in Seoul as their principal singer and dancer. I did other TV and fashion choreography.

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Floid Fan
Interesting.
Cheers for that Ryan.
Carl

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Ok Carl, could you imagine Floyd dancing `The Continental` ? No neither can i, so maybe Phil does have qualities that Floyd dosent. But i do accept Mr Pearce was the supreme male dancer, would have been nice for Phil to get the recall a few times with legs, for example `Sandy`, Patti danced this with another white male dancer, shame Phil didnt get the nod.

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Dave
 There is still the mystery re Sue and Phils duet as well .    Dave

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

I would only take a guess im affraid, id go for`Doina de Jade`. dont ask me why, it just feels right, i think this is more Carls domain though.

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

Dave
Was that an instrumental on Pan Pipes ? Maybe Phil himself would remember and help us out here.....bet he still remembers dueting with Sue !!! Er Phil...Steggles...old chum..what was that song you and Sue did ?    Dave

Re: Top of the Pops documentary and first 1976 repeat

PattiforPM
Cut and paste from Phil's personal diary:  "The Best and most memorable Afternoon of my life"