USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

Old Grey Whistler
USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT
Filmed:  09/07/80 though never transmitted in full
Troupe: Legs & Co
Dancers: Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline & Rosie
Link: Blog: http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=1982

16. That is the number of TOTP shows that were either lost or severely compromised as a result of industrial disputes during the tenure of Legs & Co.  Throw in an extra couple of shows disrupted due to World Cup / FA Cup and you suddenly realise that we were robbed of somewhere close to 20 dance routines.
So what were we deprived of? Well we know there would have been a festive dance to ‘Brown Girl In The Ring’.  I think there is a good chance we would have had a mid-year ‘Funkytown’. 'Xanadu' is also probably a pretty safe bet given how often they danced to ELO.  Of those 20 dances , the law of averages would suggest that there would  have been at least 3 or 4 top rated performances that we shall never see.
The 1980 Musicians Union strike was triggered after the BBC decided to close 5 out of their 11 orchestras in order to cut costs. The strike lasted 9 weeks and probably would have gone on even longer but when the opening weeks of ‘The Proms’ had to be cancelled, the BBC came under increased pressure to resolve the dispute.
As the strike rumbled on, the BBC were planning a revamp of TOTP and the enforced break meant that they had time to produce a pilot show, on which Legs & Co were available to dance to Odyssey’s chart hit.

This is a dance that I enjoy watching and my enjoyment is not diminished even by the presence of B.A Robertson, perhaps the most irritating person ever to present TOTP, at least until The Spice Girls got to host it in the show’s final years.
It has to be said that even in their training gear, Legs & Co still looked great and we get some good close-ups of faces, and indeed derrieres. I strongly feel that they should have performed this dance as well as Funkytown on the Xmas 1980 show. I’m sure that it wouldn’t have taken them long to reacquaint themselves with it, they were probably dancing to it in cabaret anyway.

My score for this is 9.5 out of 10. I would have probably given them a maximum had they been in full costume and if Sue had of been there. Probably just as well that I am not running DOTD as it would have been a very tough choice. They all get good camera time and all have some good moments to enjoy.
1980 is statistically not rated as highly as 1979  but one wonders how much difference the addition of three such danceable songs as UIUAWIO, Funky Town and Xanadu would have made to the annual ratings.
The annual ratings table can be viewed here - http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Ratings-new-Whole-yearly-ratings-td4094487.html

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

Mikey
I've no idea how this one managed to escape the archives but I'm glad it did as its a really good performance. It may look initially quite rough without any real set and poor lighting but that doesn't matter once it gets going. Having been off air for over a month, they must have been glad to finally have something to record and even though they knew it wouldn't be broadcast they are all in a playful mood noticeable from Lulus backwards wiggle at the start, Gills hand gesture etc. Even in training gear (leg warmers and heels!) they all look great although my eyes are involuntarily drifting in Patti's direction, it looks like at the end she nearly comes a cropper with that spin but of course it doesn't count as it was never broadcast .

Top stuff from a nearly never was, oh and a decent song too. 9/10

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

There were some decent sounds around in summer of 1980 and many songs that could have got the full Legs treatment were sadly not performed to. At least we got this bonus filmed towards the tail end of the industrial action. We find Legs & Co in their rawest form sporting the standard kit for rehearsals. But oh dear, those leg warmer things that three of them are wearing are the height of 80s bad fashion, totally pointless.

No doubt this song would have been a full routine for the gals if the show had not been affected by strike action and i wonder how close these dance moves would have been to that. Anyway, lots of ass shaking and shimmying, and Gill is in fine form and for me is the star of this.

With Sue in tow i might have stretched a bit further, but im giving this a `8.5 out of 10`. Its good to watch this every now and again.

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

I really like this clip. It seems the girls enjoy the casual atmosphere of the rehearsal, and so do I. Lots of fun in this routine, great close-ups, and a good song as well. In full regalia this might have been a 10.

9 / 10

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

Something of a bonus for this recorded afternoon rehearsal to have survived.  Its rather relaxed feel, plus the presenters antics, indicates that at this point people already realised there would be no show that week anyway.  That said it is still good fun and worthy of an 8.

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks for all the reviews received so far. The scores have been pretty much in line with what I expected. I am looking forward to receiving more comments on this offering in the near future.

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

Legsfan
Back in 2015 when the TOTP previews made it to 1980, I was delighted that the 7/8 was shown shortly after the 29/5. When it got to the chart run down and I saw Legs & Co dancing to this I thought it must have just been a 10 second dance for the charts.
A little while later then I discovered the OFTDs, I was speechless when I found out a whole routine existed!! Though it didn't feel right skipping past this routine when I was doing the 1980 routine section.
Legs are at their best after a short break away and though only a "rehearsal" type of routine, it still gets full marks in my book (even without Sue).
I love this one from Gill at the beginning, to Lulu at the end. It is just great!!
Thanks OGW for including this in the miscellaneous dances!
Rating: 10/10

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

The Rubberband Man
Starting at the end, the dance sequence finishes with Odyssey singing, “Do it all night, Do it all night long, Do it all night long, Do it all night” and on screen there’s just Lulu, with a cheeky grin on her sweet face, looking like she’s in a very joyous and playful mood. Thoughts and images of Lulu shaking her sexy body down all night long run wild in TRbM’s imagination, and send the temperature and scoring of this routine to a justifiable 100/10

Looks like strike action or limited budgets brings austerity to Legs & Co with this stripped bare, no frills, dance sequence. The tight-fitting body hugging leotards are hot, the dance moves are extremely sexy, and all the girls look mega superb. We don’t often get to see the girls in this way which makes this little bit of film extra special. Good dance record from Odyssey to boot.

Seriously, 10/10 for this and it’s officially awesome.
DOTD - Lulu if we're DOTD on Misc Dances

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

Gorgeous Daze
What the rarified category of the demo routine allows is a looseness, and that's certainly in evidence here and very likeable it is too as we see Legs & Co not just as we commonly do enjoying themselves, but having a bit of a laugh and taking little liberties into the bargain. Indeed Gill enjoys an unthinkable liberty with a cameraman at the count of two! Odyssey didn't hit the charts prolifically, but when they did quality was assured and this their sole British No. 1 was a worthy achievement and a most inviting of picks for the girls to throw themselves into on their working holiday.

Nice to see the girls dressed for comfort, oh yes. I don't mind the leg warmers but rejoice that it turned out most revealing for the Mafia and the Platoon (remember them? ) Perhaps the brunettes were feeling the heat more. The one in fuchsia shows off a bit of freestyle ballet in the shake down and her solo (surprise surprise) is my fave bit out of all the fun. Though the way Lulu shakes every last drop leaves little wonder the previous poster couldn't help starting at the end. Mega!

9.25/10

Worth remembering that unlike most US disco acts Odyssey made themselves available for TOTP performances, so we can't quite take it for granted this would have been chosen in the normal course of things. Along with a first visit to Funkytown I'll throw Jump To The Beat in as another instructional routine and surefire winner that the strikers probably denied us that summer. At least we got an airborne taste in Ain't No Stoppin'.

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

Everything'sRosie
I will forever associate Use It Up And Wear It Out with my first day at work, after leaving art college the month before. It was everywhere at the time. Some records will always resonate with key moments in your life and this is a massive one for me, to leave the cosy surroundings of college life to be thrown into the harsh realities of the market place was seismic, but having this Legs routine to look back on now soothes the memory like the proverbial spoonful of sugar.

I really love this. Stripped down and far from the polished performance we might have seen if not for the strike, there is a sense of experimentatation and improvisation present here which makes it a fun watch. The girls look amazing in those leotards, but as others have said, legwarmers must be the most pointless (and irritating) fashion accessory of all time. I noticed the shoes they were wearing were probably the ones they would have worn for the performance. I know little about such things, but I'd imagine for initially working out the moves they would have been in ballet pumps or the like, which suggests they might have been closer to the finished product than I might have first thought.

With a sprinkling of imagination one can sort of piece together what this might have looked like "on the night", but you know what, I love it just how it is. And despite B A Robertson's topped and tailed desperation to make it all about him, he didn't stand a chance against the mighty Legs!

I'm going the whole hog with a TEN

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

Wow not seen this before.  I was always curious what they would have danced to in that hiatus.  I reckon Behind the Groove by Teena Marie would have definitely been there as this was serious underground disco as well as the Odyssey track.  Debateable about Xanadu as they had a video for that.  I need to look in my book and work it out and we can debate it.

This song is just perfect for them.

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks for visiting the Misc Comments thread, Dancer. I agree with you that the Teena  Marie song may well have been chosen. I still think that Xanadu would as well as they often danced to ELO songs even when there was a video available. Maybe they would have got their hockey sticks out of storage and danced to 'Play the Game' by Queen,  and I think they might have danced to 'Could You Be Loved' by Bob Marley and the Wailers.
Dancer, if possible could you please supply a score rating for this?

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

Thanks also to all the other reviewers for your interesting comments. GD makes a valid point that we can't say for certain that they would have danced to this song on TOTP, but it was such a good song for them and it was around the top of the charts for quite a few weeks, so I like to think that it would have happened.  'Jump To The Beat' is another good choice. The good thing about this speculating is that no one can be proved wrong.

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

Yes Teena Marie big time.  I need to look at the chart and work out which song and bullet it down below for you.  I wouldn't have thought Bob Marley would have been an option as there was a lovely video to this.  Stacy Lattisaw is a good option as that was a good dance song.  I will award the above eight out of ten.

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

AC/PD
Prior to the entire routine being screened at a music-themed Kal event, the glimpse seen in the "What's been happening while we were away" segment of the first post strike edition of TOTP gave the impression of a sneak peek at a Legs & Co. private disco/dance affair. Casual moves, finger-clicks, wiggles and posterial shakes getting a feel for the beat, independent of each other.
Incidentally, the camera which recorded the "What's been happening..." snippet is angled slightly differently to the shot which made the final unscreened edit so it might come from a different Take :

Beyond the glimpse, what we get is a Legs & Co. that has been kept in the cupboard for an entire month, now free and itching to hit the dance floor again, dust and cobwebs shaken off during the intro and grateful looks of relief and amusement - both from pert Patti and limp-wristed Rosie laughing at someone in their line of vision off-screen (Flick perhaps) - at getting back into a new routine in which the songs command to "Shake" acts as the focal point.
Good to see the girls performing in their rehearsal gear, particularly the waist-tied shirt worn by Pauline who spearheads the L&C train in the early part. Legwarmers are a bearable fashion trend some way off the bottom of that particular rung (I do recall a boy at school wearing them once for cross-country..but we already had our suspicions). Although more by design than choice, the black background only enhances the vivid rehearsal gear, which is as much an asset as the lighting.
Speaking of assets, Patti's impressive rear duet looks so much smoother than her solo spin which is hampered in part by visual imp(h)airment. During the break, it seems as if Rosie, whose own pleasing solo is preferred, has somehow grown even taller, aided in no small part by the head to toe costume, Gill still maintains her
shakeability powers and Lulu has lost neither her silent karaoke capabilities nor the capacity to affect 'scary eyes' syndrome (early on).
Risking ostracization and a plague of locusts, such is the entertainment derived from this unique routine, the holidaying Sue really isn't missed at all by this admirer. It's a one off proclamation but even if all six were present, the score would still be a pushy 9.
9/10

Nightmarish thought - imagine this dance following the trend by replacing the real Legs & Co. with stand-ins. Might be a test of patience to watch.

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

Suefan
AC/PD wrote
Crates of cold-shouldering Acrididae are being made ready as we speak!

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

AC/PD
I should have said Sue's absence is largely a one-off but even that could be seen as one too many!
(Prefer locusts to snakes)

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

I agree with those who have mentioned the somewhat freestyle nature and unadorned appeal this Dance exudes.  It's a great dance tune and it's lovely to see the Legs ladies taking advantage and one can't help feeling really lucky to be allowed to see this out of Season training video.  Like a couple of others on here (Platoon Special Forces cannot be mentioned by name for fear of compromising their delicate missions of course) I think the Brunette pairing is exquisite and has undoubtedly been endowed with the absolute best outfits.  If there was a DotD I'd be hard pressed though because they all have great moments here.  Anyway enough of my pontificating, I think this is worth 9/10 and only lost a mark for no Set and a Sixth Soul.

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

We find Legs & Co in their rawest form sporting the standard kit for rehearsals. But oh dear, those leg warmer things that three of them are wearing are the height of 80s bad fashion, totally pointless.
The leg warmers Lulu and the other two are wearing is not necessarily to make a fashion statement and are not totally pointless. When a dancer is warming up, the warmer their muscles are, the better (just like any physical activity). Having leg warmers on heats up and loosens muscles, and makes it less likely for a pulled muscle. When rehearsing, there may be breaks from activity, and to stop the ankles from cooling down, it's sensible to put on leg warmers.

Rgds,
Dr RbM

Re: USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT - TOP OF THE POPS PILOT

PattiForPM
for RBM