UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 14/03/1974

Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)
Performed by Aretha Franklin and reaching number 26 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 14/03/1974 Duration of dance - 3.16 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=420

Hey Nineteen, that's 'Retha Franklin, she don't remember The Queen of Soul,
It's hard times befallen the sole survivors, she thinks I'm crazy but I'm just growing old

(Steely Dan, "Hey Nineteen")

You know you've made it when another artist wrote a song about you - but you know you've made it big when a band like Steely Dan wrote a song about you. Aretha Louise Franklin certainly made it big - very big indeed. "The Queen of Soul" started recording way back in 1956 with the gospel album "Songs of Faith", but it wasn't until 1967 that her career really took off with the US R&B No. 1 "I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)", immediately followed by the record that would become her signature tune: R-E-S-P-E-C-T! But even though Aretha accumulated a total of 20 US R&B No. 1 hits during the course of 18 years, her highest position as a solo artist on the UK charts was no better than No. 4 in 1968 with "I Say A Little Prayer". A duet with George Michael in 1987 turned out to be her sole UK No. 1 to date.

"Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)" (which is the full title) was Aretha's 14th US R&B No. 1 hit in late 1973. Entering the UK charts in February 1974, it became her first Top 30 record in Britain since "Spanish Harlem" three years earlier - and also her last charting single of the 1970's. "Until You Come Back To Me" was originally recorded in 1967 by Stevie Wonder (who also co-wrote it) but not released.

Pan's People performed their dance routine to UYCBTM when the 45 peaked at No. 26 on the UK charts. The TOTP episode also featured Queen, Charlie Rich, ELO, Carpenters & Hot Chocolate to name but a few. Placed in front of a couple of fake palm trees and an image of a distant cruiser, the ladies are possibly representing a quartet of grass widows, probably rich women, demonstrating their ability to enjoy themselves while their better halves are not around - well that's my idea at least. Whatever Flick had in mind actually, it is clear right from the start that this is a witty routine.

Three ladies get a solo spot in this performance but there is just one dancer that owns this routine IMHO. Of course I'm talking about Ruth. Her incarnation of Aretha Franklin is simply priceless. Ruth once said that she loved Aretha and would have liked to dance to more of "those soulful singers". Watching her singing along (or rather, miming along) during this performance leaves no doubt how she felt about the music. Her impersonation is so convincing that at times you're inclined to believe that she is the original artist of the song. That's not to say that the other three girls didn't do well. Both Louise & Babs would have earned a nomination for their efforts - if it weren't for Ruth who upstages them with ease.

I cannot claim that I like everything Aretha Franklin has released, yet "Until You Come Back To Me" is an excellent record in my book. A great song coupled with a routine that heavily (or heavenly…) features my favourite dancer - no wonder I would place this performance in my personal Top 10 of all times. It's one of those dances that I just have to watch until the very end once I pushed the "play" button no matter how often I already played it before. It may even be the ultimate Ruth routine - sure thing, it is!

10 / 10

DotD: Ruth 'Aretha' Pearson

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 1974

PansLegs
Pan's People and Flick's other troupes that followed, had a versatility that enabled them to be silly one week, hot rockers another and also switch to classy mode when required with ease. This is of course one of the latter category with a chart entry that allowed slightly more creativity and different choreography than was generally the case with the top thirty.

Although we are down to four dancers for this one it does allow for a less muddled visual with the type of dresses, moves and 'chatty' sections, that otherwise may have resulted from a full complement of five. However, despite the classical training coming to the fore in some of the choreography, the glitzy frocks, the obvious delight at dancing to something less pop, overall it's not one I return to much at all. Maybe it's just not my sort of record and therefore the performance (that matches it very well) will never be either. 7.5/10 DotD Louise

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 1974

mojo2007
In 1962 a friend used to rave about AF but it was a while before she found her best, in my view. I preferred Madeline Bell at the time. . Back to the dance. Is it perfect ? Slinky sexy outfits,  well matched moves and for once we can see Ruth's face. Must be 10 with the lady in yellow DOTD.

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 1974

Sometimes Flick just hit one out of the park when it came to capturing a mood and a concept and for me this is definitely one of those times.  These dresses are just delightful and I absolutely love the way in which the ladies convince us that we're witnessing an animated conversation and for me it's between four beautiful bridesmaids at a Wedding but we can all interpret this in our own ways and that's one of its strengths.  I have to spare a thought for Cherry, who gets no solo but looks the bee's knees here, but it is indeed the lovely Ruth who really throws caution to the wind and who looks as if she could just enjoy herself lip syncing the whole song.  I watch this one a lot and have to thank the choreographer and dancers once again for a timeless and thoroughly enjoyable experience.  DotD Ruth and 9.5/10

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 1974

I guess that the house was invisible to at least us the viewers, what with the tapping of fists, when Aretha sings, #I knock on your door#.
& #I tap on your windows#, maybe a Let Me In  style set would've improved things beyond even the great dance routine that this was, the ladies are looking positively radiant in their assigned colours peculiar to each one of them, a far cry from the risqué garbs, of Legs & Co., by circa.1980.
There could've been a bit more effort made with that palm tree though, it's looking like it's been put through a gigantic flower presser.

8/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 1974

This routine certainly features some fine interpretive dancing although in Flick's shoes I'd have probably given Cherry more camera time and one of those solo spots.  However, the song isn't really my cup of tea, the ladies head wear doesn't really appeal, and those dresses, whilst nicely split, look like they need a really good ironing!  So only a 6 for one I rarely watch with Ruth my Dotd.

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 1974

It is quite odd how Dee Dee was often missing from routines, dunno why this should be, as Babs, Ruth etc always seemed to be on duty. As for this, well for a screen-grabbing quiz setting bloke like me, this particular routine has got me out of a few holes. The reason, coz the song title begins with `U`. I cant say Ms Franklin is an artist whos music i really care for and this song is no exception. The routine is pretty basic but does purvey a certain charm.

DOTD--`Lil Ruth`.

Rating--`8.5 out of 10`.

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 1974

Gorgeous Daze
This one just leaves me cold I'm afraid. I know Aretha is revered and respect to her fans but she's a prime example of a Marmite artist. Or equally she's the exemplar and original of a Marmite vocal style. I don't like it at all, and it's the template for the over-singing that's prevalent in soul and R & B today. The song is no better when Aretha's restrained, just boring. Dancing to it Flick and the girls were fighting a losing battle with me from the off. A pity America didn't do glam rock, as an overwhelmingly British phenomenon of bands most eager to frequent Shepherd's Bush in their glad rags it largely missed out on the Pan's treatment. The potential was mouthwatering. Not keen on the costumes, not the hats and I've just realized I'm not keen on long silky gloves. The choreography deserves some credit, notably the conflabs. But at times, taken with the song, the expressiveness irritates.

DOTD Ruth.  3.75/10

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 1974

PattiforPM

Gorgeous Daze wrote
 I'm not keen on long silky gloves
I'm dazed and confused.  I can see the song might not turn everyone's crank but I didn't think anyone would be able to resist these ladies in these outfits and their enactment of the song.  As we've said before it shows the value in reviewing these Dances to see all the different opinions

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 1974

Gorgeous Daze
Yes I thought that would raise a few eyebrows and my rating might seem brutal, but somehow I can't find any love for this and it's important to be honest. There's a Legs routine coming up soon that will get my first rating below 7 of 1980, but I certainly prefer it to this and I wanted to put some distance between them.

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 1974

VintageVideos
Thanks for all the different opinions so far. This fine dance still needs a couple of ratings to be included on the favourites table, so any more comments are very welcome.

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 1974

PaulF
Don't mind the song and enjoyed the routine, an easygoing mark of 8.5.

Dotd Lovely Ruth.
Paul

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 1974

Mikey
I think its fair to say this is one ive left on the shelf for too long and as a Ruth fan thats rather remiss of me. An exercise in literal dance expression perhaps but one thats got a charm and style i like. Judging from the rudimentary set (a set?, Pans have these now, happy days!) there appears to be a tropical island cruise dance night going on, the ladies flitting between a good gossip and a bit of dancing. Ruth (or maybe singalongaruth now) leads the routine in fine style, but the other ladies are good too, although Cherry gets a bit less focus this week for some reason.

An enjoyable routine, i'll give it 8/10 DOTD Ruth

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 1974

Old Grey Whistler
I really don't like the song at all however I do enjoy the dance routine. It is a shame that Dee Dee is absent however the remaining four all get a good amount of camera time.  Cherry though is a little under used. The production is generally of a high standard, well lit and there is some nice choreography so I will award it an 8 out of 10.
I can't look past Ruth for DOTD.

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 1974

A great song co-written by Stevie Wonder.
This is a first class routine with fine dancing,lovely dresses and a good set.Right from the start i love Ruth whose habit of singing,much like Lulu's,is so endearing and shows to me she's into it and enjoying it.10/10
DotD:Ruthie

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 14/03/1974

quite simply irresistible - will that do?

Scores: 10/10

DOTD: Ruth

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 14/03/1974

Doc
A variety of opinions about this one. It's middle of the road for me 8/10.
Dotd: Now for something I've not done very often I'll vote for Ruth.

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 14/03/1974

Dancer
This is a beautiful routine and the song also.  When Aretha sang ballads/love songs she gave it her all and the same can be said for this dance routine.  Loved the way the girls were talking amongst themselves and the outfits were very Upstairs/Downstairs too.  Ruth did a lovely semaphore interpretation for the potential deaf viewers and she is awarded best dancer.  The score will be awarded nine out of ten.

Re: UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME -- 14/03/1974

The ladies look very nice and look like they are enjoying the dance. Ruth looks very happy and really is the star of the show in this routine. I'm quite surprised that Pan's People danced to this because it only reached number 26 in the charts. This is a lovely little routine which I am glad survives through home recording, though it if it was the 70s, I think I would go as far as to steal a VCR to keep the routines forever.
I absolutely love this routine and is in my top ten for 1974.

Rating: 10/10
DOTD: Ruth
Devoted to Pan's People & Legs & Co.