Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Decision made

Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Decision made

What is very apparent is the Tuesday to Friday polls on here are quite a popular feature. So far we've done Favourite UK number 1 singles from 1960 to 1989 and likewise the number 2's from the same period. These polls usually attract 20 or so folk taking part, so im keen to continue in some capacity. I have two suggestions but would welcome any other poll ideas you may have. Here are my two suggestions, please let me know your thoughts.
Suggestion 1...Well we've done number 1 & 2's, why not just continue and tackle records that only made it to number 3 in the UK singles chart. If this was to be done, i an only going to use the 1970's and 1980's. Ive looked into this already and 60's number 3's are just not well known enough.
Suggestion 2...I could select a weekly solo artist or group and simply ask you to vote in a poll to determine your 3 favourite singles by them. When i say singles, the record in question would have to have been placed top 10 or higher in the UK charts to qualify. That all works fine, but when one looks at Elvis Presley's discography for example, it takes on the look of a logistical nightmare. Anyway, if that suggestion is preferred, a set of criteria needs to be put in place. Id naturally keep a table with all the favourites listed. In time it would make for interesting reading.
Id like to commence next Tuesday and welcome any thoughts or preferences you guys have.

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

VintageVideos
I'm open for anything really, but I think I'd prefer the No. 3s idea.

Personally I'd also love to do a poll with US No. 1 singles. As an added bonus, this would give PFPM the rare chance to vote for John Denver.

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

Doc
VintageVideos wrote

Or US No.1's that didn't make the top 10 here.
Still living in 1979

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

VintageVideos
Doc wrote
Or US No.1's that didn't make the top 10 here.
Sorry but I wouldn't support that idea. Maybe - just maybe - exclude US No. 1s that also made No. 1 in the UK. Ultimately I wouldn't make any exclusions at all.

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

Who's That Hurll
It's time to broaden your horizons and look at the number ones of another decade. Let's take a trip to the 90s!

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

Well for me the #3s would make most sense and would be a relatively easy progression I imagine.  The best songs of each Group/Artist would be interesting but sounds a bit fiddly.  If we were to do this I would prefer allowing any song or, to satisfy purists, perhaps any single and maybe we'd be exposed to some interesting favourite rarities that way.  American #1s would be fine by me too as would the 1990s #1s but some of these might not attract the  full electorate.  You fill up my Senses....

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

  I would be happy with either of the two main suggestions, but if we did go for the number 3s I would be very disappointed if we missed out the 60s altogether. I, for one, would be far more familiar with these 60s numbers than for the late 80s. And for those hits that you don’t know very well, YouTube is always your friend. For me as for anyone else. Perhaps the 3 Polls could start at 1964 or 1965.
 For the option of  favourite singles from given artists, how long would it go on for? How long is a piece of string? There are clearly many artists we could choose from, so that may take a long time to complete.
Another idea was to go into the 90s for 1s and 2s. Again I would be unfamiliar with most from then, I feel. But would be happy to go along with it, if others preferred that route.
Thinking about it, I would prefer suggestion 1, but not to the exclusion of any other better ideas. And I cannot think of any myself right at this moment.

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

Michael
Just a thought, but how about a poll of all the songs danced to by the various troupes, from the Sixties through to the Eighties.

Each year could be divided into segments of three months, which would offer four weeks’ of polls for us to vote upon. On the fifth week, we could select the winner for that year, and then move on to the next year for the following week’s poll. Once the end is reached, the favourites from each year could then be whittled down over the course of a few weeks until the ultimate winner is revealed.

I’d be happy with the No.3s idea, though, but do include the Sixties; having to research unfamiliar music can be very rewarding.

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

Well after reading folks comments, most seem to be in favour of `the number 3's` option, and i favour that myself. Its just a case of what years to use. Defiantly 70's and 80's, but im not so sure the 60's will feature.

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

AC/PD
If it's to be No.3 record polls, the range might as well follow the pattern of the previous two positional sets and encompass the same three decade range too because as a few have already said, they become a voyage of discovery through YouTube.

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

I don't mind doing favourite No 3s. If we eventually get down to our favourite No.54s then some of GD's favourite songs will be featured  (only joking GD!)
Also happy with a US Number Ones poll. I would be able to vote for Huey in 1985 and 1986!
We could do a NZ Number Ones poll although I don't suppose many of you are familiar with Howard Morrison or Prince Tui Teka!

On a more serious note, I think Michael's suggestion of favourite song danced to by our troupes has some merit.
Or how about a favourite album poll? You could take the top ten selling albums of each year (perhaps eliminating greatest hits albums)

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

Dancer
Facebook have a number of chart related/nostalgic charts each week for discussion and garner a lot of input.  I like the idea of the American charts - Top 10 from a week as a lot of that music was danced to by Pans to Legs.  Or maybe an album chart for UK.  Alternate it week by week with your preference Ryan.

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

CoffeeThing
Glad it seems we are going for the numbers threes, just for continuity as perhaps the groups/artists idea, which is also very good, could then follow after? Doing both eventually gives us more polls to enjoy.

I too would like todo the 60s if at all possible, even if some are obscure. It’s always great to hear songs that I have not come across before.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

Old Grey Whistler wrote
If we eventually get down to our favourite No.54s then some of GD's favourite songs will be featured  (only joking GD!)
 More than a grain of truth!

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

Gorgeous Daze
I think the most obvious next step of finding our fave No.3 is my preferred option of those so far suggested. And Hanway's compromise suggestion of beginning from the mid-sixties is a good idea.

I instinctively liked OGW's idea of choosing from the Top Ten albums across the years, but thinking about it there will almost certainly be many instances where people are familiar with few if any of the options from a particular year, and YouTube isn't the quick and easy solution that it is in the case of singles.

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

AC/PD
As a further fair suggestion, perhaps we could have a Nabble poll in order to determine which of the suggestions proffered thus far is the most favoured topic for the next series of Nabble polls.

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Need your say.

Everything'sRosie
I like the idea of the best records danced to by Pan's/Ruby/Legs, but it's difficult to break down the years into manageable chunks. For example, take 1979, tracks like Tragedy, Ain't No Stopping Us Now, Off The Wall would definitely make the cut for me, but as we know from the repeats we have very varied tastes on this forum, so it would require people nominating tracks first to reduce the contenders to around the 10 mark. Therefore, the No.3s is an easier option, though I too would back the idea of discarding, say, the first 3 years of the 60s.

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Decision made.

Thanks to all who have contributed ideas and suggestions for the Tue to Fri poll. I don't really have enough knowledge or enthusiasm for American charts or indeed UK Albums (or LP's as we used to call them). So they were never really going to get the nod, but thanks anyway for suggesting them.

As for `Your favourite song danced to by our dance troupes`, well yeah, thats not a bad idea at all. We have done so many polls on here i did wonder if we had already done that one ! Anyhow, maybe that could be a poll for 2020, yep the 10th anniversary of the OFTDs forum.

But at the end of the day (gee how i hate that phrase) i think it best to take the easy option and simply replicate the No1 & No2 polls and proceed with the UK number 3 singles poll. In a way thats the correct thing to do, as to go with our Gold medal winner Kate and Silver medal winners The Fab Four, so we need to find a Bronze medal winner.

Now, i was contemplating ditching the 1960's for this. True some of the number 3's from the 60's are less well known to our ears, but we may as well do all 30 years. So you have been warned, some of those years are hard work, but like others have mentioned, YouTube will be getting a right old bashing.

I have to say here and now that i have no plans to do favorite number 4's polls. So make the most of these number 3's. Some fine records will crop up and im sure we will make a success of it. This begins on 21st May.

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Decision made.

Hanway2
  Thank you, Ryan. I am very pleased by the decision. Look forward to get cracking next Tuesday. Number 3s here we come.

Re: Tues to Fri poll suggestions ? Decision made.

Dancer
Number 3s sound interesting.  Agree no further though.  Going forward if you embark on the US charts I have plenty of chart statistic books by Joel Whitburn so you would not need to trawl through You-tube.